• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gregory said:
The media have also a part in this, because frankly Hesjedal is not as marketable as Nibali-Wiggins battle. Reminds me strongly of 2009 Tour, when previous year "unexpected winner" Sastre (just like Hasjedal) got completely ignored, because of Armstrong/Contador tension. However in that case, the media seemd to have been right, as Sastre failed completely. I hope this will not be the case with Hesjedal.

The only thing unexpected about 2008 was that it was the wrong CSC rider. Even though Evans was favourite, he had a weak team and he was against the best team in the race with both Schlecks and Sastre and Cancellara, O'Grady, Voight all riding at their peak and the rest. I think Andy was supposed to win but when Sastre attacked they played the team game and his final TT was much better than expected while Evan's was mediocre. Sastre had been hiding until his winning attack and of course it was a good tactic by the team. Contador was not there and Evans also had a heavy fall which had to have some effect on him. Sastre did not seem motivated after 2008 and the field the next year at the Tour was much stronger. The media always get things wrong. I would not be writing off Hesjedal just yet. Some people are presuming that both Nibali and Wiggins are going to be in the same form as last July which at this stage is just guess work.

Looks like we can't expect offensive riding from him in stage 7 :( Maybe an oppotunity that doesn't require to much energy will present itself.

At 55 kilometres in length, the stage promises to put minutes rather than seconds between the overall contenders, but Nibali is bullish about his chances of limiting his losses to Wiggins. "The route is really very difficult," he said. "The important thing for me is going to be getting there with the most amount of energy possible and then do a great time trial."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali-takes-heart-from-early-omens-at-giro-ditalia

May 19, 2011
Visit site
My gut feeling is RH and MS want to do something here, this LBL alike profile suits them very much. They already demonstrated in the spring and the rumor is this up and down road will cause SKY powermeter malfunction.:D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
Looks like we can't expect offensive riding from him in stage 7 :( Maybe an oppotunity that doesn't require to much energy will present itself.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali-takes-heart-from-early-omens-at-giro-ditalia

Hope Nibali is just bluffing to make people expect less of him on this stage and that he still goes for it. He shouldn't just be hoping that he can pull off an exceptional TT IMO. He should at least make some kind of attempt to gain some time.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:
Hope Nibali is just bluffing to make people expect less of him on this stage and that he still goes for it. He shouldn't just be hoping that he can pull off an exceptional TT IMO. He should at least make some kind of attempt to gain some time.

It is not very farsighted to put an extreme risk to gain 10-20-30 sec before the day when minutes will be at stake. No?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Minutes could be at stake under particular circumstances in Pescara.
Again, race will determine wether it makes sense to make an effort or not.

If there will be raining cats and dogs and 2-3 top contenders won't be afraid to contend against fresh Siutsou, Uran and Henao uphill straight before the TT, then yes it can happen. But it is not very likely.

SafeBet said:
Again, race will determine wether it makes sense to make an effort or not.

Indeed he might not be Planning an offensive ride, but might have to use energy if others make a move and give him no choice in the matter. Or if an opportunity presents itself that is to good do pass up, or he is sandbagging :) We shall see!

I want it to be tomorrow and not a boring sprint stage LOL!

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
It is not very farsighted to put an extreme risk to gain 10-20-30 sec before the day when minutes will be at stake. No?

Well, if he does try something I don't think it necessarily needs to be a extreme effort or risk. I think he could still do something to put some time into Wiggins and still be okay for the TT. Nibali just seems to be taking a conservative approach to the Giro thus far, I hope that changes after he gets the TT out of the way.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I hope they let Di Luca loose for 6 minutes since no GC wants their team to chase him before the TT. And he'll be a torn on every GC contender's side for the rest of the Giro. It's not like he'll get dropped easily in the climb. :p

Jelantik said:
I hope they let Di Luca loose for 6 minutes since no GC wants their team to chase him before the TT. And he'll be a torn on every GC contender's side for the rest of the Giro. It's not like he'll get dropped easily in the climb. :p

The GC favorites will let di luca go, but I think 2nd tier guys such as Kiserlovski and Betancur will be on his wheel and that will force a high pace in the group behind. Won't be big gaps in the end.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I hope he was not badly hurt today, get a good massage, have a fabulous ITT tomorrow:D He will be in Pink.

Tbh, when he crashed, it was really a scary moment, luckily his bike still function unlike MS.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
I will be honest, i don't think he looks that great to be honest :eek:

I don't know why but something just doesn't feel right

it is not normal to not be in trouble after high speed crashing. he is not a robot. And you always try to peak your best in second and third week. I just hope he was not badly injured today, that is a very high speed crashing

May 19, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
What's with these italian Nibali fanboys? He attacked so he's fine. He fell twice and arrived with the group of faves.

I like your attitude:D

He got interviewed right after the stage, so I guess it won't be too bad.

TRENDING THREADS