• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 128 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Vino attacks everyone said:
So, who else here besides me is expecting Nibalis steady improvment both in the mountians and in the tts to continue next year?

His last two GTs have shown improvement. I think he will find it hard to win but the podium should be a decent bet. Time gaps between top three could be smaller than last year but Froome just does not have the weaknesses that Andy and Quintana have and I don't see Nibali being at Froome's level at the moment. As we have seen with the Giro 2012 it is also very hard to compare performances across GTs with different opposition. Nibali was dominant in the 2013 Giro but will that also apply to the Tour and could he actually push Froome ?

maxmartin said:
"The thing I like about Vincenzo is that he's a real racer. He's a fighter, he's aggressive and never gives up. He can transform a stage into a trap, he's creative and courageous."

"He always gives 100%. You can see his talented and has a modern way of racing. Just think what he can do on the difficult stages and there are a lot of them. On the pave where he's definitely better than Froome. I've seen him ride on the dirt roads at the Giro and then look how good he is on the bike on the descents when it rains."

I sense some trolling in this last sentence.

maxmartin said:
"The thing I like about Vincenzo is that he's a real racer. He's a fighter, he's aggressive and never gives up. He can transform a stage into a trap, he's creative and courageous."

"He always gives 100%. You can see his talented and has a modern way of racing. Just think what he can do on the difficult stages and there are a lot of them. On the pave where he's definitely better than Froome. I've seen him ride on the dirt roads at the Giro and then look how good he is on the bike on the descents when it rains."

Kudos to Dave Brailsford, but sill think he looks too much like Lord Voldemort.:eek:

Probably gives a little more from the heart than from the brain as seen from the 3 s gap in the Vuelta. Actually i was quite surprised at that as his previous Vuelta win came due to applying his brains tactically. Maybe his DS helped him at that time. With Astana and Vino there could have probably being only one strategy "Attack Attack"

IndianCyclist said:
Probably gives a little more from the heart than from the brain as seen from the 3 s gap in the Vuelta. Actually i was quite surprised at that as his previous Vuelta win came due to applying his brains tactically. Maybe his DS helped him at that time. With Astana and Vino there could have probably being only one strategy "Attack Attack"

There should only be 1 tactic in cycling, and that should be "attack Attack".

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Pippo_San said:
Definitely...they would've transformed him into an helper for Wiggo first and Froomey Dog second.
Just thinking about that gives me the creeps.

I don't know, at that time most likely is Wiggins Tour, Nibali Giro and Vuelta.

And you have to wonder, what SKY can do to transform Nibali into another monster level? :eek: Just like they did with WFR

May 19, 2011
Visit site
"Just 50 kilometres of individual time trialling is fair enough, and even if Froome's got something of a margin there on Nibali, Vincenzo's worked very hard on the chronos, and I think next year he'll progress even more. It's in the mountains where we will make the biggest difference, though."

good, it takes a cartel to beat another cartel:eek:

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
maxmartin said:
"Just 50 kilometres of individual time trialling is fair enough, and even if Froome's got something of a margin there on Nibali, Vincenzo's worked very hard on the chronos, and I think next year he'll progress even more. It's in the mountains where we will make the biggest difference, though."

Where Froome will get even more time out of Nibali, uhhhh:confused:

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Rollthedice said:
It looks like it today but next year? I am confident Vincenzo will put up a good fight against the alien. If Porte will not ride for Froome in TdF things might get more interesting in the mountains.

The absence of Porte indeed is a advantage for Nibali, but he really need to hope that Froome doesn't arrive at the Tour with the same form like this year. If this is the case, comparing with weather like in Tirreno, then he has a chance.

The stage to Leeds for example, looks a lot like the stage to Porto Saint'Elpidio, and these are the stages Froome is vulnerable. But if Froome hits his peak, he can get 2 minutes in the mountains and TT each.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Porte will still be there riding for Froome, it'll just be a porte that has the Giro in his legs. Which could mean he won't be able to be there when it's only the top 5 favorites left or be able to reduce the peloton down enough for Froome to take an easy win while he takes 2nd. Or it could mean nothing, this is Sky after all.

I expect he'll be able to perform a decent domestique job even with the Giro in his legs, not a domestique job of the level he performed this year though.

Back to Nibali though, even if porte does show up in good form ready to help Froome in the mountains, I think he will be able to handle whatever pace he sets.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Well thing is Porte will come as domestique. He can drop on flat stages at the ends, he doesnt need to fight for GC at early week etc. He will have chilled role, and only worry about the mountain stages. That means hell be relatively fresh for them.

Anyway, they have Nieve for this year extra - adding additonal depth in that squad.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Well thing is Porte will come as domestique. He can drop on flat stages at the ends, he doesnt need to fight for GC at early week etc. He will have chilled role, and only worry about the mountain stages. That means hell be relatively fresh for them.

Anyway, they have Nieve for this year extra - adding additonal depth in that squad.

It sounds like Henao might also be taking part. Nibali will have a great team aswell though, with Fugslang, Scarponi, Kangert, Pellizotti, Agnoli all likely to be there to help. It could be a battle of the super teams.

Gloin22 said:

Yes, in a way it is an advantage as Porte can save himself for the more difficult stages, not worry about the TT and have a rest on the flatter stages. He will lose more time of course not that it matters as it is Froome that has to finish off the stages. And of course it all depends how the other teams approach the stages and how aggressive they are.

CycloAndy said:
It sounds like Henao might also be taking part. Nibali will have a great team aswell though, with Fugslang, Scarponi, Kangert, Pellizotti, Agnoli all likely to be there to help. It could be a battle of the super teams.
Sky, Astana, Movistar and Saxo will be heading in to next years TdF with ridiculous teams :eek: Each will have a leader AND a chief domestique capable of top 10 or better.

I can't see the top 4 being anything other than Froome, Quintana, Nibali and Contador/Kreuziger. Them and their teams are just too strong.

TRENDING THREADS