• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Van Garderen's future

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
BMC is an absolutely perfect fit for him, with Cadel as the captain he would definitely get advice from him as well as GC leadership in one GT and many week long races

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
veganrob said:
Cadel does't strike me as the mentoring type

Funny the 2 young riders Roe and Eijssen say he is - maybe a media BMC thing, he trains with Simon Clarke and Porte last year said Evans was an amazing help with info during the Giro.

if he doesn't stay at htc shack or bmc are prolly the ones most interested in him.

bmc has a evans approaching 35 and needs some1 to replace him in terms of GC. the shack has kloden, horner and bottle who are some of the older riders in the peloton but also has brajkovic and machado as possible GT GC leaders even tho they still need to prove themselves over 3 weeks.

my guess is bmc because their team lacks the depth in terms of gc that the shack has

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I guess we should throw the other American team Garmin-Cervelo into the mix as well seeing as they have never won a major stage race and their GC threats are aging as well. In the end I see him at Radioshack (or Nissan-Trek or whatever it will be called) and I think that might be his best move seeing as every great American GC rider in the last 15 years (with the exception of Chris Horner) got their start there.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
I guess we should throw the other American team Garmin-Cervelo into the mix as well seeing as they have never won a major stage race and their GC threats are aging as well. In the end I see him at Radioshack (or Nissan-Trek or whatever it will be called) and I think that might be his best move seeing as every great American GC rider in the last 15 years (with the exception of Chris Horner) got their start there.

Garmin already has a crop of young American climbers with Talansky, Peterson and Stetina. They also have 25 year old Dan Martin, and guys on their development team like Lachlan Morton (3rd in Gila and 6th in Langkawi).

They have a pretty good spread of GC rider ages. VDV is 35, Danielson is 33, Le Mevel is 31, Hesjedal is 31, Martin is 25, Peterson is 25, Stetina is 24, Talansky is 23 and Morton is 19. They really aren't in need of young GC guys like BMC and Radioshack are.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Trek-Livestrong has Ian Boswell and Lawson Craddock on the way up as well and seem to do a good job building young talent. They just have to sign it which was not the case for Taylor Phinney.

TRENDING THREADS