• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

VDB death

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 9, 2009
Visit site
I offer my condolences.

Regardless of power output and how he got it, VDB sure looked great on the bike. And that's not something one gets in a syringe. It's a tragedy to lose him. I was looking forward to seeing him make a comeback of some kind.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
VDB's death

A tragic, but seemingly inevitable end to his career. I just re-read much of the responses related to the VDB to Publish Blood Values thread and there wasn't much sympathy or respect reflected there.
Those responses will serve to remind me to restrain judgement of an individual while still having an opinion. Folks eager to classify a rider as unclean on the Clean Rider thread should eat this grain of salt as well...

May 13, 2009
Visit site
dienekes88 said:
Pulmonary embolism.

Leave it alone. It's unclear that this was drug related...

When I hear pulmonary embolism, two things immediately come to mind: neoplasm and virchow's triad (stasis/turbulence, endothelial damage, and hypercoagulability).

Well, in such cases, it is always interesting to learn more details to hopefully prevent more deaths. What caused the blockage? As usual, I'm afraid, the results will never made public. Healthy people don't die at this age because of pulmonary embolism just like that. He traveled to Senegal? Maybe he had deep vein thrombosis? It's a long flight, isn't it? But that would be a more typical for an old, fat, unfit guy, not a cyclist.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
the vagabond said:
Cyclingnews "would like" to offer condolences to VDB's family and friends? What's preventing you from just doing it?

There's nothing more crass than writing a sentence like that, in that derivative way. Either step up and offer condolences or not; don't say that you would like to. Saying you "would like to" does not express sympathy or offer condolences; it's insipid beyond belief.

RIP, VDB.

WTF?

They are offering their condolences, it's just a turn of phrase.

Unless I've read it wrong they're not saying "we would like to but can't" FFS.

Stupid people saying things about overdosis or 'was to be expected'

A pulminary embolism is not something you get from overdosis and you can certainly not expect it. Neither is it a result of years of stupidness.

You could expect a death by car accident or suicide from VDB, but definately not a pulminary embolism.

People who say that should be shot right on the spot.

Oldman said:
A tragic, but seemingly inevitable end to his career. I just re-read much of the responses related to the VDB to Publish Blood Values thread and there wasn't much sympathy or respect reflected there.
Those responses will serve to remind me to restrain judgement of an individual while still having an opinion. Folks eager to classify a rider as unclean on the Clean Rider thread should eat this grain of salt as well...

Absolutely Oldman. I don't know about the other posters here but I for one very much appreciate you using someone's death to pass judgement upon and moralize towards others. It shows a lot of class on your part. Thanks again!

A

Anonymous

Dekker_Tifosi said:
You could expect a death by car accident or suicide from VDB, but definately not a pulminary embolism..

why so surprised.. you spend a long time messing around with your blood, embolism is a definate risk... :(

sad he never got the opportunity to get his life back on track.. it looked recently as if he was maybe starting to do that...

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
wow , sad , i heard this afternoon and i didnt believe it at first , its so unfortunate for his children , his parents , what a terrible loss........

i will always remember how kool and smooth his riding style was , i felt for a long time he may have had depression issues , such a tragic waste of talent

r.i.p.

Really sucks - and I don't use that word often. Not entirely surprising - he admitted a suicide attempt, after all, but unexpected. The photos of him at the World's just a few weeks ago had me thinking he'd licked some of his demons. RIP VDB.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Damn! Such a talented rider! He got his career wasted now he's wasted completely:( The guy tried more than once to end his life and that was no good already. It's very sad that once he got himself in a downward spiral he couldn't get out...
RIP Frank!

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
what a horrible news. he was an incredible talent with fragile mind.

there are times when memories of prematurely departed young athletes make me sentimental.

i bow my head in sadness.

rest in peace, VDB

TRENDING THREADS