• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Valjavec has been proven innocent -- NOT

Animal said:

If the Slovenian federation finds that he's done no wrong it makes these "irregular value" suspensions far more difficult (and probably not worth the bother).

There are huge ramifications of this and other cases (Pelizotti), it doesn't matter whether it's teams or national federations defending dopers, if it can't get through the courts then you're not going to see any passport related suspensions in the future.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
as long as LA's stable or even slightly rising Hb and Hct during the Tour 2009 were no reason for suspension, the blood passport is anyway a farce.

Although, I have been told by various sources that the fear of "normal" (non UCI protected) riders has led to substantial less pumping, mostly microdosing only... for what it's worth...

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
MajorTom said:
Variations in Basso's and Armstrong's blood values were bigger and they were not suspended.

So what?
What Basso values are you talking about? Pat McQuaid held up his numbers from the Giro as a sign that cycling is getting cleaner, because the values went down during the race as they should.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
What Basso values are you talking about? Pat McQuaid held up his numbers from the Giro as a sign that cycling is getting cleaner, because the values went down during the race as they should.

I was paraphrasing the quote from Slovenian newspaper Delo (May 5th 2010), I haven't seen blood values.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
the uci will appeal it. almost guaranteed.

don't recall all the technicalities, but wasn't valjavec explaining it by diarrhea/dehydration ? if that's still the basis for his acquittal, the uci will take to cas. they simply can't afford the passport blemished by such excuses.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Animal said:
Worthy of Public Strategies.

I take this as a compliment. Thank you.

python said:
the uci will appeal it. almost guaranteed.
No doubt about that.

python said:
don't recall all the technicalities, but wasn't valjavec explaining it by diarrhea/dehydration ? if that's still the basis for his acquittal, the uci will take to cas. they simply can't afford the passport blemished by such excuses.

I'm not sure but I think his explanation was that he was having serious problems with stomach and also training hard for the Giro, so his hematocrit levels were lower than usual.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Have the exact irregularities in Tadej's passport been published anywhere? Did he have lower hematocrit than usual? Did his other values point to some good ol' blood harvesting?

The lowest hematocrit level in his career was 41 and the highest was 49.8 - reached only one time. I don't know what levels are in his blood passport, this numbers are from his whole career.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Pello

Any news on Il Delfino ?

With this bad news for the UCI now public it shouldn't take that long for the next blow to BP.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
The UCI should respond to this, because it is not the first instance, by restricting the role of national federations to non pro-conti and pro-tour riders. These riders should get some form of global licence with increased obligations.

Having said that I know of one elite Central American rider who tested positive for a steroid back in March or April and there hasn't been any hearing or sanction or any other action whatsoever by this national federation.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
This is exactly why the BP is currently more useful as doping limiter than proof of doping. The BP can help to identify those to target with more tests, but as proof alone of doping, I don't think the science is at the point where we can say without a doubt that someone is doping just based on their blood profiles.
Of course I could be wrong. It seems to me that we need to see some more long-term studies establishing what a doped profile is versus an un-doped profile of elite riders throughout the season and what happens when they are sick/injured/dehydrated, etc. Otherwise, we will see more cases like Valjavec's.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
http://www.tadejvaljavec.com/novice.php?newsID=302

quick google translate

Tadej is back!

May was third in the UCI announcement that the blood levels in a biological passport Tadej Valjavec abnormal. On this basis, did not appear at the Giro d'Italia d'Italia 2010, and it can be suspended Ag2r team. After heavy and long three months of proof of innocence by the NAK (national anti-doping commission) met on 07.29.2010 for the innocent.

Thank your loved ones and of course the team with whom we cooperate in seeking justice in the maze of allegations made by the UCI. Similarly, the UCI has never stated exactly what I am accused, it was all even more difficult. It seems absurd to me that I was on the basis of screening formula sentenced to breach anti-doping rules, without a single direct evidence. I can say that the UCI has acted incorrect, but also did not follow their rules in regard to factors such as training at altitude. I must stress that I did not challenge the method itself, but I think that the method used in a different way. Derogation under this formula does not necessarily reflect the violation of rules, but also the fact that someone is ill or otherwise or whether it is exposed to certain conditions which show abnormal values, but people we are different. Unfortunately, the UCI by this method only sees the use of illicit funds, but not any individual's health problems. Otherwise, you can do much useful for health sports and athletes.

At yesterday's talks with club managers, Vincent Lavenujem, we were both the same opinion that as soon as I return to the scene of the games. When I returned, depending on gastroscopy examination next week, as it is now my health is first. If the gastroscopy showed that one-month treatment was successful and that the stomach will not have more problems that I found myself in this situation, the match back on the 12th September and finish the race season Mon Lombardy.

Finally, I thank all who have me on the longest and toughest race stood by and believed in me.

….it's just a moment, just a moment, just a moment, this time will pass......

Thanks, Tadej Valjavec

May 26, 2010
Visit site
MajorTom said:
http://www.tadejvaljavec.com/novice.php?newsID=302

quick google translate

Tadej is back!

May was third in the UCI announcement that the blood levels in a biological passport Tadej Valjavec abnormal. On this basis, did not appear at the Giro d'Italia d'Italia 2010, and it can be suspended Ag2r team. After heavy and long three months of proof of innocence by the NAK (national anti-doping commission) met on 07.29.2010 for the innocent.

Thank your loved ones and of course the team with whom we cooperate in seeking justice in the maze of allegations made by the UCI. Similarly, the UCI has never stated exactly what I am accused, it was all even more difficult. It seems absurd to me that I was on the basis of screening formula sentenced to breach anti-doping rules, without a single direct evidence. I can say that the UCI has acted incorrect, but also did not follow their rules in regard to factors such as training at altitude. I must stress that I did not challenge the method itself, but I think that the method used in a different way. Derogation under this formula does not necessarily reflect the violation of rules, but also the fact that someone is ill or otherwise or whether it is exposed to certain conditions which show abnormal values, but people we are different. Unfortunately, the UCI by this method only sees the use of illicit funds, but not any individual's health problems. Otherwise, you can do much useful for health sports and athletes.

At yesterday's talks with club managers, Vincent Lavenujem, we were both the same opinion that as soon as I return to the scene of the games. When I returned, depending on gastroscopy examination next week, as it is now my health is first. If the gastroscopy showed that one-month treatment was successful and that the stomach will not have more problems that I found myself in this situation, the match back on the 12th September and finish the race season Mon Lombardy.

Finally, I thank all who have me on the longest and toughest race stood by and believed in me.

….it's just a moment, just a moment, just a moment, this time will pass......

Thanks, Tadej Valjavec

he would want to be careful slagging UCI if wants to continue 'juicing'.....better to go the LA way and say how it was a blip and that the UCI are doing awonderful job and he cannot blame them, blah omerta blah omerta blah omerta....:D

the slovenians must doing something 'positive' for sports men and women considering Merlene Ottey (formerly american) at 50 is running just a second below her best times when she was in her 20s:rolleyes:

I know that this will be appealed to the CAS, but will he be allowed to ride in the interim? I don't know how AG2R would want to proceed in this matter, but if riders like Valverde got to keep riding throughout their lengthy appeals process, I can't see why Valjavec wouldn't be allowed either if his national federation doesn't want to suspend him.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
UCI BP crisis

Ohlala almost missed this one =>

CN footnote: Spaniard Jesus Rosendo Prado, on the other hand, will not face disciplinary proceedings by the Spanish cycling federation. In June, his Andalucia-Cajasur team announced that the doubtful blood values in his biological passport were dated from April 20, 2009, and could be explained by abundant bleeding due to a hemorrhoid crisis. :eek:

Rosendo is from the same tree as Pelli and Valja ... so that leaves Pello on his own out there with 3 hearings at TNA upcoming ...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/valjavec-cleared-by-slovenian-anti-doping-agency

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Valje reinstated by AG2R

"In the eyes of the law and sports authorities of his country, he is not sanctioned and is therefore innocent,” Lavenu told L’Equipe. “I am therefore obliged to reinstate him to the workforce and pay the arrears in his salary, which was suspended since last May.”

'the UCI feels that the Slovenian agency has acted in error'
The UCI uses a panel of independent experts to analyse the data and red flag those riders which appear to be questionable

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5...biological-passport-ruling.aspx#ixzz0vdoqJLNk