• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 142 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Eshnar said:
it's sad because it's true. That's why they want to throw more hills in. And I agree with them, although I think the Pompeiana isn't the right hill for that purpose.

As for Nib's attack, it's clear that it wasn't gonna win it, but his problem is that regardless his form, he is never gonna win the MSR. His only outside chance, as small as it can be, is doing what he did yesterday. But it is not only his problem, it's the problem of at least other 100 riders. How many of them tried something yesterday? 4? 5?

It's true that many riders aren't ambitious enough. As simple as that.

Why pompeiana is not a right hill?

Eshnar said:
Because it risks to turn MSR into another Ardennes classic. I'd put a hill further out, between Manie and the Capi. The last kms of MSR are fine as they are.
Which hill would you choose between Manie and the Capi? Why not change the finish line back to Via Roma? As an alternative, they could ascent Cipressa from Piani Paorelli instead of San Lorenzo al Mare, no? (Or is Cipressa too sacred for that?)

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Eshnar said:
As for Nib's attack, it's clear that it wasn't gonna win it, but his problem is that regardless his form, he is never gonna win the MSR. His only outside chance, as small as it can be, is doing what he did yesterday. But it is not only his problem, it's the problem of at least other 100 riders. How many of them tried something yesterday? 4? 5?

It's true that many riders aren't ambitious enough. As simple as that.

In my opinion this was just another example of those useless attacks Nibali likes to make. He does that a lot in basically all classics, so it wasn't too surprising nobody joined him. A 10 seconds gap at the top of the Poggio would have given him a bigger chance to win than attacking from this far out ever will.

Dutchsmurf said:
In my opinion this was just another example of those useless attacks Nibali likes to make. He does that a lot in basically all classics, so it wasn't too surprising nobody joined him. A 10 seconds gap at the top of the Poggio would have given him a bigger chance to win than attacking from this far out ever will.
He will never have a 10s gap on the top of Poggio if he waits for the Poggio.

Dutchsmurf said:

Alone, no chance even attacking on Poggio. But the main thing is that he will probably never win MSR. It's not for him but he likes to ride it. Podium is the best he can do and he already did it. As for the Sunday action, it was the best, slim chance he had and if he would have had some good company he would probably have been in the mix for the podium. And of course, that's what a real rider is suppose to do and not sleep in the peloton. He is somebody in this sport and he is entitled and obliged to act accordingly.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Because it risks to turn MSR into another Ardennes classic. I'd put a hill further out, between Manie and the Capi. The last kms of MSR are fine as they are.

Yes,thats definitely better idea.I like the end of the route like it is too...maybe in the middle section there should some Lombardia type of hill (not Muro ofc:D)

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
He needs some wins in order to boost his confidence. If he doesn't wins Critérium International, I'll be very surprised. He has almost no rivals.

But awesome ride in MSR btw.

Sykhrzon said:
He needs some wins in order to boost his confidence. If he doesn't wins Critérium International, I'll be very surprised. He has almost no rivals.

I think the ride in MSR gave him some confidence, but i agree he needs to gain confidence and his team needs it as well, maybe more, if he don't start winning again they will slowly loose faith and stop riding so well.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Sykhrzon said:

I think Peraud is a bigger candidate to win CI than Nibbles

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, getting worried about Nibali. Before I figured he still had time, long ways to go until July, he looked to be doing what he could in races to improve his form, and it looked to be getting gradually better. But now, out of CI, no RVV.

Hopefully they are just making these decisions so he can get caught up on his training and it has nothing to do with his race fitness. Fingers crossed we get to see a strong Nibali at the Ardennes.

If he is behind in training, it's much better to focus on training than racing at this point of the season. The most important thing for him is to be in his best possible shape for the Tour. I'd be more worried, if he raced a lot whilst not showing any form, instead of focusing on improving his form.

I wouldn't worry too much. Yeah, he's probably not there yet where he wanted to be right now, but he looked better in MSR than Paris-Nice already imo, so I guess that's a good sign.

Skipping Ronde isn't that surprising in that regard. Better prepare 100% for Liège than go out on a limb and race Ronde where he can only lose.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Dunno what you guys were expecting. He's miles behind where he should be at this point. Astana as a whole has been a disaster thus far. Better focus on training than wasting time in races he has no chance of winning.

do now want to know what u are smoking?:p miles behind what? he is not racing giro. I would say peaking for the LBL also is unnecessary lol

TRENDING THREADS