• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 277 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Angliru said:
ILovecycling said:
The Hitch said:
This year maybe, but in the past I think Contador could have fit Ardennes in (I mean other gt riders have, even in recent times), or in the years he did the Vuelta, he could have tried Lombardia or the worlds ( he entered them but spent all day smiling at the camera)
Thats true, I think he doesnt care about them cuz he knows he isnt good classics cyclist.I dont believe he would have been good at classics if he peaked for them.

The one time he focused on the Ardennes he made the podium of Fleche Wallone. That to me shows he could at minimum have won one of them. I would have loved it if he had devoted more attention to the Ardennes, San Sebastian and GdL.

I used to wonder why he was so bad in one day races, at least relative to his stage racing brilliance, but really it's not that hard to work out why he wouldn't invest much energy in them. He has a worse sprint than anyone he might reasonably expect to come to the end with. He could conceivably win Fleche by going earlier on the Mur than is optimal for the punchier riders, but that's a very hard way to win that race these days. Otherwise he seems to be in a similar position to Kreuziger or Nibali - winning is possible but only with a solo attack from range, which always has low odds. And why would Contador, of all riders, waste a performance peak on races where he's just one of a couple of dozen riders who could win like that?
This pretty much sums it up.As for me I still dont think he could have been good classic rider if he wanted.I think Nibali always had more potential as a classic rider.

I know Nibali is peaking for Le Tour but actually I'm a disappointed with his performance in LBL. Had hoped for more... At least one decent attack! I hope he shows something in Romandië where he has ambitions for the GC.

And about Quintana... He won Tirreno and was 4th at Pais Vasco. There is nothing wrong with his form. About the classics, I don't think he cares for it.

And Contador... I believe it's normal he's taking it easy because he's doing Giro AND Tour.

And Froome... It's time he shows something in Romandië!

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

roundabout said:
It's strange how he attacked earlier in the week, but today on a more suitable route he just decided to sit in there and wait for the inevitable on the last climb.
Probably because he doesn't give a *** about winning a stage here. It's a training ride.

As I said before, he is exactly on the same course as last year.

Check what happened one year ago at Tour of Romandie. Froome won and Nibali?... 5th, almost 2 mins down.
Not saying he's gonna win the Tour as he did in 2014, but definitely we cannot draw any conclusion from today's performance. And definitely we cannot rule him out of a top spot at TdF.

Anyway, curious to see what he's gonna say in his post race interview. If he is disappointed with his form or if everything went as expected...

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Rollthedice said:
Maybe you didn't notice but he blows up closer and closer to the finish line as months go by. Actually I was a bit worried he might attack at some point and win the stage. That would've been a problem regarding Le Tour.

Lol i love it. I remember talks from people saying this year will be different.

Nibali socalled looked good in the beginning of TA.

Same was said in the classics and same was said now.

Just a disgrace, even Andy is better than this.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Such a risky strategy that Nibs and Astana are taking again. Basically putting the whole season on the line at the Tour. It would be so easy for something to go wrong there and destroy the season. Froome could ride into the back of him because he was too busy staring at his stem or something

Also, as a Nibali supporter it's doing a good job killing my interest in a lot of races. Not to say that I don't enjoy cycling in general, but watching him getting dropped like a stone is a bit of a buzz kill. Especially once you factor in the fact that Nibali is probably one of the most exciting racers in the world when in decent form, but instead he's basically going on 5 months of training rides.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
If he can truly find that form of 2014 again, though, it will be worth it. Because that form gives him a chance to win the Tour. A 7% (or so) greater chance of winning the Tour is better than everything other than LBL which he wouldn't win anyway.

And in terms of excitement, while he's boring now, it should make the Tour a lot better if he's in monster form there.

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Re:

whittashau said:
Such a risky strategy that Nibs and Astana are taking again. Basically putting the whole season on the line at the Tour. It would be so easy for something to go wrong there and destroy the season. Froome could ride into the back of him because he was too busy staring at his stem or something

Also, as a Nibali supporter it's doing a good job killing my interest in a lot of races. Not to say that I don't enjoy cycling in general, but watching him getting dropped like a stone is a bit of a buzz kill. Especially once you factor in the fact that Nibali is probably one of the most exciting racers in the world when in decent form, but instead he's basically going on 5 months of training rides.

Why risky? If you know something worked just repeating it. It will be stupid to deviate from what you know is working. It is quite possible Nibali realized from his previous results, he would lack fatal blow in the later GT if he tried to peak for big spring races.

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Just saw the replay, Nibali obviously is not taking this race seriously, this is only a training preparation for him. At 2km, he still has a full water bottle on his bike. If anyone is interested in the race, the water bottle should be long gone.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Btw no one is disputing that nibali will be beast again in the tour, i'm certain he will be. But it's so sad that he has become this rider who only peaks for one race.

3 years ago nibali was going crazy the entire year, it was fantastic. He also did that 2 years ago and now it's all gone.

Re:

Miburo said:
Btw no one is disputing that nibali will be beast again in the tour, i'm certain he will be. But it's so sad that he has become this rider who only peaks for one race.

3 years ago nibali was going crazy the entire year, it was fantastic. He also did that 2 years ago and now it's all gone.

I have to agree. Maybe next year things will be different. Would like to see him succeed in a Giro-Vuelta double.

Re: Nibali discussion thread

Nibali told L'Equipe that he thinks he is a little ahead of where he was at this point last year, but also said he made a mistake following some of the early accelerations of the last climb so didn't have enough strength when it really mattered

Sciatic said:
Nibali told L'Equipe that he thinks he is a little ahead of where he was at this point last year, but also said he made a mistake following some of the early accelerations of the last climb so didn't have enough strength when it really mattered
It looked like that.
Already on the penultimate climb he's been unusually prominent at the front, even forcing Scarponi (Taaramae?) to step up.
Positive sensations seem to cost him.

Re: Re:

FCKAC said:
whittashau said:

Why risky? If you know something worked just repeating it. It will be stupid to deviate from what you know is working. It is quite possible Nibali realized from his previous results, he would lack fatal blow in the later GT if he tried to peak for big spring races.

Why is it risky? Quite simple. Unless he can guarantee himself/his team that Froome, Quintana, and AC are going to crash out of the race, the outcome of the race will most likely NOT end up the way it did last year. Then you will see that putting all your eggs in one basket isn't always the best thing to do.

I am sorry but you make absolutely no sense. If according to you he is not strong enough to compete with Froome and Contador even in the Tour 2014 shape (numbers suggest otherwise) then what is he supposed to do? Target Tirreno-Adriatico, Romandie? Even if he won one of those races and arrive at the Tour in 95% of best shape, end in top 5 (for example), would that be successful season for a rider who won all of GTs? I highly doubt it.
It makes much more sense to do everything he can to arrive at the Tour in the best shape, which means following last year's preparations.
Also, with the peak arriving so late it is quite possible to have a 2nd peak at Vuelta/ Lombardy.

Re:

damian13ster said:
I am sorry but you make absolutely no sense. If according to you he is not strong enough to compete with Froome and Contador even in the Tour 2014 shape (numbers suggest otherwise) then what is he supposed to do? Target Tirreno-Adriatico, Romandie? Even if he won one of those races and arrive at the Tour in 95% of best shape, end in top 5 (for example), would that be successful season for a rider who won all of GTs? I highly doubt it.
It makes much more sense to do everything he can to arrive at the Tour in the best shape, which means following last year's preparations.
Also, with the peak arriving so late it is quite possible to have a 2nd peak at Vuelta/ Lombardy.

Maybe you'll understand after the Tour.
It's very simple. He could race the way most professionals do. I've seen him race well in other years besides 2014. He is capable of doing well in the spring and then also later in the season. He is strong enough to compete with Froome, AC, and Quintana, but it will be WAY harder to win with them there. I don't get what's so hard to understand. He is a pro - he is paid to win races. Yes the Tour is important, but what if he loses? He then gains nothing this year. He isn't a dominate rider like LA. He can't afford to put all his eggs in one basket.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

You need to specify what other races he should target to win for that to be actually in Nibali's interest, as opposed to merely his entertainment deprived fans.

He has won every Grand Tour. He is the defending Tour Champ. If there is a time for a Tour only year, it is now. What if Contador, Quintana and Froome lose? Will their seasons be salvaged with the Ruta del Sol and a stage or two in minor stage races? No. Not winning the Tour would be just as big a failure but they still go all in for the Tour.

It does seem Nibali is held to different standard, having to target lesser races and be competitive in one day races where CQF routinely do *** all, just because he's shown some promise in that regard. When actually, his Grand Tour palmares are second only to Contador's.