• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vandevelde interview - hope for a clean peloton

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Could it be true? That the efforts of a minimal doping program (microdosing etc) in such a way that it won't be detected by antidoping tests, doesn't actually help the performance much? And that the energy/time/stress put into that might as well be spent on other things more training/food/relaxation for a performance improvement that's (nearly) as good?

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Where there is smoke, there is usually fire. In JV's case I have seen little of either. There are many reasons fans question riders. I see few of those reasons with Slipstream.

I don't hear of any of his riders Motor pacing with Ferrari. His team does not hire the doctors who ran the doping program at Rabo, or Fassa, or Lotto....like other teams do today.

Maybe not Ferrari, but I would argue this little story doesn't paint the greatest picture of Slipstream riders. I think Allen Lim is a dope doc, and I think Z and VDV going to training camp with Lim is some decent smoke. (Maybe poor choice of words given the situation here in Colorado, no offense intended.)

Maybe, after Floyd, Lim saw the light of day and decided to focus more on the rice cakes. But I remain cynical.

(Sorry for coming to this late.)

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
filipo said:
Maybe not Ferrari, but I would argue this little story doesn't paint the greatest picture of Slipstream riders. I think Allen Lim is a dope doc, and I think Z and VDV going to training camp with Lim is some decent smoke. (Maybe poor choice of words given the situation here in Colorado, no offense intended.)

Maybe, after Floyd, Lim saw the light of day and decided to focus more on the rice cakes. But I remain cynical.

(Sorry for coming to this late.)

yeah, I agree. Lim really ****es me off. He lied for so long and still has not come clean. lame.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, Lim did deny Floyd's claims, right? I assume he came clean under oath though? (If Lim told all he knows in 2010, the USADAvs.LA/HOG and pertaining revelations could become nasty for some current members of the pro-peloton..?)

But I understand poster filipo. Lim knows how to cheat the tests, so I don't see why he wouldn't be using that knowledge at present.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Runitout said:
I don't know whether it gives JV less credit to think:

A) he is a naïf, blind to the actions and effects of those he trusts; or
B) he takes us all for chumps.

If half of what I've heard is true, JV should spend less time on Twitter and more time having honest talk with his riders.
not necessarily an either/or dynamic.

JV might just be laying groundwork for plausibile deniability. He hopes they are clean, but does not pry his nose, where, p'raps, if he was more rigorous, he would delve.

Why ask Contador for his blood numbers?
Why ask "what is there on Cav?" <ergo: I have heard nothing, there is nothing on him>

I for one think Cav is brilliant. But I dont hold any mythology on his performances. He is Ricco in a F1 chassis. So keep on doing the riding Cav.

But to assume that Contador will ride for you, win for you, and pass the blood parameters, AND ride clean, is to take us for the naif indeed.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Pedaaldanser said:
Could it be true? That the efforts of a minimal doping program (microdosing etc) in such a way that it won't be detected by antidoping tests, doesn't actually help the performance much?

And that the energy/time/stress put into that might as well be spent on other things more training/food/relaxation for a performance improvement that's (nearly) as good?

It sounds like it could be possible, could anyone share some insights on this?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Pedaaldanser said:
It sounds like it could be possible, could anyone share some insights on this?

That would imply EPO doctors ripping off poor ignorant riders.
Sounds possible, though I assume most riders and DSs are quite capable of estimating the benefits a certain doping program has to their performance.
And note that there are always risks of getting caught microdosing, perhaps not through regular EPO testing, but through raids, dumped needles, or rests of CLEN, etc. I assume that when the risks come to outweigh the benefits, teams and riders would soon drop such microdosing programs.

More importantly, as was pointed out somewhere along the way in the USADA vs. Armstrong thread, there is now (at least since 2005) an EPO method that cannot be detected and that is fully unrelated to microdosing. According to RR it's going to be part of USADA's case against LA.

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Lanark said:
Really? I barely heard that untill 4 years or so ago. I certainly can't remember anyone claiming cycling was practically clean in the early 00's.

You don't think Armstrong spoke for the sport in his farewell address from the top of the podium?;)

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Christian Vande Velde :

It’s almost incomprehensible. When we started in 2008, at that point in time, we didn’t even think it was possible to win a grand tour. This is really a litmus test for clean sport and how far the sport has come. It’s a great thing for our team and for our sport in general. We never would have thought this would have been possible. That’s how far our sport has come.

Your Litmus test for clean cycling has failed emphatically.
After witnessing Ryder Hesjedal's doped victory at the 2012 Giro. We were just treated to yet another doped victory at the Tour De France by Bradley Wiggins. Jonathan Vaughters ; "Personally I do not believe that Your team is as pure as You proclaim" A futile proclamation such as Yours is highly transparent.

Sorry but clean and professional cycling does not correlate.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
JV1973 said:
While I do try and debate here and try and show you guys what is actually happening behind the scenes, now, as opposed to 2006, the reality is most fans are very supportive and not as skeptical as the group here. I try and convince the dozen or so folks that post here to look at things from a different point of view because I respect you guys and know you've been burned. I respect the skeptics and it makes me sad that I can't get you to turn the corner. However, you are a vast minority. If it were otherwise, pro cycling would not exist, as no sponsor would want to enter a sport where all fans were skeptics!

The Clinic 12. Brought to you by JV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts