• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

USAPCC Stage 5: Steamboat Springs to Breckenridge, 170.2km (27/8/2011)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Just watched from the last summit and I'm still LMAO at those in the break. This is like having Big George winning the queen stage. It was fun anyway.

LaFleur said:
Who said that this stage will determine the GC? ffs

Yeah i heard that this was supposed to be some mountain stage.

To be fair, it did have a massive 7% section, a record for this race:p

But the stage was awesome. Reminded me of that epic Giro stage 5 last year where Pineau i think won after him Arashiro and Forchard held a 2 minute lead for the last 30k.

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:
Indeed. Still, it was nice to have Ten Dam (temporarily) promoted to "one of the top three bike riders in the world". :D

trevim said:
Ah that's was a really nice piece:)

And Paul was absolutely right about that.:D

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
I was watching tv on catch up, with 30km to go.
Won't bother now.
Carnage?
Who would have thought, Cav went the Spain, when he should have gone to Colorado..........
Cav would've been a safe bet to win the laughing group sprint against Van Hummel and Fast Freddie.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like I missed an interesting stage! Shame the break didn't make it!
Congrats once again to Viviani, but good on ya Andy for trying!!

Pretty cool finish, although it would have been interesting to see such a breakaway sprint (hats off to those four, Andy in particular). Viviani TFWC (ok P&P only said possible future world champion, but even so) . He does look to be real class though.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
ACF, why are you being such a jerk?

Most likely a lot of riders doing this race are being paid quite a fair bit including Cadel. I made that comment because generally when it is not the tdf or LBL Andy Schleck doesn't do anything so that's why I made such a comment. Similar with Lance at TDU.

Don't be so precious.

jobiwan said:
Sounds like I missed an interesting stage! Shame the break didn't make it!
Congrats once again to Viviani, but good on ya Andy for trying!!

Well, the 4 in the break (AS, Peterson, Basso, and Ten Dam) played too much cat and mouse amongst themselves. They only got caught by the bunch in the last 700m, so if they had worked together longer their break prolly would have lasted. But it was nice to see some big names there, and especially see Ten Dam there. Ten Dam was prolly the most animated of the 4 in the break.

But yes, Viviani looked strong and timed it well.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Most likely a lot of riders doing this race are being paid quite a fair bit including Cadel. I made that comment because generally when it is not the tdf or LBL Andy Schleck doesn't do anything so that's why I made such a comment. Similar with Lance at TDU.

Don't be so precious.

this race > tdu.

even with the pretending.