• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 146 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think Nibali knows he doesn't quite have it so far this year. And he always attacks to test himself and search for confirmation. But he isn't getting the form he wants so far.
His cautious interview before LBL says enough.

Ofcourse he can also say his goal is the TDF. But I doubt he'll be top. Good enough for a decent result, but not good enough to challenge Froome or Contador. Not by a long shot, he'll need Giro 2013 or better form for that

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
It's not one day, it's all days he's been racing thus far this season. Which are now quite a lot.

Agree, he's definitely been overall behind where he should be. My point was that to get a hint of what his current form is ATM we'll have to wait and see what he does at Romandie.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
fungusbear said:
I am hoping that I am proved wrong, but these performances to me suggest this years Tour will be a two way battle between Contador and Froome.

I hope not!!! (as much as I want contador to win). Beside Valverde who's been flying like no body business, Tejay has been quietly posting some good result. So clearly he is preparing well. I really hope Nibali would finally show up. Other wise it would be a bore fest if we only see 2 people battling.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
fungusbear said:
I am hoping that I am proved wrong, but these performances to me suggest this years Tour will be a two way battle between Contador and Froome.

funny more people have faith in Froom's non showing than Nibali's showing of very decent shape:eek:

May 19, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
He didn't look decent. He looked mediocre. He looked worse than Damiano Cunego and that's all you need to know.

Also this thing that you can't be in top shape now if your main target is TdF is just false. In 2012 he almost won this race while aiming at the Tour.

You guys need to face the truth cause it's really not that hard to see. Flawed winter preparation. I haven't seen him at this level in years. Maybe end of 2011 but that was due to fatigue. Now there's no fatigue involved, he's just plain bad.

So what to expect for the Tour? I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst (and by worst I mean an anonymous top10, I think we're at this point). Can he turn things around? I can't rule it out, but I won't be surprised if he'll still be struggling come July.

we obviously use different dictionary to define the mediocre, get back to me when tour is coming around:p

Vino attacks everyone said:
I still remember the days when the races before the tour meant nada for what we could expect in July. He is doing an Armstrong guys, wait for Dauphine atleast:rolleyes:

That's a good one. Anyway, he will be in Romandie, let's see what's going on there. It is definitely a bad season until now, not that I personally put too much thought about what he did in the Ardennes, but the overall feeling.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
funny more people have faith in Froom's non showing than Nibali's showing of very decent shape:eek:

I guess maybe because 2012 Froomey did a jack squad before TDF, and he was demolishing peloton at TDF 2012. So people are convinced that Froomey would be back on his demolishing derby day by the tour. (that's according the believe of froome's fan. :D btw i'm not froome's fan). And on the subject of nibali, I guess, we haven't seen him doing that.. a jack squad before TDF and then demolishing the peloton at TDF :D

maxmartin said:

I've seen Froome almost win a GT after showing nothing all season long.
Not Nibali.

And when I say mediocre I mean comparatively to his usual level in such important races.

Again, not saying he can't improve before the Tour. And I'd be extremely happy if he does. But it's a long way.

Rollthedice said:
That's a good one. Anyway, he will be in Romandie, let's see what's going on there.

He won't.
He was on the provisional startlist but then dropped out.

This tentative schedule just adds up to the feeling this season has been a struggle day in and day out. It gives you the idea that both he and the team don't know what's going on.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
I don't we can draw too many conclusions from his performance in a one day. Romandie will tell us more.

I like your determination :p. I remembered last year, we were saying the same thing about Contador. Wait until this, wait till that, wait ..he'll be strong by the tour. etc, etc. It was really excruciating experience to finally see that contador's form was no where near Froome after all the hope of 'wait until'... *fill in the blank yourself*

Nibali is showing the same thing. He is clearly chasing his form now. His lack of winter training is catching up with him. For sure, he will be ready for the TDF (no one doubts about it), but BIG question will be: is his form enough to challenge Froome and Contador? *cue in jeopardy music now :D*

SafeBet said:
He won't.
He was on the provisional startlist but then dropped out.

This tentative schedule just adds up to the feeling this season has been a struggle day in and day out. It gives you the idea that both he and the team don't know what's going on.

Yesterday the Swiss press announced he will be there but maybe it's like you say and indeed, the constant changing schedule is another sign. A bad one.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
I like your determination :p. I remembered last year, we were saying the same thing about Contador. Wait until this, wait till that, wait ..he'll be strong by the tour. etc, etc. It was really excruciating experience to finally see that contador's form was no where near Froome after all the hope of 'wait until'... *fill in the blank yourself*

Nibali is showing the same thing. He is clearly chasing his form now. His lack of winter training is catching up with him. For sure, he will be ready for the TDF (no one doubts about it), but BIG question will be: is his form enough to challenge Froome and Contador? *cue in jeopardy music now :D*

I don't remember Nibali pretty good before winnng the Giro and 3rd at Tourt, as a matter of fact he sucked big time in the Dauphanie before securing 3rd, losing only to the sky duo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
maxmartin said:
I don't remember Nibali pretty good before winnng the Giro and 3rd at Tourt, as a matter of fact he sucked big time in the Dauphanie before securing 3rd, losing only to the sky duo

Difference was that he was good during the season, or at least rode good in a couple of races. This year he didn't manage to ride well in one single race.

Ok, perhaps MSR, but it wasn't impressive at all.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:

he won GC at TA 2013 and Trentino, in my recollection. He was already shown that he was good and we can see he was a strong contender to win the Giro. And he even finished 2nd at last year vuelta.

I don't remember his 2012 prep. 3rd in the tour, that's what my point, with his rate right now, it won't be enough to challenge Froome and Contador. (unless podium is his target). I'm not talking about he won't be ready or not good for the Tour , I'm saying.. his form might not be enough with what he has shown so far to challenge those two.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Froome is not exactly setting fire to any races lately. But I would not write his epitaph. Nibali has not been showing the form he did last year when he won T-A. And I would not say he sucks...yet. This year is not over until the fat lady sings.

TRENDING THREADS