• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USADA - Armstrong

Page 447 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Very good written. May i ask to whom you send it? I had send my mail to nike.europe, but would like to get to the "headquarters".

Thanks in advance...

D-Queued said:
I Just Did It, and sent the following to Nike:

Subject: Armstrong reveals lie on Nike ‘Inside the Lines’ Code of Ethics

Dear Nike,

By so quickly responding to Lance Armstrong’s acceptance of his willful cheating with a pledge of ongoing support within barely 12 hours, Nike Inc. has exposed its own charade on fostering excellence or any commitment to ethics whatsoever.

Please allow me to report a potential violation of the law and a violation of Nike’s code of ethics.

Unfortunately, however, I do not expect anyone at Nike will pay any attention to this as Nike has just broadcast to the world that it does not honor its own ‘Inside the Lines’ code of ethics.

The evidence of doping and cheating was so overwhelming that the great contestant Lance Armstrong elected to not contest the obvious and inevitable in the USADA case. Lance Armstrong is now the biggest cheat in sport.

Nike’s re-affirmed support for Lance Armstrong, less than 12 hours after Lance accepted his lifetime ban is appalling and represents Nike’s completely hollow commitment to excellence in sport, corporate governance and ethics in business. Your actions confirm that Lance doesn’t represent Nike. Rather, Lance’s cheating represents Nike.

This quick endorsement following his acceptance of guilt may go down in corporate history as the penultimate example of corporate PR mismanagement. Congratulations on making #1.

Just as Lance once encouraged a teammate to run like he stole something, it is now obvious that ‘Just Do It’ must be regarded as an incitement to cheat.

You should be ashamed and Steve Prefontaine must be rolling in his grave.

For my part, I will never knowingly purchase another Nike product, or product from one of your affiliates Cole Haan, Converse, Hurley, Jordan Brand, Nike Golf, or Umbro for the rest of my life.

Yours truly,

Dave.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
gree0232 said:
I am just curious to see how many think that what USADA is doing is a good procedure? Well, how about we pick your favorite cyclist and see if this system hold up? Let's say I found ten witnesses, all anonymous mind you, and an embittered former team mates wife to accuse ...

er no

let's try again:
Let's say I found ten witnesses, all of whom will swear on oath under punishment of purjury that they saw you dope and that you encouraged them to participate. Some of these will be riders with high public respect and no previous suspicion.

In that case, yes, I would want any sports person including all my current favourites to be severly punished.

A

Anonymous

Yikes;

Ochowicz credited Armstrong with building the sport and said the Texan worked for his pile of wins.

“I think Lance, as I said, did a lot for the sport. We’re all grateful to him for what he’s done. I think he’s earned every victory he’s had. You know, it’s a tough day for cycling but we’re going to carry on from here,” Ochowicz said on Friday morning in Colorado.

“I’m a friend of Lance’s. I support his decision to call it. He’s done so much for our sport over the years. I’m sad about what’s transpired but at the same time, I wish him luck with his family. I love them, I love him.”

Odd that Och uses the word "earned."

"Stole" might be more fitting.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/08/news/jim-ochowicz-says-lance-armstrong-earned-every-victory-hes-had_235925

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
serottasyclist said:
I don't think there's any evidence that Hincapie, Leipheimer, et. al., actively participated in (1) covering up positive tests (2) distributing PEDs to teamates/encouraging teamates to use PEDs, etc., which is the basis of the lifetime ban. I'm not saying that none of them were involved in that, but I don't think USADA has any evidence of that. If there's no evidence the rider was involved in the conspiracy, then any rider that only talked about stuff they did outside the SOL period also won't be open to sanctioning.

The key phrase in your comment are the words by which you qualify the rest of your statements,i.e., "I . . think". None of us here now yet knows what the evidence really is, or what Hincapie, Leipheimer, et.al., really testified to seeing or participating in over the years. So your statement that they didn't do something is really just speculation at this point. You don't know and neitehr do I.

What we can surmise though is that someone like George, who was Lance's teammate from the beginning to end, his roomate on the road for all those years, and his constant companion and loyal lieutenant, knows and saw most of what there was to see. If Armstrong showed Landis where the refrigerator was in his apartment in Spain that were filled with blood bags for transfusions....Landis, a guy who had only been on the team for one or two years at the time... then you can bet George saw, heard and knew a whole lot more than even Landis did. Let's give George the benefit of the doubt that he didn't use PED's himself. But if he knew about Lance's use for as many years as USADA claims, then why is he not part of the same conspiracy, why would you contend that he didn't engage in the same cover-up, the same conspiracy that Armstrong has been accused of, and for which he's receiving a lifetime ban.

The argument that the ban Armstrong is receiving is only for trafficking and that George, Levi, et.al, didn't actually "traffic" in the PED's is really not a logically consistent argument in my view. "Trafficking" in the classic sense of drug trafficking, usually refers to activities involving the cultivation, manufacture, distribution and/or sale of substances that are illegal. The only way that term is understood to apply to the USPS "conspiracy" is that those alleged to have been involved help distribute it to others on the team. I suppose we'll never know, but if one aids and abets such distribution, one is also liable for the distribution itself. Aiding and abetting in this instance is the very act that USADA has alleged constitutes the conspiracy and the actions which justify tolling or not applying the ordinary 8 year statute, i.e., the fact that all these guys charged knew what was happening, concealed it and did nothing to cause it to be brought to light.

I think if USADA is insisting on a lifetime ban for a guy like Armstrong, and the rest of his teammates knew about the use, distribution and methods being employed for some or all the rest of the team to engage in prohibited doping, they all ought to get the same punishment, no more and no less.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
ManInFull said:
When will Johan face arbitration? When does the UCI have to decide on USADA's decision? If Johan's arbitration case will likely come before the UCI's decision, wouldn't Lance be pushing Johan to rescind the request for arbitration?

Methinks there is the Johan strategy.

Until Johan's case is finalized before arbitration USADA is hamstrung in revealing the evidence it was relying on to sanction Armstrong.

If Johan had thrown in the towel now the revelation of the evidence so close to the Armstrong "I'm innocent but too exhausted to battle" cave-in would be very telling against Armstrong's waning credibility even with the Polish/Zigmeister fanboys.

The more water under the bridge will lessen the damaging effect if Johan delays the announcement through his proceedings.

Johan will either proceed to arbitration or withdraw on the Tribunal's door steps. All expected to be funded by LA.

If he is in arbitration expect to hear about the sale of team Trek bikes by Johan's company which provided funds to assist in enabling team doping.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:

Dear Nike,

By so quickly responding to Lance Armstrong’s acceptance of his willful cheating with a pledge of ongoing support within barely 12 hours, Nike Inc. has exposed its own charade on fostering excellence or any commitment to ethics whatsoever.

Please allow me to report a potential violation of the law and a violation of Nike’s code of ethics.

Unfortunately, however, I do not expect anyone at Nike will pay any attention to this as Nike has just broadcast to the world that it does not honor its own ‘Inside the Lines’ code of ethics.

The evidence of doping and cheating was so overwhelming that the great contestant Lance Armstrong elected to not contest the obvious and inevitable in the USADA case. Lance Armstrong is now the biggest cheat in sport.

Nike’s re-affirmed support for Lance Armstrong, less than 12 hours after Lance accepted his lifetime ban is appalling and represents Nike’s completely hollow commitment to excellence in sport, corporate governance and ethics in business. Your actions confirm that Lance doesn’t represent Nike. Rather, Lance’s cheating represents Nike.

This quick endorsement following his acceptance of guilt may go down in corporate history as the penultimate example of corporate PR mismanagement. Congratulations on making #1.

Just as Lance once encouraged a teammate to run like he stole something, it is now obvious that ‘Just Do It’ must be regarded as an incitement to cheat.

For my part, I will never knowingly purchase another Nike product, or product from one of your affiliates Cole Haan, Converse, Hurley, Jordan Brand, Nike Golf, or Umbro for the rest of my life.

Yours truly,

Dave.
this is one well written letter! Bravo. A suggestion (unless you are ahead of me) - always cc the parties you think may have an impact on the subject matter. That is - don't waste time on the uci but do mind wada, USADA, aso etc

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
@Quickstepper listen to Travis Tygart's radio interview earlier in the thread, he says he wanted to clear the sport of corrupt doctors, team managers and officials in the interest of the next generation of athlete's.

He Lance was offered a chance to co-operate and he refused hence a tougher sanction (in addition to the severity of his deeds).

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Very good written. May i ask to whom you send it? I had send my mail to nike.europe, but would like to get to the "headquarters".

Thanks in advance...

Thanks again,

Also, please note that the reference to Steve Prefontaine is particularly relevant.

'Pre' was an important figure in Nike's history, and refused to win by 'cheating' himself - which included drafting behind other runners.

His personal ethics took Nike founder and legendary track coach Bill Bowerman to another level of awareness.

In the 1972 Olympics, 'Pre' lost to Lasse Viren who was reportedly blood doping.

The irony with respect to Lance cheating everyone, including with blood doping, should be unavoidable within Nike.

Regards, David

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
QuickStepper said:
The key phrase in your comment are the words by which you qualify the rest of your statements,i.e., "I . . think". None of us here now yet knows what the evidence really is, or what Hincapie, Leipheimer, et.al., really testified to seeing or participating in over the years. So your statement that they didn't do something is really just speculation at this point. You don't know and neitehr do I.

What we can surmise though is that someone like George, who was Lance's teammate from the beginning to end, his roomate on the road for all those years, and his constant companion and loyal lieutenant, knows and saw most of what there was to see. If Armstrong showed Landis where the refrigerator was in his apartment in Spain that were filled with blood bags for transfusions....Landis, a guy who had only been on the team for one or two years at the time... then you can bet George saw, heard and knew a whole lot more than even Landis did. Let's give George the benefit of the doubt that he didn't use PED's himself. But if he knew about Lance's use for as many years as USADA claims, then why is he not part of the same conspiracy, why would you contend that he didn't engage in the same cover-up, the same conspiracy that Armstrong has been accused of, and for which he's receiving a lifetime ban.

The argument that the ban Armstrong is receiving is only for trafficking and that George, Levi, et.al, didn't actually "traffic" in the PED's is really not a logically consistent argument in my view. "Trafficking" in the classic sense of drug trafficking, usually refers to activities involving the cultivation, manufacture, distribution and/or sale of substances that are illegal. The only way that term is understood to apply to the USPS "conspiracy" is that those alleged to have been involved help distribute it to others on the team. I suppose we'll never know, but if one aids and abets such distribution, one is also liable for the distribution itself. Aiding and abetting in this instance is the very act that USADA has alleged constitutes the conspiracy and the actions which justify tolling or not applying the ordinary 8 year statute, i.e., the fact that all these guys charged knew what was happening, concealed it and did nothing to cause it to be brought to light.

I think if USADA is insisting on a lifetime ban for a guy like Armstrong, and the rest of his teammates knew about the use, distribution and methods being employed for some or all the rest of the team to engage in prohibited doping, they all ought to get the same punishment, no more and no less.

Riders are not under a duty to report known dopers. So merely remaining silent doesn't make one part of a cover-up. The conspiracy involved acts such as covering up positive tests and distributing drugs to riders within the team.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
QuickStepper said:

That's a pretty amazing argument to make. Lance was the team leader. He was the winner of the tours. He was a co-owner of the organization. We will learn in due time, but the evidence will show he funded, directed and coordinated the TEAM doping that was mandated for him to win. Lance was clever enough to know that a doped rider would not necessarily win against another doped rider. But a doped TEAM would win against a doped rider.

The other riders chose to cooperate with USADA and were rewarded for that (the WADA code allows for a more lenient penalty in such cases). Lance gave USADA the middle finger - and at the end decided not to even contest the charges. He has no recourse. Why are you now demanding that his team mates who were most likely forced to dope or face exclusion from the TdF team, should get the same penalty as the ring leader LA?

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Carlo Algatrensig said:
Sorry if I've missed people posting it but what has been the reaction of Phil and Paul to all this during their commentating on the USA Pro Cycling Challenge.

I just got finished watching Phil and Paul being interviewed on NBCSports' show "Sports Talk" which immediately followed the coverage of the USProCycling Challenge. it's a show kind of like Pardon the Interruption on ESPN, but with only one guy instead of multiple hosts. The host (I forget his name) isn't a cycling fan, and as he was interviewing Phil and Paul, he kept telling them "Look, I'm not the brightest guy. I just want to know what this means for cycling."

Phil, still wearing a yellow bracelet, was clear that he believes this is going to still come down to a fight between USADA and UCI. He was otherwise very non-committal about it. When asked what he thought the reaction was from those in the peloton, he said it was about 50-50 and that lots of people have many reservations about USADA, its timing and methods, but others think the result is going to be good for the sport in the long run as it will close this chapter and allow everyone to move on.

Paul basically said the same thing, but he was asked specifically to give the perspective of someone who has ridden the TdF. He said essentially what Phil said, and added several times that he thought most of the current riders don't think this will be good for cycling, except that it will bring some closure, even if the evidence won't come out any time soon.

Both of them said that they think the whole situation still leaves many questions unanswered, and they both assumed that the only thing USADA would do is transmit a basic "rationale" statement to the UCI, and that UCI might yet decide to appeal it on the basis that only UCI has authority to sanction riders for violations that allegedly occur during international events.

Given that most people think Phil and Paul are truly homers for Lance, they didn't come across that way, at least not as much has they have in the past.

The show host also interviewed Bob Roll, who gave his perspective, saying in essence that he thought Lance had reached the end of his rope, and also saying he thinks the UCI still is going to have to approve the sanctions and that "this is only really the beginning" of what could be a very interesting fight.

The show also conducted interviews of several former teammates, including Chris Horner, who gave a glowing review of Lance, said he thought it was a shame and that Lance had just been hounded and had wasted too much money already fighting these allegations. He then said Lance has done amazing things in cycling and in raising money for cancer victims. I was actually surprised when Horner said, "I was there for one of the wins, and in my mind, he will always be the winner."

Others, including Jim Ochowizc were also expressing support for Armstrong, and Och also repeated the same thing about Lance will always be the winner.

I can't recall the others that spoke, but there were several others, some former teammates or colleagues and others who weren't. But the support was kind of surprising, and if I were the average fan who had tuned into the show to watch the upcoming NFL and MLB coverage that dominated the rest of the show, I would have likely come away with the view that Lance just decided he'd had enough because it was an unlevel playing field, and that this thing is still far from over or settled in terms of what the sanctions ultimately will or won't be.

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Tubeless said:
Lance gave USADA the middle finger - and at the end decided not to even contest the charges.
That's the thing. The USADA gave Lance the option of talking to them and he told them to go f#ck themselves. He brought this on himself.

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Tubeless said:
That's a pretty amazing argument to make. Lance was the team leader. He was the winner of the tours. He was a co-owner of the organization. We will learn in due time, but the evidence will show he funded, directed and coordinated the TEAM doping that was mandated for him to win. Lance was clever enough to know that a doped rider would not necessarily win against another doped rider. But a doped TEAM would win against a doped rider.

The other riders chose to cooperate with USADA and were rewarded for that (the WADA code allows for a more lenient penalty in such cases). Lance gave USADA the middle finger - and at the end decided not to even contest the charges. He has no recourse. Why are you now demanding that his team mates who were most likely forced to dope or face exclusion from the TdF team, should get the same penalty as the ring leader LA?

Oh, give me a break. Boo-f*cking-hoo. No one is "forced" to dope.

And my analysis didn't even assume that they doped. All I said was that if they KNEW ABOUT IT AND DID NOTHING, failed to expose it, failed to stop it, and instead helped facilitate it, they deserve the same penalty and don't deserve any leniency either.

So they were "forced" by Armstrong to dope, and then "forced" by USADA at the risk of further peril and sanctions but with offers of leniency, to spill the beans and break a decade of silence?

No, if that's the case and this is how it went down, I don't care if they doped or didn't. They ought to all be receiving the same punishment,the same bans, the same forfeit of results. Anything less is illogical, hypocritical and smacks of the "smelly fish" that Judge Sparks alluded to.

I am becoming more and more cynical by the day about all of this. Screw them all. If USADA is bound and determined to open up the entire can of worms, then let's just treat all the worms the same.

Really, how do you give J. Vaughters a pass, and excoriate Armstrong? I just don't quite get it. Or maybe Armstrong's only mistake was that he didn't start a team and claim that it's free of doping and that he just wants to see a "clean team" for once in cycling. What a load of bushwah.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:

Dear Nike,

Yours truly,

Dave.

Great, great work, Dave.
You feel important now, don't you ?
Must feel great, so I will participate too.

While you will make planet earth a better place, for you and for me and the entire human race - I will just send this mail to the Curiosity, to spread the message all over planet Mars. Sure there is a Nike branch somewhere there.
That will have a huge impact and raise the Marsian's awareness.

Thanks to you. Thanks again, Dave. Great work and a +10.000 on top of that. Outstanding piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.