• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USADA - Armstrong

Page 432 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
microdose said:
Given all the bluff, legal threats, derogatory statements etc that USADA and Tygart have had to out up with the Armstrong machine + UCI does anyone know of the best way to show support for Tygart & USADA?

I'd love it if someone who was good with words could craft a general letter of support that cycling fans worldwide could sign/support as an online petition.

Please tell me a way to let Travis know what a Hero I think he is!!!!!

He fought the Lance and he won :)

Deploy the Cancer Shield

looks as though lance is Retreating behind the Cancer Shield..............
how Long is it likely Hold against New details which are likely to Surface

more Good News! I can't Imagine that Lance will Ever be an Official Guest
at TDF now

and No Place in Any Cycling Hall of Fame

I for One will continue as before................I will Never Buy Nike / Trek /
Oakley
maybe? Others could Pledge Their Support

No_Balls said:
Whats the reaction in America? Too small sport to make any headline off? Still considered a hero who everyone conspired against with evil europeans leading the witch hunt from day one?

Big news here in USA on every tv station.....just stating he won't contest the charges; denies doping but will lose his titles.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
The goal of making a credible list of winners from the EPO era is impossible. Strip Lance of his titles. Give them to Jan, Ivan, whatever . . . Then recognize the list of winners for what it is: Uncaught dopers from a dope-saturated era. Hopefully the stupid absurdity of it all will be a warning for the future.

+1 - and if can stuff the ballot box, +1,000! I think the only honest answer is not to strip ANY titles - but to wield the dread asterisk!

pugdog said:
Merckx, Anquetil, Pelissier scapegoats? really? What annoys me about all this is that cycling is now being made to appear as the sport to cast opprobrium on. So Blake runs and people cheer, football players go untested, swimmers are admired for 17 gold medals, female gymnasts reach puberty at the age of 25 and last figures I heard of 800 athletes of all sorts died of unexplained heart failure.

This is no victory, this is the massive sweeping of the problem under the carpet.

+1 - true, true. Like boxing in my father's generation, cycling has become the bad boy of sports when it comes to doping allegations. Yet there are several sports that are far more guilty, and a few sports that are about to have big comedowns (track and field, again!). It is probably a combination of the popularity of cycling, and cyclists' desire to have a clean sport (said desire being stronger than that, say, among MMA fans).

BotanyBay said:
Boy did I sleep well last night (yawn).

The TDF needs to have a drum-out ceremony. Lance walking down a black carpet, climbing upon the podium, Bernie rips the yellow jersey off his back, Lance climbs down and walks away as the assembled peloton subsequently turns their backs as the slow snare drum beat wanes.

:D:D I can SEE the picture! :)

Alpe d'Huez said:
I see this as only one small step. Armstrongs PR machine has already started and hell fight this in the court of public opinion and lawsuits for some time.

If you read news clips, and comments in the mainstream you can already see this happening.

+1000

The PR team is busy rewriting the history now. All the evidence in the world will be either met with silence or more contrived lies. As long as Wonderboy doesn't have to perjur himself, making stuff up and broadcasting it is fair game.

Hein, Pat and Weisel are still running cycling. The Sky fairy tale happened this year. The IOC's role in doping hasn't reached a large audience. USOC dumped 114 positive tests!!!!!

I think those are pretty non-controversial observations.

Yes, a sliver of justice has been meted out way too late. There's a long way to go.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
The goal of making a credible list of winners from the EPO era is impossible. Strip Lance of his titles. Give them to Jan, Ivan, whatever . . . Then recognize the list of winners for what it is: Uncaught dopers from a dope-saturated era.

Except the people you list are not "uncaught dopers".

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
poupou said:
Not sure. Hinault doesn't like BS and he is always straight. I don't think he could like someone like Armstrong.

"straight" is still an insult and understatement for the badger.

Of course Hinault doesn't like guys that are nicer than him. Lance is a softie and niceguy compared to him.
Anyway, I doubt that Hinault likes any guys. You can only hope that he doesn't recognize your post, where you speculate about him liking some guys or not. Otherwise you could face hell.
He will welcome you at the front gate I fear. :(

Wish you all the best. :D

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
neineinei said:
"Contador, who hesitantly partnered Armstrong during the American's comeback in 2009, says he has not followed the case and "I'm not thinking about it."
The Spanish cyclist, speaking before the start of the seventh stage of the Spanish Vuelta, says Armstrong "always showed such strength, great intelligence and spectacular physical conditioning.""

http://www.3news.co.nz/Alberto-Cont...rong/tabid/415/articleID/266777/Default.aspx?

Can't believe Contador did not say "I am back racing, Armstrong still has a lot to learn"

Bissell Pro Cycling team member Ben Jacques-Maynes, who has raced as a pro in the United States since 2002, called it "huge" news.

"This is bigger than Floyd (Landis), Tyler (Hamilton) and (Alberto) Contador put together," he said from the USA Pro Cycling race in Colorado. "I hope this will be the first step to realizing how poisoned this sport has been and how far we still need to come in order to move on."

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pugdog said:
Merckx, Anquetil, Pelissier scapegoats? really? What annoys me about all this is that cycling is now being made to appear as the sport to cast opprobrium on. So Blake runs and people cheer, football players go untested, swimmers are admired for 17 gold medals, female gymnasts reach puberty at the age of 25 and last figures I heard of 800 athletes of all sorts died of unexplained heart failure.

This is no victory, this is the massive sweeping of the problem under the carpet.

And cycling deserves its reputation - cycling may have been a scapegoat in 1998 or Pantani in 99.
Cycling then pushed it under the carpet - now its being exposed, yet again.

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
ebandit said:
looks as though lance is Retreating behind the Cancer Shield..............

Which for me is the really sickening part, those and there are many, who years back cringed at all the doping scandals but still, I suppose 'hoped' that a man coming back from cancer, who managed to win 7 Tours and who fronts a cancer charity, couldnt really have the gaul/gall;) and bare faced cynicism to use this as a mask for doping.

The fact that we now see what is truly capable when its comes to pro sport, a segement of our society designed to exite & inspire, sets all sports back years.

To hear other cancer charities pledge their support to Livestrong, beggars belief, how could any caring establishment now want anything to do with one that has profited from conning the public into believing whats possible in remission.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
ebandit said:
. . .
I for One will continue as before................I will Never Buy Nike / Trek /
Oakley
maybe? Others could Pledge Their Support

Yup - I've been off the Nike bandwagon for decades, actually. They ripped off the inventor of the waffle sole, who was actually working with them. He was the father of a man I worked with, and was proud to call friend for a time. This is not the first time Nike has put business before people, far from it actually. Their commercials may be cool, but those commercials are like a pretty face on a (forbidden words here, disease-ridden seller of favors) - hiding the truth.

Trek is newly added to my blacklist, because of this brouhaha.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Can anyone show me any mainstream news articles that are scoffing at Armstrongs claim that this is a "witch hunt"? Any that directly give credit to USADA? Any that say Armstrong did this because arbitration would show he doped with certainty? Because that is the truth, and I'm not seeing it anywhere in the media. None. They all report Armstrongs nonsensical claims like they are possibly valid and worthy concerns.

The Guardian's news article is pretty good, juxtaposing Armstrong's talking points with WADA rebuttals, and this opinion piece gets it right: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/aug/24/how-lance-armstrong-strongarmed-cycling

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:
sorry people, but this does not change the fact that he won 7 Tour's, he was the one that pedaled every stroke, he covered attacks, he attacked, he crossed every finish line, he stood on the champs elysees 7 times in the yellow jersey, you simply can not take that away from him no matter how loud you scream 'cheater' now.
I don't like Lance, nor have I ever been a fan, but this is very detrimental to cycling and helps no one, thanks Travis Tygart and POS rat fink Landis

Jeez! If you have a cancer and there is a chance you can do something about treating it, do you sit on it and pretend it isn't there?
If someone comes along and tries to put you out of business, take away your livelihood, does so (and perhaps takes away your own job for themselves) do you think it's detrimental to you or the business world to fight it? Do you sit there and think, good on him for achieving all the success and say he's a worthy winner? Open your eyes!

Jalina said:
Like most of you, I've been following a lot of the news sites and blogs and the associated comments. Some are mind blowingly stupid, but for me, this one takes the cake. Lance is now being compared to the Guildford Four. A snippet below, not sure if I feel sadder for the tool that posted this, or for the 112 people that liked it. It just makes me angry... implying he has suffered torture. :rolleyes:

"For any who take Lance Armstrong's prepared statement as being an admission of guilt, I refer you to the story of the Guildford Four and thousands of other cases where the human psyche breaks under great strain"

Full post by Alan Wright found here in the comments section....
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/24/s...-tour-de-france-titles.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2

I'm not as well versed on the legalities as some others, and sorry if this has been covered already or is a stupid question, but where does the Court of Arbitration for Sport fit into this? Is there any possibility that Lance can take his case there once he is sanctioned, or does the fact he refused arbitration with USADA mean it is not possible?

I cant believe someone actually compared it to the guildford four. Staggered

Status
Not open for further replies.