• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Valverde banned for 2 years?

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Susan!

Does this mean that he won't be able to compete in Italy well after 05/2011, or will he be able to but not elsewhere in the world?

It's quite messy I guess...

For some reason I feel it's slightly wrong to suspend him now when this case was 4 years ago, and as we all know, every top cyclist was doping back then anyway (probably now as well, but I like being optimistic!). Oh well...

A

Anonymous

maltiv said:
For some reason I feel it's slightly wrong to suspend him now when this case was 4 years ago, and as we all know, every top cyclist was doping back then anyway (probably now as well, but I like being optimistic!). Oh well...

HE chose to fight it with procedural bullcrap. He could have served his ban when the situation originally arose and he chose not to. He chose to manipulate the system and keep riding hoping somehow he would not have to do the time for his crime. Well, sometimes you lose battles like that, and he just did. He has nobody to blame but himself.

maltiv said:

Only when dealing with Armstr.... should we look to the future of clean cycling. Everyone else can burn in hell for their doping past.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
HE chose to fight it with procedural bullcrap. He could have served his ban when the situation originally arose and he chose not to. He chose to manipulate the system and keep riding hoping somehow he would not have to do the time for his crime. Well, sometimes you lose battles like that, and he just did. He has nobody to blame but himself.

I agree completely with you. Well, probably he should blame its lawyer or his counselor within the spanish fed that assured him to keep fighting that he won't be punished anyway...

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

My thoughts exactly.
Look at Basso - he did his time, came back and won a wonderful Giro.
Mind you, Valverde got a sweet deal - won several big classics and a Vuelta in the meantime.
Personally, I think they should have banned him back in '06.

thehog said:
Only with a $25,000, I mean a $88,000 sysmex machine, sorry I meant a $500,000 cash donation will the suspension go away.

to be paid at a later date...

Glad to see ****i Piti finally banned. CAS and CONI able to do what the Spanish Fed were unwilling to do.

The biggest question is not really about Piti but more about the Spanish Authorities who chose to protect him.