• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 275 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Carols said:
Definitely underwhelming today :( Hoping he shows a little more in Romandie, but it's not looking optimistic

It is his preparation style in recent years. Everything worked for him so well last year, it would be stupid for him to change anything this year. You only change the preparation strategy when things don't work out.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nibali discussion thread

I think (and theis is not sarcasm) he looked better than I thought he would.From what we saw early in the season he looks really good.Im surprised and imo he will be ready for Tour.(maybe Dauphine)

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

FCKAC said:
Carols said:
Definitely underwhelming today :( Hoping he shows a little more in Romandie, but it's not looking optimistic

It is his preparation style in recent years. Everything worked for him so well last year, it would be stupid for him to change anything this year. You only change the preparation strategy when things don't work out.

let's assume that in 2014 Contador and Froome don't crash out and Nibali finish 3rd. One whole year for a TdF 3rd spot.

this strategy is stupid

on man has a limited amount of luck, there is no chance in hell he podiums this year TdF. let's see than how good this "strategy" is

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

SkyTears said:
FCKAC said:
Carols said:

let's assume that in 2014 Contador and Froome don't crash out and Nibali finish 3rd. One whole year for a TdF 3rd spot.

this strategy is stupid

on man has a limited amount of luck, there is no chance in hell he podiums this year TdF. let's see than how good this "strategy" is
there is a good chance he will podium it, but that shouldnt be a target for this kind of rider.I really dont know what his goals are in coming years...

I think Nibali is on target for another super peak at the Tour like last year, if all goes according to plan.

As far as his performance today, nobody has noticed that in the last crash, while he didn't go down, Nibali did have to pull up and put his foot on the ground. To get back to the front he spent a lot of energy, thus he was not able to attack well in the end.

At any rate, his goal is the Tour. Quintana finished over 10 minutes back I think, so the Sicilian can hardly be seen as putting in a bad performance. Certainly anything less than a win leaves room for doubt, however, last year should demonstrate that he has every chance at peaking in July.

Re:

rhubroma said:
I think Nibali is on target for another super peak at the Tour like last year, if all goes according to plan.

As far as his performance today, nobody has noticed that in the last crash, while he didn't go down, Nibali did have to pull up and put his foot on the ground. To get back to the front he spent a lot of energy, thus he was not able to attack well in the end.

At any rate, his goal is the Tour. Quintana finished over 10 minutes back I think, so the Sicilian can hardly be seen as putting in a bad performance. Certainly anything less than a win leaves room for doubt, however, last year should demonstrate that he has every chance at peaking in July.

I don't think anyone is going to question the fact that he'll be in top form for July. He obviously knows how to peak properly. The question is will that be enough to beat AC, Froome, and Quintana. Is it worth it to build an entire season around one race that you aren't even guaranteed to win (I'd even say podium?) Of course only time will tell.

Good point about him spending energy today getting back into the main group.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Also a far point mentioning that Quintana is absolutely nowhere. We admonish Nibali for doing Tour peaks when there are worse offenders. But of course, unlike the other Big 3, it seems Nibali could actually have success in hilly one day races if he took them seriously.

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Also a far point mentioning that Quintana is absolutely nowhere. We admonish Nibali for doing Tour peaks when there are worse offenders. But of course, unlike the other Big 3, it seems Nibali could actually have success in hilly one day races if he took them seriously.
contador also demonstrate results in hilly classics (top 10 liege and 3 in fleche). the problem is that contador don't care about classics

Everybody shooting at Nibali, despite him being the only one racing the classics.

Contador is nowhere to be seen.
Quintana? He entered... did he race as well?
Froome... we need to buy him stabilizers.
Nibali? AMR 65th... FV 20th... LBL 13th nothing memorable, but the sheer amount of criticism he is getting is totally unjustified, imo.

Re: Nibali discussion thread

The ardennes are a risk, Contador recognizes his chances are far greater in a GT. Winning LBL doesn't make his season a good one, so he's better off riding stage races that are probably better preperation for the GT's anyway, not to mention that it's suicide trying to peak for ardennes + Giro + Tour

This year maybe, but in the past I think Contador could have fit Ardennes in (I mean other gt riders have, even in recent times), or in the years he did the Vuelta, he could have tried Lombardia or the worlds ( he entered them but spent all day smiling at the camera)