• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USADA saved my life!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/s...for-US-beach-volleyball-star-Jake-Gibb-073012

First the drug tester told American beach volleyball player Jake Gibb that he was suspended.
KEEPING TRACK?
Luckily for you, we are. Updated medal count.
Then he said to call a doctor.
A quick Internet search told Gibb the abnormal levels of hormones in his blood were most often found in pregnant women, steroid users and men with testicular cancer. A biopsy soon confirmed what he had already concluded. The doping ban was subsequently lifted, but Gibb was expected to miss the Olympics anyway while recovering.

''USADA actually saved his life,'' Stolfus told The Associated Press.

Strange World, isn't it? Is this "other side of the coin"? Please opine...

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
Diuretics can work, depends on the timing though.

Basically by simple dilution in the urine.
So wrt Armstrong (I am assuming I am not going off-topic because of the gist of the OP) was it likely he was using a masking agent to hide testosterone use hence his cancer never being picked up? I read on this board that there was a chance that the UCI was indebted to him because they never picked up his cancer during testing. But assuming he tried to cover it up he would have brought it upon himself to some extent?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
So wrt Armstrong (I am assuming I am not going off-topic because of the gist of the OP) was it likely he was using a masking agent to hide testosterone use hence his cancer never being picked up? I read on this board that there was a chance that the UCI was indebted to him because they never picked up his cancer during testing. But assuming he tried to cover it up he would have brought it upon himself to some extent?

The UCI ignored it.

Armstorng's ownership of the UCI started long before the 2001 positive at the Tour de Swiss, which is why he was not concerned when he tested positive. He knew they would take care of it.

This is also why Verbruggen is so concerned right now. Cockroaches hate the light

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
The UCI ignored it.

Armstorng's ownership of the UCI started long before the 2001 positive at the Tour de Swiss, which is why he was not concerned when he tested positive. He knew they would take care of it.

This is also why Verbruggen is so concerned right now. Cockroaches hate the light
Ah, so they thought he was positive for testosterone and ignored it but in fact it was due to the cancer. In that context it makes sense that they 'owed' him.

Ah, so they thought he was positive for testosterone and ignored it but in fact it was due to the cancer. In that context it makes sense that they 'owed' him.

They thought he was positive for beta-hCG. Normal range for men is 0 - 5 mIU/ml blood. Armstrong has used several different values, but one was 109000. So it is not like he was just a little bit positive.

It seems to me that he was probably using a masking agent. The lab would have seen the values and known it was not a normal case of an ahtlete using hCG after a steroid cycle.

Perhaps. However, Lance had symptoms that he ignored, in the same way the UCI ignored the test results. It wasn't until 10 months after the first symptom, that he went for medical help. By that time he had vomited blood. It's curious that he could 'blackmail' the UCI when he must have noticed changes taking place with his body. My speculation only.

EDIT: I'm not disputing that he had the UCI in his pocket after that - clearly he had! I'm looking at it from the angle of personal responsibility, he took an awful lot of time to go to the doctor even after experiencing serious symptoms.

TRENDING THREADS