• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Valverde/Vuelta/Any else lost intrest...

A

Anonymous

Gesink out of it today, and with it any hope of anybody stopping valverde in winning the vuelta...

Im feeling completely deflated.. havnt watched the last three stages after losing intrest for the first time ever in a GT.. Now i know dopers have won tours before, its very well documented.. but the guy is already banned in one country FFS..

How in gods name was this ever allowed to happen...

Earlier in the season it was matter of when, not if, he got banned, i wasnt expecting him to make Dauphine Libere and when he won i was expecting it to be overturned soon after...

i feel like weve just opened the bank doors and let a criminal walk in and done nothing to stop him. :/

im starting to beleive the "you cant win a grand tour clean" brigade.. cos thats two out of three at least this year.. :/ (and both spanish :eek:)

dimspace said:
im starting to beleive the "you cant win a grand tour clean" brigade.. cos thats two out of three at least this year.. :/ (and both spanish :eek:)
More like three out of three if you include the "Human Plasma" guy in there.:D

Now Contadoor might go to Garmin.

What is next, a joint venture between Lance Armstrong and Greg Lemond.:confused:

May 13, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
Gesink out of it today, and with it any hope of anybody stopping valverde in winning the vuelta...

Im feeling completely deflated.. havnt watched the last three stages after losing intrest for the first time ever in a GT.. Now i know dopers have won tours before, its very well documented.. but the guy is already banned in one country FFS..

Earlier in the season it was matter of when, not if, he got banned, i wasnt expecting him to make Dauphine Libere and when he won i was expecting it to be overturned soon after...

i feel like weve just opened the bank doors and let a criminal walk in and done nothing to stop him. :/

What about the second placed DiLuca in the Giro?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps, ironically, this is what 'clean' racing is like.

No one that really stands out, because all of the GC contenders are at their maximum. If the blood passport limits the extent of doping (or entirely bans it from racing), so as to force everyone to ride within the same bandwidth, how can someone be exceptionally better than the rest?

The margins of excellence have become the same for the ones at the top...

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
My lack of interest started when the second week did not live up to expectations. It does not really have anything to do with doping. The race just has not been that good.
I agree with Bala Verde. Biopassport racing.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
I have a strategy for coping. I simply don't care about the GC in GTs. I pay it as little attention as I possibly can despite watching as much of the race as I can (which is a lot, hardly ever miss a stage).

It's working pretty well. For instance, with only a couple of stages left of this years TdF, I actually had to go and look up the current top five on the GC. I knew Contador was in the lead, and I knew who else was up there, but I really didn't know who was 2., 3., 4. and so on nor what the time gaps were. I just didn't care, and as a result my brain had done a great job of filtering out that information.

Having (close to) zero emotional investment in the GC might defeat the purpose of even following the race in the first place to many, but it works for me. I still love the sport and can't look away when it's on the telly, or being streamed on the net.

Bala Verde said:
Perhaps, ironically, this is what 'clean' racing is like.

No one that really stands out, because all of the GC contenders are at their maximum. If the blood passport limits the extent of doping (or entirely bans it from racing), so as to force everyone to ride within the same bandwidth, how can someone be exceptionally better than the rest?

The margins of excellence have become the same for the ones at the top...

A fair point.

I think one may have to look at history, for the solution.
Quality, over quantity and by natural selection, the cream, who rise to the top, get the better option.

Which makes the netting of Di Luca, an even greater mystery.

A

Anonymous

If Armstrong was in this race it would be the greatest!

take it easy it is not another troll like the ones you just dealt with.
But think about it. If he was in this race there would be about 100 new troll members talking about his chances in the last mountain stage or ITT. HEHE.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Bag_O_Wallet said:
I had very limited exposure to the Vuelta back when it took place in the spring. Was it an exciting race back then?

Good question. One thing that hurts this GT is the number of riders who either ride a handful of stages to prepare for the World's, or skip it altogether. I believe the Vuelta is returning to a spring schedule in 2010, maybe this will make it more attractive to the elite riders.

Aug 5, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
I agree with Bala Verde. Biopassport racing.

it really is like restrictor plate racing in nascar. it is almost better if a doped guy like di luca or ricco is there, going so fast up the mountains that the other riders explode trying to keep up.

maybe the UCI could work out some deal that every rider gets 1 day on drugs and part of the fun of racing becomes figuring out the best time to use your power up and how to neutralize the other riders boost.

samb01 said:
I have a strategy for coping. I simply don't care about the GC in GTs. I pay it as little attention as I possibly can despite watching as much of the race as I can (which is a lot, hardly ever miss a stage).

It's working pretty well. For instance, with only a couple of stages left of this years TdF, I actually had to go and look up the current top five on the GC. I knew Contador was in the lead, and I knew who else was up there, but I really didn't know who was 2., 3., 4. and so on nor what the time gaps were. I just didn't care, and as a result my brain had done a great job of filtering out that information.

Having (close to) zero emotional investment in the GC might defeat the purpose of even following the race in the first place to many, but it works for me. I still love the sport and can't look away when it's on the telly, or being streamed on the net.

I agree, even despite my rather cynical comments in another thread about there being no pure sport. Nothing is pure, and I do enjoy watching the race. What is most enjoyable is to actually hear something about younger, unknown racers who make a break or do something a little dramatic. in the Tdf this year is was Lance 24/7, and then everyone else, including the winner got a little bit here and there.

I have quite enjoyed the Vuelta - having not really followed it since Robert Millar got stitched up years ago.

The biggest issue for me is the proximity to the Worlds and the fact that riders are dropping out to prepare for the TT and RR :(

I'll be watching in the TT - it's been fun :)

dimspace said:

Actually, I have not really minded the race itself. Having said this, I am NOT a fan of the V-Man. I think he oozes dopage-supremo, like a steaming vat of dog shit. Just putting it out there ... :D

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
All of em dope

It frustrates me to no end how easily English speaking fans seem to equate non-English speaking riders with doping.

There is no way to compete in this peloton without PEDs--the question is simply one of degree and the relative complicity of the authorities.

I suppose it's coming from this perspective that I can enjoy this Vuelta (even though it's been far less riveting than previous Vueltas). There is no evidence Valverde ever did anything differently than his rivals--his name and blood simply came up in Puerto (just like Ulle, Basso, Contador, etc). Riders exposed by Puerto did not test positive, they didn't break the rules of the peloton, so it's no surprise or secret that the UCI is doing everything possible to protect them.

ludwig said:
It frustrates me to no end how easily English speaking fans seem to equate non-English speaking riders with doping.

There is no way to compete in this peloton without PEDs--the question is simply one of degree and the relative complicity of the authorities.

I suppose it's coming from this perspective that I can enjoy this Vuelta (even though it's been far less riveting than previous Vueltas). There is no evidence Valverde ever did anything differently than his rivals--his name and blood simply came up in Puerto (just like Ulle, Basso, Contador, etc). Riders exposed by Puerto did not test positive, they didn't break the rules of the peloton, so it's no surprise or secret that the UCI is doing everything possible to protect them.

So is the Omerta OK, I mean, it's a rule of the peloton? And I am not sure who the English vs non-English is aimed at. I happen to think there are a number of riders who dope, some of whom are def "English speaking". In this case, one of the riders I don't like is winning a GT. It could be LA and I would say some variant of the same thing (I would not call him V-Man though ;)

Ripper said:
Actually, I have not really minded the race itself. Having said this, I am NOT a fan of the V-Man. I think he oozes dopage-supremo, like a steaming vat of dog shit. Just putting it out there ... :D

look on the bright side, when his ban is extended to worldwide and he is disqualified from the vuelta, sammy sanchez will be the new winner:p

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
The stages I have watched have been enjoyable - like with the Giro the mountain stages ahve insane gradients that you never see in the TdF and I enjoy watching the Pro Tour guys go up climbs at 12 kmh that would see me pop at 9 :)

Is it clean? Valverde would be insane to race this one on the sauce - wouldn't he?

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
Valverde going to win it overall by grabbing time bonuses along the way (and also going to be banned in and stripped of win in a couple of weeks time) + Gesink (the only rider from gc besides mosquera to have the balls to attack) now out of contention/lost podium spot = depressing.

battery89 said:
Valverde going to win it overall by grabbing time bonuses along the way (and also going to be banned in and stripped of win in a couple of weeks time) + Gesink (the only rider from gc besides mosquera to have the balls to attack) now out of contention/lost podium spot = depressing.

You are too optimistic. If the ban is upheld there, it will probably run through next season plus a few months of 2011, meaning Valverde will effectly serve a ban of only one season. He will also probably keep his Vuelta title.

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
You are too optimistic. If the ban is upheld there, it will probably run through next season plus a few months of 2011, meaning Valverde will effectly serve a ban of only one season. He will also probably keep his Vuelta title.

Yeah was probably a bit too hopeful. Was hoping for the best.

I imagine I could be in the minority but I have switched off my WTF switch on this one and just enjoyed the race :)

I think we are seeing a cleaner race (not clean but cleaner) and it may be that this explains why we are not seeing folk charging off the front

I don't think Valverde will be banned...and I think he will keep his Vuelta win...assuming he doesn't do a "Menchov" and fall on his *** tomorrow (although Menchov got back on and still won!)

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
I imagine I could be in the minority but I have switched off my WTF switch on this one and just enjoyed the race :)

I think we are seeing a cleaner race (not clean but cleaner) and it may be that this explains why we are not seeing folk charging off the front

I don't think Valverde will be banned...and I think he will keep his Vuelta win...assuming he doesn't do a "Menchov" and fall on his *** tomorrow (although Menchov got back on and still won!)

It's been a decent race, I've enjoyed it more than the TdF. I think the Valve-Piti issue will continue to go round and round for a while though. It seems they've got some goods on him and well, when you have something to work with ...

TRENDING THREADS