• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USADA - Armstrong

Page 79 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ruamruam said:
You neglected to mention one thing. Before 1999 Armstrong and all the other cyclists used to push a 52/13 or 52/12, sometimes even a 52/11 up the large alpine climbs. In 1998 Johan noticed him struggling on the climbs and suggested using a lower gear. They ran this by Ferrari and he thought it was a good idea too. So for the 1999 Tour they fitted a double chainwheel (52/42) to his bike and whenever the gradient got steep, he'd put his chain into the bottom ring. He was laughed at at first but come the first mountain they stopped laughing. Do ye not remember the first mountain stage in the 1999 Tour? The whole peloton is walking up the Galibier and Armstrong was the only one able to cycle it without getting off his bike. That's because he was pedaling faster but using a lower gear. Armstrong had discovered high cadence.

Since Armstrong most cyclists use a lower gear in the mountains. If you look at bicycles pre 1999 none of them have a double chainwheel. Practically all bikes now come equipped with a double chainwheel.

After he discovered the benefits of using a low gear up the mountains, (he would still used a high gear on the flat and going downhill) he was a little upset as he realised he could have won more races earlier in his career.

Drugs had nothing to do with his success!

Why gee, golly!! Thanks Phil!! Say hi to Paul and Bob for me!!

May 19, 2012
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
I remember him saying that after he shed all that excess upper body bulk that it 'transformed him' as a rider...:rolleyes:

He also said that he had a 21lb climbing bike and people "evolve."

I learnt people havent evolved in the 6,000 year history of the earth in my creationism class, so I no that hes a lier.

ruamruam said:
You neglected to mention one thing. Before 1999 Armstrong and all the other cyclists used to push a 52/13 or 52/12, sometimes even a 52/11 up the large alpine climbs. In 1998 Johan noticed him struggling on the climbs and suggested using a lower gear. They ran this by Ferrari and he thought it was a good idea too. So for the 1999 Tour they fitted a double chainwheel (52/42) to his bike and whenever the gradient got steep, he'd put his chain into the bottom ring. He was laughed at at first but come the first mountain they stopped laughing. Do ye not remember the first mountain stage in the 1999 Tour? The whole peloton is walking up the Galibier and Armstrong was the only one able to cycle it without getting off his bike. That's because he was pedaling faster but using a lower gear. Armstrong had discovered high cadence.

Since Armstrong most cyclists use a lower gear in the mountains. If you look at bicycles pre 1999 none of them have a double chainwheel. Practically all bikes now come equipped with a double chainwheel.

After he discovered the benefits of using a low gear up the mountains, (he would still used a high gear on the flat and going downhill) he was a little upset as he realised he could have won more races earlier in his career.

This explains his tt improvement, how?

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
ruamruam said:

Very funny. :D

ruamruam said:
... The whole peloton is walking up the Galibier and Armstrong was the only one able to cycle it without getting off his bike. That's because he was pedaling faster but using a lower gear. Armstrong had discovered high cadence.

Since Armstrong most cyclists use a lower gear in the mountains...

Since I got my first bike I'd known about using the "granny" gear for challenging terrain. Armstrong was no more than 15 years old at the time, I could've been his mentor. Shucks. Missed out.

Microchip said:
Since I got my first bike I'd known about using the "granny" gear for challenging terrain. Armstrong was no more than 15 years old at the time, I could've been his mentor. Shucks. Missed out.

You missed your calling. You could have won a Tour de France. You will have regrets for the rest of your life

May 19, 2012
Visit site
ruamruam said:
You missed your calling. You could have won a Tour de France. You will have regrets for the rest of your life

Do you have the film rights to "it's not about the bike?"

I hear McConaughey is still interested...

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
ruamruam said:

That is the stupidist thing that I have ever heard. This very website currently has a "History of the TDF" article that includes a nice photo gallery. Check out the pic of Hinault circa 1979. Small chain ring...must have been riding downhill:eek:

spetsa said:
That is the stupidist thing that I have ever heard. This very website currently has a "History of the TDF" article that includes a nice photo gallery. Check out the pic of Hinault circa 1979. Small chain ring...must have been riding downhill:eek:

Surprised you made it all the way through that steaming pile: I couldn't get past:
Before 1999 Armstrong and all the other cyclists used to push a 52/13 or 52/12, sometimes even a 52/11 up the large alpine climbs

Jeremiah said:
Do you have the film rights to "it's not about the bike?"

I hear McConaughey is still interested...

My lineup for the movie.

Ricky Schroeder as LA.
Matt Damon as FL.
Rob Lowe as TH.

movie.jpg

The movie will begin with "Tyler (Rob)" saying "We all did it." :)

May 27, 2012
Visit site
ruamruam said:

Dangit! That would have been an AWESOME idea for my BMX when I was a kid. Grinding up those hills could have been infinitely easier? This Bruyneel fella' must be some kind of genius!!! Thanks for setting me straight. I always thought it was the cancer.

MarkvW said:
You're more than a little hyperbolic. While I'd easily buy "sociopath," there is no way that "psychopath" is a fair characterization of Armstrong. Sure, he deserves a lifetime ban in the USADA proceedings, and we'll wait and see what comes after that.

Well, I stand by my characterization. Ditto on the dimensions of the fraud. If that's hyperbolic for you, then it must be because only through exaggeration can we come to understand anything.

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Microchip said:
McConaughey's a great choice for a cycling movie, he'd play Fabian Cancellara if I had any say in it. ;)

As long as he will wear one of those speedo things that would be hot jaja! Maybe his hot wife can ride a tandem. That would be very confusing jaja!

Matthew has it all right since he is staying with Lance. We will see who his friends are in this witch hunt just like in Roger Clemon trial. Andy Petitie and George Hincapie will be eating at the burrito mobile outside on the road of Roger's and Lance's compound while the real friends chow down inside. This will all end well. As much faith as the 12 in here have Lance will go down he will emerge still the greatest cyclist in history and be an inspiration for all!

You people keep putting him down. I have faith he will prevail, and this will turn out like Roger Clemon. Government should stay out of the sport and livestrong nation will have the last laugh.

A

Anonymous

Katy in the Keys said:
As long as he will wear one of those speedo things that would be hot jaja! Maybe his hot wife can ride a tandem. That would be very confusing jaja!

Matthew has it all right since he is staying with Lance. We will see who his friends are in this witch hunt just like in Roger Clemon trial. Andy Petitie and George Hincapie will be eating at the burrito mobile outside on the road of Roger's and Lance's compound while the real friends chow down inside. This will all end well. As much faith as the 12 in here have Lance will go down he will emerge still the greatest cyclist in history and be an inspiration for all!

You people keep putting him down. I have faith he will prevail, and this will turn out like Roger Clemon. Government should stay out of the sport and livestrong nation will have the last laugh.

As TFF might say... "cool story, bro..."

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Hmmm, there's that "12 haters in the forum" number again.

Curious
Consistent
Curiously consistent....

I read this forum bro and I decide to make an account. Is that okay? Cool story bro I could write this here but this is a forum to discuss things and since I have something to say I will not cop out with cool story bro. Scott can you please put the picture of the hot beer girl back as your avatar?

What makes you people think this is it? The federal government could not pen anything on Lance so now some kangaroo court tries to do a endaround where he can't defend himself. I read the way it works and it has all of you people in a lather because now you have a cheap way to get your way since Lance will not be met on the legal battlefied where he would win as always. When Lance is met face up he face jams jaja. Face. He will still win because that is what he does and that is the background of your insecurity.

I predict he will write that letter on June 22 and tell them to suck lemons and bring it on. That is what he does and that is who he is and so many of you predict he would fold because that is what you are and that is why you are on this forum. He will win as he always does and you will find a way to find it just isn't so.

Katy in the Keys said:
it has all of you people in a lather because now you have a cheap way to get your way since Lance will not be met on the legal battlefied where he would win as always.

This is not true. Lance does not always win on the legal battlefield. Usually he just focuses on winning one three week long court case in the middle of the year. In fact most of the time he doesn't even bother turning up for the smaller cases. This has turned much of the legal community against him because they feel it lessons the value of their court cases.

Katy in the Keys said:
When Lance is met face up he face jams jaja.

I'll have to take your word for this since I have no idea what it means.

Status
Not open for further replies.