• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 141 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
roundabout said:
Attacking on Cipressa is suicide.

Can't recall the last successful attack there. Maybe Colombo in 1996?

It's still Nibali's best shot at winning, he has to arrive solo and it's almost impossible for him to drop everyone on the poggio. He has to get away earlier.

It also gives him another chance to prove that he's awesome

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Well he is right.

What exactly did a guy like Gilbert gain by waiting until the poggio?

More than he stood to gain from attacking on the Cipressa - it's suicide.

That said, I do love Nibali's attitude of trying to win in style - like his suicidal attack at Lombardia a year or two ago. Pull that off and everyone talks about it for years. Same if he'd pulled it off today.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Pleased to see that Dayer Quintana finished this bad boy. He came in with Thor, Förster, and Chicchi - 5:29 back. Impressive first outing for a race this long, and at his age.

Red Rick said:
It's still Nibali's best shot at winning, he has to arrive solo and it's almost impossible for him to drop everyone on the poggio. He has to get away earlier.

It also gives him another chance to prove that he's awesome

Well of course. He attacked in 2012 on Poggio, Gerrans and Canc followed with Gerrans winning the sprint, in 2011 he attacked also on Poggio and was even leading the small bunch in the final km. This time he tried earlier. It was in big style though, obviously chances were slim to none to succeed. Never got company and that was that. But he is still alive, best I've seen him this year which is good for us who hope he can put a great fight against Froome and Contador in France.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Magical improvement today, there is still hope for July. :)

It's hard to imagine the same guy was dropped on the Col d'Eze one week ago, although that happened in totally different conditions.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
You gotta respect the man! He knows there is no way he can win a sprint there. So he grabs the race by the throat. If he would have had 1 more top rider go with him. They would have had a real shot to stay away up the Poggio.
Oh well. He gets major style points! And puts in a great day of training.5 years from now you I might remember who won! But I will remember "The Shark" on the attack!
JMHO

Pentacycle said:
Magical improvement today

Meh, I don't know. How long did the magic last?
He gained 20 seconds on an already tired De Marchi on Cipressa. Then 30 seconds on the descent (while the bunch was clearly taking it carefully), and then he completely faded.

I loved the way he rode today but it looked more like a Pirazzi style suicide attack then a real shot at the win. Maybe he wanted to prove something to himself as well. His confidence level can't be that high atm.

All that said, I truly hope I'm wrong and his shape improve to the point he'll be a contender in the Tour. He proved me wrong hundreds of times before.

And I do wish he rides RVV. It might be fun.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
It was a good move. Imagine if Cancellara had followed, or even Gilbert (who really can't do it on the Poggio anymore)

exactly my thought, Cancellara got burned once, and Gilbert today may not have the legs:eek:

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Nibali is a warrior no doubt but calling people out is just childish every cyclist is different. Nibali has bad accelration relatively speaking he always has to do this in Classics, i feel he should have waited for the Poggio far more chance their what if he went with Battaglin surely take a lil rest behind then Nibali would be gone as Battaglin was not strong. The Poggio was raced like cowards really at least Mollema and Battaglin attacked but Gilbert's attack was embarrasing i mean man he should take a 75%in wage cut he is just not Gilbert:rolleyes:

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Well he is right.

What exactly did a guy like Gilbert gain by waiting until the poggio?

And what would Nibali gain by having a deadweight helping him like Gilbert, gain an extra km infront perhaps. Clearly he needed to go on Poggio it proves it you have a btter shot on their look when Gerro won

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Vincenzo Nibali ‏@vincenzonibali 8 min
Ho aspettato per una buona compagnia!! Da solo sapevo che era difficile !! Ma dove sono i corridori con le ���� di una volta?? #MilanoSanremo

:D:D:D

Edit (loose translation):
I was waiting for a good company!! I knew that alone it would have been difficult!! But where are the riders with balls of the past times?

Nibali is just awesome! One things for sure, he's a true racer all the way through to his core. :)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I do kind of agree with what Fabrizio Viani is saying on twitter, that it's a little disrespectful to other riders to claim they lack balls.

Though Nibs was clearly joking.

Well if other riders feel insulted by it then maybe they should as Nibs would put it..."grow some balls." :D Also if they feel insulted then they need to observe rule #5.

IndianCyclist said:
Good attack by nibs but too early in my opinion. But then again he did not have the fitness to last for the entire duration as seen in Paris Nice. Surprisingly enough no significant attacks on the Poggio.
A little later I'm sure there would have been more of a reaction and the pack may have split, helping riders like Cancellara. I think a lot of riders were too effected by the cold and the final kms were pretty dull. Nibali does not seem to have the condition at the moment but he tried.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
SafeBet said:
You really think they could stay away?
Fabu himself said there were lots of fresh faces in the peloton when Nibbles attacked.
Yep, but all teams were looking at canondale. If Canc en Nibali would have descended together, they would have had the same 50 seconds advance, but with two leaders (of which one used to be the best TTer in the world), they might have been able to keep that gap until the foot of the poggio.

It's an 'easier' decision of course to do an all or nothing attack on Cipressa when you don't really have the form. But yes, it's very disappointing that no one even bothered to go with Nibali. Teams like Trek, Sky and Lotto had 3 guys or more in the group at that point, so they could have easily sent someone up the road with him.

webvan said:
What's a bit sad is hearing Cance calling the Poggio a "motorway where people ride at 40kph" :-(
it's sad because it's true. That's why they want to throw more hills in. And I agree with them, although I think the Pompeiana isn't the right hill for that purpose.

As for Nib's attack, it's clear that it wasn't gonna win it, but his problem is that regardless his form, he is never gonna win the MSR. His only outside chance, as small as it can be, is doing what he did yesterday. But it is not only his problem, it's the problem of at least other 100 riders. How many of them tried something yesterday? 4? 5?

It's true that many riders aren't ambitious enough. As simple as that.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Eshnar said:
it's sad because it's true. That's why they want to throw more hills in. And I agree with them, although I think the Pompeiana isn't the right hill for that purpose.

As for Nib's attack, it's clear that it wasn't gonna win it, but his problem is that regardless his form, he is never gonna win the MSR. His only outside chance, as small as it can be, is doing what he did yesterday. But it is not only his problem, it's the problem of at least other 100 riders. How many of them tried something yesterday? 4? 5?

It's true that many riders aren't ambitious enough. As simple as that.

My memory is decieving me bt did they not got on Poggio when Nibali had his better result? Surely that is better than Cipressa, if Nibali has 15 20 secs he is nit getting caught on downhill im not saying inj himself but he needs to fly down that downhill like crazy

TANK91 said:
My memory is decieving me bt did they not got on Poggio when Nibali had his better result? Surely that is better than Cipressa, if Nibali has 15 20 secs he is nit getting caught on downhill im not saying inj himself but he needs to fly down that downhill like crazy

With Le Manie is a bit different. Peloton is more tired.

TRENDING THREADS