• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Van Den Broeck admits to having visited presumed doping doc Mertens

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 24, 2010
Visit site
Fundamentally this is an offence as he's manipulating his blood, whther it has any real effects or nay of the polemics thats come till now, its a manipulation of the bloodstream therefore an offence.... anyone proven to have tried this treatment is liable for a sanction

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
A suspicion index is just that. If you don't think the guys on the top are more suspicious than the guys on the bottom you don't attach value to it. Simple.
I guess the most suspicious riders on the l'equipe list are the 4-5-6-7.

Mellow Velo said:
I'd say some of the guys on 0 are as dodgy as they come.
Who?

I agree for Horner (and perhaps Voeckler and Canc), but other than those I don't view any of the others as extremely dodgy.

EDIT:
5714862867_28e8a67c33_b.jpg

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
That list is a load of cobblers. They couldn't even print it in coherent columns. Says it all. Horner zero. AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAAHAHAHAAH.

OK stupid post, but it's clearly not a straightforward index of cleanlihood.

theyoungest said:
A suspicion index is just that. If you don't think the guys on the top are more suspicious than the guys on the bottom you don't attach value to it. Simple.

It's important to remember that this is an index of suspicion for a specific point in time. Earning a 0 in 2011 doesn't mean that there was never any suspicion. Indeed there riders here who subsequently confessed to doping who have 1 and 0 ratings (Zabriskie, Barie, Hincapie). We don't know what the suspicion index was in later in 2012 or in 2010 and earlier. Indeed perhaps the reason that the former Disco/Postal riders were rated zeros in 2011 is because the UCI was comparing their performances to earlier times when their suspicion index was higher.

A low suspicion number in 2011 doesn't exonerate anyone (any more than a high index convicts someone), it is just a handicapping of doping probability based on evidence available to the compilers of the index. There may may be evidence that the compilers were not aware of. I note that Di Gregario was rated a 2 and was arrested at the 2012 TDF. The index sets the odds, but sometimes long shots come in.

Orvieto said:
It's important to remember that this is an index of suspicion for a specific point in time. Earning a 0 in 2011 doesn't mean that there was never any suspicion. Indeed there riders here who subsequently confessed to doping who have 1 and 0 ratings (Zabriskie, Barie, Hincapie). We don't know what the suspicion index was in later in 2012 or in 2010 and earlier. Indeed perhaps the reason that the former Disco/Postal riders were rated zeros in 2011 is because the UCI was comparing their performances to earlier times when their suspicion index was higher.

A low suspicion number in 2011 doesn't exonerate anyone (any more than a high index convicts someone), it is just a handicapping of doping probability based on evidence available to the compilers of the index. There may may be evidence that the compilers were not aware of. I note that Di Gregario was rated a 2 and was arrested at the 2012 TDF. The index sets the odds, but sometimes long shots come in.

Di Gregario was injected with ozone-enriched blood and glucose, but hasn't been proven to have taken anything else, as far as I know. He may indeed have been relatively clean.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:

The utility of any screening test is always a balance between sensitivity, specificity and prevalence (the consequence of a false positive/false negative is also important).

In the context of this index of suspicion being to enable targeting of dirty riders for easy anti-doping wins, it's entirely plausible that the index be biased to high specificity [we only want to target people we have a high chance of busting] and sacrifice sensitivity [we don't care about busting every doper, particularly given the presumed high prevalence of doping].

There's a good primer at:http://www.ehd.org/science_technology_testresults.php.

Needless to say the timing of any test is also important; one could test negative with the best pregnancy test in the world on 1 January and still give birth in September...

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Mr.38% said:
Word from a friend (researching at the Cologne Sports University) is, UV therapy may be related to possible positive effects on CNS, PNS, especially during intensive/extensive training periods. So even morally it's kind of an attempt to dope if you would like to say so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroregeneration
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D

This makes far more sense.

It seems imminently risky to do a procedure like that (high risk) for such little reward (not getting a cold as was previously stated as the reason for the procedure).

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
On a "Positive" note it is a good thing that this is a criminal case.

Gotta wonder what they were really doing. That Ozone stuff is nonsense. Expect there is more to it

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
The article mentions 19 involved sportsmen. Do we know any names? I read somewhere that an entire belgian WC team was involved. How would that fit? Which names would that give us?

Dazed and Confused said:
Belgian Worlds RR (2013) team:

1.GILBERT Philippe
2.BAKELANTS Jan
3.LEUKEMANS Bjorn
4.MONFORT Maxime
5.PAUWELS Serge
6.VAN AVERMAET Greg
7.VANSUMMEREN Johan
I think he is referring to the Valkenburg squad:

28 Tom Boonen
29 Kevin De Weert