• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USADA - Armstrong

Page 434 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...-1st-1998-will-be-stripped.aspx#ixzz24Smw9KQs

Travis says that there is no impediment to releasing the evidence at the right time.

Travis also says that evidence is going to come out at the other hearings.

That's when it's going to really hit the fan for Lance!

Yep, there are still cases to be answered (Bruyneel etc., if they chose to go to arbitration) so they cannot release information publicly until those cases are wrapped up either way, but Travis Tygart has certainly stated that USADA will release the evidence when legally able to do so, which can only be good news.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
baby-crying.jpg

is polish back? I really want them to extend a cordial welcome home/we were so wrong, we need more entertainment in this too-serious thread.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Colin Cowherd just reported that this just shows LA is just a dude. He just did a little extra, that's all.

That's all?

Not getting concerned. they don't produce those 30 for 30 documentaries overnight. And a documentary spewing his overly frequent denials is not going to sell well.

hfer07 said:
an article worth reading:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cycling/st...t-against-usada-goes-from-hero-to-zero-082412

I'm glad that- at least - there are a good number of journalists out there looking at the facts-not the fiction imposed by LA & his PR machine..

"Armstrong tied his cycling titles and his cancer victory and his charity into one heroic narrative about himself.""

So now that his titles are stripped, when is he going to be prosecuted for cheating the generosity of people for his own benefit? This is really what I want to see done. The titles are just the fron end, the back end of it is what is disgusting and needs to be dealt with by the higher authorities.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Props to the NY Daily News for two well written, objective articles on the story.

Let's hope the rest of the media follows suit as time passes.

hardly surprising, the German press is following suit.

"Dopers amongst each other" (on the impossibility of finding an honorable TdF winner):
http://www.spiegel.de/sport/sonst/r...eckzugs-fuer-die-tour-de-france-a-851903.html

"Armstrong's nightmare" (on Tygart):
http://www.spiegel.de/sport/sonst/u...er-armstrong-jaeger-im-portraet-a-851893.html

and there is much more analyses flooding in, especially in the Sueddeutsche and Spiegel, two journals who have followed the Armwrong fairytale with very consistent criticism throughout the past years.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The best indication that Armstrong is guilty:

He didn't give up when he fought his cancer, one of the most deadly diseases known to man. He didn't give up fighting for victories in the Tour, the most grueling sporting event known to man, for 7 years in a row. He didn't give up cycling because of his old age and came back in 2009 and almost won the Tour again. He never gave up fighting if anyone dared to call him a dope cheat.

He's never been charged with doping before by any agency. This was the first time. It was official. It's serious. It's not hearsay anymore. His reputation at most stake, and he just gave up?

Witch hunt, my a$$!

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
The Doping Zombie Lives

It's not over with Armstrong. He will not accept a sanction from USADA and is still looking for the UCI to reject USADA sanctions.

Much will depend on the strength and detail of the dossier USADA supplies in formally announcing its sanctions against Armstrong. The more evidence presented, including affidavits from witnesses, the more difficult it will be for the UCI to resist implementing the sanctions and for Armstrong/UCI to challenge them before CAS or in the courts.

It will be interesting to see if Johan proceeds to arbitration. Armstrong has much to lose from the evidentiary fallout should it be made public. Of course, Johan has far more to lose economically from a lifetime ban. I put the odds at 60/40 that he will proceed to arbitration.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Cimacoppi49 said:
Of course, Johan has far more to lose economically from a lifetime ban. I put the odds at 60/40 that he will proceed to arbitration.
It seems fairly certain that Johan has a lifetime ban either way, so proceeding will make him economically worse off.

I suspect he'll avoid arbitration and make a statement similar to Armstrong's.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
zigmeister said:
USADA and their process is a joke.

What exactly have they proven?

Nothing.

USADA credibility equals zero...and their ruling is what I expected all along whether it went to arbitration or not.

Tygart and his clown operation must feel so proud of themselves. I'm sure St. Peter will keep their seat next to him warm until their arrival.

Aw Ziggie, are you sad you bought a yellow bracelet?

Cimacoppi49 said:
It's not over with Armstrong. He will not accept a sanction from USADA and is still looking for the UCI to reject USADA sanctions.

Much will depend on the strength and detail of the dossier USADA supplies in formally announcing its sanctions against Armstrong. The more evidence presented, including affidavits from witnesses, the more difficult it will be for the UCI to resist implementing the sanctions and for Armstrong/UCI to challenge them before CAS or in the courts.

It will be interesting to see if Johan proceeds to arbitration. Armstrong has much to lose from the evidentiary fallout should it be made public. Of course, Johan has far more to lose economically from a lifetime ban. I put the odds at 60/40 that he will proceed to arbitration.

My guess is that the UCI will get an explanatory sanction document from the USADA and not appeal to CAS. McQuaid is already backpedaling about the UCI trying to aid Armstrong. It will be easier to accept the sanctions and move on. The USADA can probably increase the liklihood of the sanction being accepted by not implicating the UCI in the document.

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
If this means the heads who let him do his thing will not be punished this would be a sad day for cycling in my book. I don't care for LA personally, he is just the exploit of the dark ages. Kimmage says the same I just heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZgns7CXeUI

Watch TT nod in the background around. I don't think the TT praise is warranted. He is just doing what he's obligated to do in his post, being paid a huge bundle to do just this. But wasn't long ago when he was just one of the fans? When he ought to have know a lot better.

Interesting how LA says "forgive and forget and let people get back to their jobs".
"I admire these people [ex-dopers] for what they stood for".....

I think a lot of the peloton are fans of the old school doping champs.... just as a lot of the public are, so it's a long way to go to sort out cycling and ram home the anti doping stance till it's real.

BroDeal said:
The USADA can probably increase the liklihood of the sanction being accepted by not implicating the UCI in the document.

Actually they can't. Because of the SOL-issue they have to proof that he conspired to keep his doping secret. Whom did he conspire with? Exactemundo, the UCI. FatPat is toast. I can almost hear his uncontrollable sobbing from where I am sitting. :D

Alpe d'Huez said:
Props to the NY Daily News for two well written, objective articles on the story.

Let's hope the rest of the media follows suit as time passes.

Ah, you're kidding right? The Daily News is one of the most reactionary pieces of media going. Any story that keeps the massed docile, resentful and conservative will work for them. The "rest of the media" will no doubt "follow suit" but lets figure that at least a few of them will historicize the issue rather than invoke primordial superstitious values.

GJB123 said:
Actually they can't. Because of the SOL-issue they have to proof that he conspired to keep his doping secret. Whom did he conspire with? Exactemundo, the UCI. FatPat is toast. I can almost hear his uncontrollable sobbing from where I am sitting. :D

The conspirators conspired with each other. There is more than enough evidence that witnesses were intimidated to prevent the conspiracy from being exposed. The stuff about donating to the UCI or even getting a UCI arranged explanation about a borderline EPO test, while embarrassing for the UCI, is not conclusive. The 1999 TUE is a different story, but the USADA may have enough evidence to show how the conspiracy concealed itself without inviting a war from the UCI.

OldManThyme said:

Watch TT nod in the background around. I don't think the TT praise is warranted. He is just doing what he's obligated to do in his post, being paid a huge bundle to do just this. But wasn't long ago when he was just one of the fans? When he ought to have know a lot better.

Interesting how LA says "forgive and forget and let people get back to their jobs".

I think a lot of the peloton are fans of the old school doping champs.... just as a lot of the public are, so it's a long way to go to sort out cycling and ram home the anti doping stance till it's real.

As much as I don't like lance and believe he doped I think kimmage is an idiot as well, The only time I have ever agreed with lance was about his comment about the use of the word cancer - it was out of order, just calling lance a liar and a cheat would have been sufficient

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
OldManThyme said:

I think the issue with most of the people is the massive effort to single out Armstrong is unusual. Even to the point of possible deals for the accussers and former teammates. That we don't know for sure, but it is likely. I think it's a sense of fairplay in big picture and how you look at that. Some just don't like him and any means to justice is fine with them. Others see him as no better than the others, but perhaps the means to bring him down as outside the rules of the day. The plot thickens.

CAS may rule one way and the USADA the other? I have know idea.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
My guess is that the UCI will get an explanatory sanction document from the USADA and not appeal to CAS. McQuaid is already backpedaling about the UCI trying to aid Armstrong. It will be easier to accept the sanctions and move on. The USADA can probably increase the liklihood of the sanction being accepted by not implicating the UCI in the document.

I agree. McQuaid will issue another idiotic statement along the lines of "What can we do? We have no choice but to recognize the sanction. Our hands are tied."
Otherwise, USADA goes to CAS, and IOC tears into the UCI and threatens expulsion from the olympics.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
aphronesis said:
Ah, you're kidding right? The Daily News is one of theost reactionary pieces of media going. Any story that keeps the massed docile, resentful and conservative will work for them. The "rest of the media" will no doubt "follow suit" but lets figure that at least a few of them will historicize the issue rather than invoke primordial superstitious values.

Just like LieStrong, keep the masses docile and believing the myth of wonderboy.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Cimacoppi49 said:

When will Johan face arbitration? When does the UCI have to decide on USADA's decision? If Johan's arbitration case will likely come before the UCI's decision, wouldn't Lance be pushing Johan to rescind the request for arbitration?

Status
Not open for further replies.