• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USAPCC Stage 5: Steamboat Springs to Breckenridge, 170.2km (27/8/2011)

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
angelox said:
Levi looks ridiculous in this race this is a second category race that the younger try to win and the pro use the race for training but Levi is the only pro that try to win this kind of races maybe he can't do anything more, remember the tour always losing time, why don't he go to La Vuelta to try to win this race with real pro cyclist, you really looks RIDICULOUS all this youngest riders around you in the podium picture. Tour the Georgia, tour the california and now pro challenge, go to this 2.0 races and change your category. Theres no doubt of your ridiculous performance in all the race. The people want to see new faces not old guys, why arent you with Kloden in la vuelta, because it is not an easy race and you don't qualify for this races.
:eek:
you know little about pro racing, everybody in Colorado is trying to win. Levi is a little microman for sure. He still has lots of skills left and showed it during the race. Levi's career is almost over as a leader but he still has talent to offer a team if his ego will allow it. The Colombians, Rabo and Liquigassers all showed up and put out fantastic efforts but little Grampa one upt everybody.
Leave Levi out for a minute.any pro race anywhere is hard to win a multi dat stage races with pros on form as was the case in Colorado is an impossible task

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Deagol said:
This is all very true. The roads from Golden to Denver will be boring suburbia.
Downtown will be more interesting, but I believe the organizers wants a "true road stage" so you have to get to Denver somehow. If they use Flagstaff Mt above Boulder next year, that should hopefully satisfy the "gradient nazis".

We are off again to watch a stage. We'll be on Lookout Mountain and are expecting a madhouse.

I was thinking if they had a time bonus instead of just KOM points on Lookout, maybe the GC would contest the climb..

Oh well, I think Levi already has this wrapped up. Noticed there is no thread for Stage 6.

I wonder if they could have the last stage as a downtown ITT. While the topography isn't that exciting I'm sure they could come up with an interesting course that could add some drama to the last stage. They could bag the Vail ITT but still include Vail as a start or finish to any number of interesting Mtn stage routes.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
9000ft said:
I wonder if they could have the last stage as a downtown ITT. While the topography isn't that exciting I'm sure they could come up with an interesting course that could add some drama to the last stage. They could bag the Vail ITT but still include Vail as a start or finish to any number of interesting Mtn stage routes.

Yes, or they could do a cool curcuit race through downtown? The possibilities are endless for other routes, especially if they use the steep roads near Boulder (I'm thinking Flagstaff)

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Deagol said:
Yes, or they could do a cool curcuit race through downtown? The possibilities are endless for other routes, especially if they use the steep roads near Boulder (I'm thinking Flagstaff)

The problem with a circuit race would be the topography in downtown Denver wouldn't produce anything but a mass sprint with the leaders jersey safely in the main bunch with the ST. A difficult enough ITT would produce at least some time gaps.

Also, do away with the prologue. No need in a week long stage race.

Agree about Flagstaff. They could do a monster stage starting in Boulder and finishing in Golden (or vise versa) with three or four major climbs and a MTF.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
9000ft said:
The problem with a circuit race would be the topography in downtown Denver wouldn't produce anything but a mass sprint with the leaders jersey safely in the main bunch with the ST. A difficult enough ITT would produce at least some time gaps.

Also, do away with the prologue. No need in a week long stage race.

Agree about Flagstaff. They could do a monster stage starting in Boulder and finishing in Golden (or vise versa) with three or four major climbs and a MTF.

I posted in the other thread also, but I was thinking that two TT's was maybe too much, also..

I was thinking that they wanted the stage in Denver for the crowds, not necessarily to create separation? Sort of like a ceremonial stage as far as GC goes? Not my preference, but they make the decisions.

I’m sure lots of us will be waiting to see what route they choose for next year.

My pics:
A MTF on the A-Basin side of Loveland Pass, starting from wherever ….

Durango to Ouray stage

Some stage ending at Echo Lake (would it be possible to really go up Mt Evans ? I have my doubts) coming up from Idaho Springs side.

Steeps climbs in the canyons west of Boulder

Grand Junction to Carbondale via Grand Mesa & McClure Pass (163 miles)

Gunnison to Pagosa Springs via Lake City & Creede (169 miles) or MTF on Wolf Creek Pass?

May 14, 2010
Visit site
angelox said:
Levi looks ridiculous in this race this is a second category race that the younger try to win and the pro use the race for training but Levi is the only pro that try to win this kind of races maybe he can't do anything more, remember the tour always losing time, why don't he go to La Vuelta to try to win this race with real pro cyclist, you really looks RIDICULOUS all this youngest riders around you in the podium picture. Tour the Georgia, tour the california and now pro challenge, go to this 2.0 races and change your category. Theres no doubt of your ridiculous performance in all the race. The people want to see new faces not old guys, why arent you with Kloden in la vuelta, because it is not an easy race and you don't qualify for this races.

ImmaculateKadence said:
I think it has more to do with winning a big race on home soil than sandbagging as you imply. Remember Suisse, he won that. Or was that not a race with "real" pros?

Rouetheday said:
"Cocaine's a hell of a drug" - Rick James

Lol! :D
fatandfast said:
you know little about pro racing, everybody in Colorado is trying to win. Levi is a little microman for sure. He still has lots of skills left and showed it during the race. Levi's career is almost over as a leader but he still has talent to offer a team if his ego will allow it. The Colombians, Rabo and Liquigassers all showed up and put out fantastic efforts but little Grampa one upt everybody.
Leave Levi out for a minute.any pro race anywhere is hard to win a multi dat stage races with pros on form as was the case in Colorado is an impossible task

Give the kid a break, though. You have to admit, he's right about one thing, his essential point: Levi does look ridiculous.

angelox said:

How nice of you to register an account so that you can share your drug-addled rambling with all of us. Thank you. :rolleyes: