• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USADA - Armstrong

Page 401 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Late timing so the journalists don't have time to write it into a story. They'll just issue the press release.

Doesn't matter like that anymore. The stories will be written but the bloggers are where the damage is done these days

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Thats how I see it too.

He may try a late appeal in the Fed Courts, but that is likely to fail - and be nothing more than grandstanding.

One other point to add if he does not elect to go to arbitration is that a lot of the information could come out when Bruyneel, Marti (and probably some of the witnesses) cases are heard.

Marti = banned. Case closed.

Bruyneel, Celeya, and (hopefully, for Armstrong) del Moral will follow Armstrong. If Armstrong does not go to arbitration, the other three (two?) won't either.

del Moral could be a worry for Armstrong. (His own fault.)

BotanyBay said:
His only current route of appeal is the recent decision by Sparks. If he lets the USADA deadline come and go, he'll have nothing to appeal with them, as he refused to engage.

My guess is that he's counting on a real skrew-job from the UCI and their mafia circles. IE, even if the USADA bans him, the UCI, TDF, etc refuse to recognize the decision.

Much as I would like to see USADA have the opportunity to skewer LA in arbitration, I am keeping my eye on the larger prize and would like to see this lead toward an overhaul of the UCI - or at least its management starting with McQuaid, of course. Whether that happens via evidence that comes into the public domain through arbitration with USADA, or else if the IOC is forced to take a great interest when/if UCI breaks WADA code by refusing to acknowledge possible sanctions isn't important to me so long as the result is achieved. If they can take LA down along the way so be it, but in the grand scheme of things the war has to be won against the UCI. If Armstrong goes down, but the UCI remains intact, we've only won the battle. A very critical battle, but definitely not the war.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Sorry about the confusion on the times.

It is 10:00 EST 7:00 PST

He has gathers his most loyal propaganda co-conspirators and they will commence the shoveling of BS at demand

It is all Betsy's fault

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:

He has gathers his most loyal propaganda co-conspirators and they will commence the shoveling of BS at demand

It is all Betsy's fault

But what's he going to do? Do you know?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
LauraLyn said:
Marti = banned. Case closed.

Bruyneel, Celeya, and (hopefully, for Armstrong) del Moral will follow Armstrong. If Armstrong does not go to arbitration, the other three (two?) won't either.

del Moral could be a worry for Armstrong. (His own fault.)

Marti reconsidered and chose arbitration.

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Weapons of @ss Destruction said:
Much as I would like to see USADA have the opportunity to skewer LA in arbitration, I am keeping my eye on the larger prize and would like to see this lead toward an overhaul of the UCI - or at least its management starting with McQuaid, of course. Whether that happens via evidence that comes into the public domain through arbitration with USADA, or else if the IOC is forced to take a great interest when/if UCI breaks WADA code by refusing to acknowledge possible sanctions isn't important to me so long as the result is achieved. If they can take LA down along the way so be it, but in the grand scheme of things the war has to be won against the UCI. If Armstrong goes down, but the UCI remains intact, we've only won the battle. A very critical battle, but definitely not the war.

Good point.

If he does not choose, Door #1 Arbitration, it will be a hollow victory for cycling. Since the TdF began riders have been misused by organizers, sponsors, and the media for the benefit of a circus.

Door #2, confession on USADA's terms, the best hope for cycling. A pipe dream (perhaps).

Breaking news! Pat McQuaid is speaking at the news conference! I managed to get a hold of a copy of his text:

Friends, Texans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Lance, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with Lance. The noble George
Hath told you Lance was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Lance answer'd it.
Here, under leave of George and the rest -
For George is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable men -
Come I to speak in Lance’s funeral.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But George says he was ambitious;
And George is an honourable man.
He hath brought many trophies home to Texas
Whose prizes did the general coffers fill:
Did this in Lance seem ambitious?
When that the sick have cried, Lance hath wept:
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet George says he was ambitious;
You all did see that on the Champs
I thrice presented him the team jersey,
Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?
And, sure, he is an honourable man.
I speak not to disprove what George spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love him once, not without cause:
What cause withholds you then, to mourn for him?
O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with Lance,
And I must pause till it come back to me.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Merckx index said:
Breaking news! Pat McQuaid is speaking at the news conference! I managed to get a hold of a copy of his text:

Friends, Texans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Lance, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with Lance. The noble George
Hath told you Lance was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Lance answer'd it.
Here, under leave of George and the rest -
For George is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable men -
Come I to speak in Lance’s funeral.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But George says he was ambitious;
He hath brought many trophies home to Texas
Whose prizes did the general coffers fill:
Did this in Lance seem ambitious?
When that the sick have cried, Lance hath wept:
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
You all did see that on the Champs
I thrice presented him the team jersey,
Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?
And, sure, he is an honourable man.
I speak not to disprove what George spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love him once, not without cause:
What cause withholds you then, to mourn for him?
O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with Lance,
And I must pause till it come back to me.

Et tu, Brute....

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
&#197 said:
Would the UCI recognize USADA's decision? Would he be the 7 times champ in the rest of the world but not in America?

That will be where things get interesting. I think the strategy is going to be to let the USADA cards fall where they may, call McQuaid, force Pat to turn on the thug-screws in regards to the NGB's, Grand Tours, etc. Since Pat's involved in the conspiracy, he'll follow the plan.

The plan being:

Saying "F"-all to WADA and USADA and using-up one of his "get-out-of-jail-free" cards with Hein at the IOC. While they spend the next year "mending fences", the Armstrong stuff will go to the dead-letter-box and hopefully die.

Sucks to be Pat right now. He's Lance's puppet for the time being. Lance owns him.

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:

It is all Betsy's fault

what does this mean? He isnt really going to drag Betsy into it is he?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
That will be where things get interesting. I think the strategy is going to be to let the USADA cards fall where they may, call McQuaid, force Pat to turn on the thug-screws in regards to the NGB's, Grand Tours, etc. Since Pat's involved in the conspiracy, he'll follow the plan.

Sucks to be Pat right now. He's Lance's puppet for the time being. Lance owns him.

WADA wont allow it and IOC will have to pull McQuaid back then Armstrong will be forced to reveal UCI corruption which he has been a part of and destroy his own image, unlikley.

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
1. Sucks to be Pat right now. 2. He's Lance's puppet for the time being. Lance owns him.

1. A lifetime of truth.
2. It is no longer about Pat McQuaid. It is now about UCI. It is more complicated than you suggest, and certainly too much there for Lance to own. The bigger question is how much does Messick own, and in particular with regard to this side of the pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.