• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vacuum Cleaners

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

froze said:
I also have to keep the dog in the house when mowing because she wants to eat that too.
My family had one of those a while back (a Scottish Terrier), she would attack the lawn mower, so had to keep her inside while mowing.

Not the smartest dog I've ever encountered, but she was endearing in her own ways. (She just hated it when I farted, she was absolutely offended by it. And here I thought my farts smelled like roses.)

Our new vacuum cleaner!

It really sucks... :D

imageService

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
....the reason I brought up Panasonic is I have this little hand held that have had for 35 years....used for everything including construction projects and it just keeps on ticking...their air conditioners are the same ( and quiet too )....but this brand always flies below the radar in these fields for some reason....

Cheers

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Re:

twothirds said:
Dyson is worth it if you find them on sale, like around Christmas time (grabbed mine for @300CDN). I picked up a DC43 Animal (canister) and have only had a complaint with the turbohead which Dyson replaced free of charge (lifetime warranty on the machine and accessories). It's a good little machine. The performance won't blow you away (I was at first dissapointed), but we've had it for four years and it still works like the day we bought it. It grows on you. Does it work better than most others?n Yes, but I find that it's construction is where you pay. It's light and engineered to last. Also comes with numerous accessories to clean various things, including a grooming brush attachment. The cat loves to get vacuumed with it (he seriously does love it). If all you need is a regular vacuum cleaner for around the house, then there are other vacuums that work quite well for less and will last.

Had a Shark prior to the Dyson. Good vacuums, but when things go kaput, no CS to help you rectify a problem.
How about roomba ?

Re: Re:

Tylor said:
twothirds said:
Dyson is worth it if you find them on sale, like around Christmas time (grabbed mine for @300CDN). I picked up a DC43 Animal (canister) and have only had a complaint with the turbohead which Dyson replaced free of charge (lifetime warranty on the machine and accessories). It's a good little machine. The performance won't blow you away (I was at first dissapointed), but we've had it for four years and it still works like the day we bought it. It grows on you. Does it work better than most others?n Yes, but I find that it's construction is where you pay. It's light and engineered to last. Also comes with numerous accessories to clean various things, including a grooming brush attachment. The cat loves to get vacuumed with it (he seriously does love it). If all you need is a regular vacuum cleaner for around the house, then there are other vacuums that work quite well for less and will last.

Had a Shark prior to the Dyson. Good vacuums, but when things go kaput, no CS to help you rectify a problem.
How about roomba ?
I have two in the basement that I'll make you a deal on. Did I mention that they are junk? Robot vacs are an OK idea, but they don't last. I think that they are trying to jam too much into a small space and it just ends in junk.

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
Re:

froze said:
What is the best vacuum for under $200? I think the Shark Rotator Professional Lift Away NV500 is the best for the money, is it perfect? no but it is under $200 and on sale they can be found for $150 and sometimes even less.

Yeah, I agree with the previous responses, Shark vacuum cleaners are really good! I have such Shark Sonic Duo and it cleans everything very well, besides I really like the prices for them, I mean that Shark models have high quality and aren't too expensive at the same time :eek:

61i2vGZcX2L._SL1500_-500x1000.jpg

Also according to many reviews Hoover models are good and very popular :) Personally I can recommend Bissel and Dyson brands too, as I know from experience of my friends these vacuum cleaners have good quality too, here's for example some models of them https://cozzy.org/best-vacuum-for-hardwood-floors/. Hope that'll be helpful! :)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
...speaking of vacuum of a different type (perhaps off-topic here)...the vacuum sealing machines for food storage and preservation.

as i said before, we are big time into recycling, low waste, efficiency etc. consistent with the notion, i decided to look into the vacuum sealing of residual cooked foods, bulk-bought produce etc. i hear the preservation period as well as the extension of goodness lasts up to 7 times the non-vacuum alternatives.

i looked into several FoodSaver options priced btwn $50 and $200. would settle on anything rationally priced.

does anyone here have an experience with the sort of machinery to the point of recommending a thing ?

Re:

python said:
...speaking of vacuum of a different type (perhaps off-topic here)...the vacuum sealing machines for food storage and preservation.

as i said before, we are big time into recycling, low waste, efficiency etc. consistent with the notion, i decided to look into the vacuum sealing of residual cooked foods, bulk-bought produce etc. i hear the preservation period as well as the extension of goodness lasts up to 7 times the non-vacuum alternatives.

i looked into several FoodSaver options priced btwn $50 and $200. would settle on anything rationally priced.

does anyone here have an experience with the sort of machinery to the point of recommending a thing ?
I've been down this road a bit because there are only two of us so there are always leftovers, plus I was going to use it as an alternative to canning. The down side is more plastic waste from the bags. I explored that option a few years ago, and I don't remember too many specifics, but Cabela's had one that rated well at about $200. They claim that you can wash the bags in the dishwasher and reuse them. I've just settled on reusable/recyclable containers in the freezer, but as you pointed out, that has its limits.

http://www.cabelas.com/category/Vacuum-Sealers/104668380.uts

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site

jmdirt said:
python said:

I've been down this road a bit because there are only two of us so there are always leftovers, plus I was going to use it as an alternative to canning. The down side is more plastic waste from the bags. I explored that option a few years ago, and I don't remember too many specifics, but Cabela's had one that rated well at about $200. They claim that you can wash the bags in the dishwasher and reuse them. I've just settled on reusable/recyclable containers in the freezer, but as you pointed out, that has its limits.

thank you !
i find it curious that none of my searches on amazon ended up with a link to cabela's. i will certainly look into it. looks like a quality product when they offer a life-time warranty. most i checked offer 1 year with FoodSaver offering 5 years.
regarding the plastic bag waste, yep, it was my serious concerned too, but it seems there is a neat solution. may be even 2 neat solutions

check out this reusable vacuum zipper bags. according to some reliable reviews, they can be reused dozens of times. the trick is to own a FoodSaver adapter that would be placed in the circle on the bag.
https://www.target.com/p/the-foodsaver-174-vacuum-zipper-quart-bags-18-count-fsfrbz0216/-/A-14274849?sid=1150S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Appliances+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Appliances_Appliance%20Parts%20and%20Accessories&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9060351&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlLvP0Lfh1gIVhGSGCh1GTwB4EAQYAyABEgKyR_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

another method people say would be to use the classic mason jars to store stuff. there is a $10 adapter that would be required, this option is particularly attractive to me b/c we have lots of empty jars that just waste space after we've consumed their content. yes, we use canning including the pressure canning and i think now of vacuum filling them with all sorts of stuff we can buy in bulk...

python said:
jmdirt said:
python said:

thank you !
i find it curious that none of my searches on amazon ended up with a link to cabela's. i will certainly look into it. looks like a quality product when they offer a life-time warranty. most i checked offer 1 year with FoodSaver offering 5 years.
regarding the plastic bag waste, yep, it was my serious concerned too, but it seems there is a neat solution. may be even 2 neat solutions

check out this reusable vacuum zipper bags. according to some reliable reviews, they can be reused dozens of times. the trick is to own a FoodSaver adapter that would be placed in the circle on the bag.
https://www.target.com/p/the-foodsaver-174-vacuum-zipper-quart-bags-18-count-fsfrbz0216/-/A-14274849?sid=1150S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Appliances+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Appliances_Appliance%20Parts%20and%20Accessories&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9060351&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlLvP0Lfh1gIVhGSGCh1GTwB4EAQYAyABEgKyR_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

another method people say would be to use the classic mason jars to store stuff. there is a $10 adapter that would be required, this option is particularly attractive to me b/c we have lots of empty jars that just waste space after we've consumed their content. yes, we use canning including the pressure canning and i think now of vacuum filling them with all sorts of stuff we can buy in bulk...
I like the jar idea! Let me know how it goes if you try it!

http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/salad-in-a-jar/how-to-vacuum-pack-salad-in-a-jar-for-less-than-6-plus-a-video

http://www.foodsaver.com/accessories-and-parts/jar-and-bottle-sealers/foodsaver-wide-mouth-jar-sealer/T03-0023-01P.html

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site

jmdirt said:
python said:
jmdirt said:
python said:

thank you !

I like the jar idea! Let me know how it goes if you try it!

http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/salad-in-a-jar/how-to-vacuum-pack-salad-in-a-jar-for-less-than-6-plus-a-video

http://www.foodsaver.com/accessories-and-parts/jar-and-bottle-sealers/foodsaver-wide-mouth-jar-sealer/T03-0023-01P.html
just got some 1st (and seems positive) experience to report...

I bought locally at BBB the hand-held FoodSaver vacuum unit ($20). it came with 2 resealable ziplok bags in a pack.

packed 2 different kinds of hard cheeses in them. holds up beautifully for over 24h now despite being open/resealed (for wine) last night.

also, tried one of the methods from your link. the one that uses a regular, empty 12oz jar with a regular twist-off top. Loaded it with more cheese, poked a tiny hole in the centre and covered with a small piece of the insulation tape. applied my hand-held vacuum machine...it sealed it off so well that EVEN a jar opening lever was barely able to twist off. the pop was real loud...i like it already :D

i also ordered the mason jar adapter set on line. will let you know how that works when ready. the little unit works so well that i now hesitate to buy a table-top machine...

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
....and flying under the radar but producing real work horses, Panasonic....they have a wicked bearing design that works wonders ( and also when applied to their air conditioners....as quiet and efficient as one can get...)....

Cheers

Re:

jmdirt said:
Shark has a new Ion battery (no cord!) vac now. Since I just bought a new vac less than a year ago, and because the new shark is a bit spendy IMO, I'll wait for a while, but I do want to go cordless!

https://www.sharkclean.com/vacuums/ionflex-cordless-vacuum-series/
I was at BBB and checked the ionflex out: it seems flimsy, and the flex feature seems like a failure in waiting. Its is very light though. The price is already coming down on them, and as more people use them for some time maybe we will get some feedback on their durability.

jmdirt said:
jmdirt said:
Shark has a new Ion battery (no cord!) vac now. Since I just bought a new vac less than a year ago, and because the new shark is a bit spendy IMO, I'll wait for a while, but I do want to go cordless!

https://www.sharkclean.com/vacuums/ionflex-cordless-vacuum-series/
I was at BBB and checked the ionflex out: it seems flimsy, and the flex feature seems like a failure in waiting. Its is very light though. The price is already coming down on them, and as more people use them for some time maybe we will get some feedback on their durability.
As I was vacuuming earlier today I had the same thought, I'm so tired of getting wrapped up in the cord!

But like you I'm hesitant about getting a cordless, until it's proven to be as strong as a corded one I'll just have to put up with the freaking cord.

Re:

jmdirt said:
I bought a Shark ION P50 cordless upright:
https://www.sharkclean.com/exclusive-offer/IC162WBKT/shark-ion-p50-powered-lift-away-cordless-upright-vacuum/

BB&B had them on sale, plus I used one of their 20% of coupons so I got it for $255. I can give a detailed review after some more use if anyone is interested. Initial impressions: no cord is as awesome as I expected! :) Duo clean is good on my hardwood (most of my house). The only 'negative' so far is the long battery charging time.
Seeing as I'm always interested in the latest of vacuuming technology -

How's your latest vacuum model holding up, jmdirt? Are you still happy with it?

Tricycle Rider said:
jmdirt said:
I bought a Shark ION P50 cordless upright:
https://www.sharkclean.com/exclusive-offer/IC162WBKT/shark-ion-p50-powered-lift-away-cordless-upright-vacuum/

BB&B had them on sale, plus I used one of their 20% of coupons so I got it for $255. I can give a detailed review after some more use if anyone is interested. Initial impressions: no cord is as awesome as I expected! :) Duo clean is good on my hardwood (most of my house). The only 'negative' so far is the long battery charging time.
Seeing as I'm always interested in the latest of vacuuming technology -

How's your latest vacuum model holding up, jmdirt? Are you still happy with it?
Its good! Not having a cord not only makes it easier on vac day, but quick clean ups are easy with it too. So far I would definitely recommend it.

Jan 12, 2019
Visit site
Any good European vacuum with a parquet floor brush should do the trick. Miele makes an excellent one and they have both a regular and XL parquet floor brush available. My C3 Alize also has Dynamic Drive wheels, so air-filled and with suspension, so when pulled across tiled grout-lines it pulls very smoothly and quietly.

TRENDING THREADS