• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You wanna see a rider who improved during this Dauphine? Romain Bardet. That's the kind of progression I'm expecting from a rider eyeing the TdF as his main goal of the season. Struggling in the first mountain stage and getting better by the day.

Nibali on the other hand was average during the whole race and his worst showing came on the last stage. I'm sorry but this doesn't cut it for me. He needs dramatic improvement to fight for the maillot jaune.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
PirazziAttacksVino said:
It's funny the whole situation we thought about during the winter has totally changed. Nibali beating Froome at the Tour doesn't mean he'll win it :D

if AC still only battles with CF in the Tour, it creates many opportunity for other contenders to take the crown

May 19, 2011
Visit site
SafeBet said:
You wanna see a rider who improved during this Dauphine? Romain Bardet. That's the kind of progression I'm expecting from a rider eyeing the TdF as his main goal of the season. Struggling in the first mountain stage and getting better by the day.

Nibali on the other hand was average during the whole race and his worst showing came on the last stage. I'm sorry but this doesn't cut it for me. He needs dramatic improvement to fight for the maillot jaune.

patient, every rider is different, showing form in the Dauphine means nothing. You think AT can top five in the Tour? lol Slowing warning up for the Tour has always been Nibali's approach. Can't wait for the Tour starts, so Nibali can use legs to shut the mouths of doubters.:D

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
maxmartin said:
patient, every rider is different, showing form in the Dauphine means nothing. You think AT can top five in the Tour? lol Slowing warning up for the Tour has always been Nibali's approach. Can't wait for the Tour starts, so Nibali can use legs to shut the mouths of doubters.:D

Of course AT can ride top-5 in the Tour. The guy finished 10th last year while he not rode at his full potential. If you look at this Dauphine, he's even better. So he is a threat for the top-5, way more then Van Garderen.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Arredondo said:
Of course AT can ride top-5 in the Tour. The guy finished 10th last year while he not rode at his full potential. If you look at this Dauphine, he's even better. So he is a threat for the top-5, way more then Van Garderen.

Well there is huge difference between top 10, top 5 and top 3. Nibali has more chance of winning the Tour than AT gets top 5.:D

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Why wouldn't Talansky be able to top 5? And even the totally misplaced LOL behind it..

I remember Talansky as the one guy that stayed close to Quintana when the latter won the Tour l'Avenir.. He's been improving every year. He could definitely top 5

And Bardet as well. This Nibbles can fight for the podium with some creativity and courage. More than that, I doubt it.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
There's no sugarcoating Nibali's performance this past week IMO. It hasn't been very good. We've known for a while now that he is behind where he should be. There's not really much in his performance to indicate that it's any different now.

Hopefully he'll be able to hit top form at some point in the Tour, But at this point it does look like it will be a fight for 3rd for him.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Why wouldn't Talansky be able to top 5? And even the totally misplaced LOL behind it..

I remember Talansky as the one guy that stayed close to Quintana when the latter won the Tour l'Avenir.. He's been improving every year. He could definitely top 5

exceptional one week racer I gave him that, same as RC, but nothing he performed so far in three week race would make me think he can do top 5 in the Tour. Probably another Janez Brajkovič lol. Plus due the great crash reputation of Garnin, odds is definitely not on his side.:eek:

May 28, 2012
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Well there is huge difference between top 10, top 5 and top 3. Nibali has more chance of winning the Tour than AT gets top 5.:D

Talansky has copied Nibali's approach towards the Tour, but he's backing that up with a good winter, and with a sensible racing and training schedule. Talansky has a better chance to win the Tour than Nibali; it's current form that counts, not palmares.

maxmartin said:
exceptional one week racer I gave him that, same as RC, but nothing he performed so far in three week race would make me think he can do top 5 in the Tour. Probably another Janez Brajkovič lol. Plus due the great crash reputation of Garnin, odds is definitely not on his side.:eek:

Do you even remember last year? Talansky was at his strongest in the 3rd week :rolleyes:

Man you're so full of bs in your last 2 posts.. it actually isn't even worth reacting to anymore

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
maxmartin said:

The chance Nibali will win the Tour is zero, the chance Talansky gets a top-5 i rate is on 50%, so no way.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Remeber 2012 guys Nibali was alot worst that this. Nibali will be 3rd. behind Froome as Contador wins his 3rd(4) TDF:(.

In 2012 Nibali had returned from California, which really hurt his Tour preparation. He had also had a better 2012 season up to the Dauphiné, with stage wins in T-A and Oman, and he wielded the Trident. On top of that, 2nd in LBL. Now he has 0 victories, and his best performance is 5th in Romandie.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Remeber 2012 guys Nibali was alot worst that this. Nibali will be 3rd. behind Froome as Contador wins his 3rd(4) TDF:(.

some people have memory span like a few weeks, so winning the Dauphine means great things in the Tour. LMAO They should remember there is a rider called Janez Brajkovič

May 19, 2011
Visit site
TANK91 said:

btw, I still have high hopes on CF if he can avoid crashing.:D So when AC duel with CF, and maybe Nibali can take advantage of the situation. haha

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
maxmartin said:
some people have memory span like a few weeks, so winning the Dauphine means great things in the Tour. LMAO They should remember there is a rider called Janez Brajkovič

Nibali will fly in the TDF no worry's about that. He won't win imo not disrespecting a GT champ i just can't see him matching Alberto Contador or Chris Froome but Talansky and JVDB? HAHA...

May 28, 2012
Visit site
maxmartin said:

Bruyneel even said back then that Brajko was at 100% for the Dauphiné. And foremost, Janez is a special rider who can't be used to support claims like yours. He's a real 'outlier'.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
In 2012 Nibali had returned from California, which really hurt his Tour preparation. He had also had a better 2012 season up to the Dauphiné, with stage wins in T-A and Oman, and he wielded the Trident. On top of that, 2nd in LBL. Now he has 0 victories, and his best performance is 5th in Romandie.

Yes i agree with that dude what i meant was in 2012 was, Nibali not out of the top 20in Dauphinee? So he still came 3rd in the TDF. So 7th place is a big stepup really.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Nibali will fly in the TDF no worry's about that. He won't win imo not disrespecting a GT champ i just can't see him matching Alberto Contador or Chris Froome but Talansky and JVDB? HAHA...

I hear you. But Nibali still have a chance to be the AT in this Duaphine. However, CF still has a better chance to win the Tour than AC in my book, if SKY can use the exceptional strong team to run a extremely tightly controlled race.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Yes i agree with that dude what i meant was in 2012 was, Nibali not out of the top 20in Dauphinee? So he still came 3rd in the TDF. So 7th place is a big stepup really.

He's finished seventh in the Dauphiné before, and that got him 6th in the Tour. But its makes no sense comparing between these seasons, this year we've seen a different Vincenzo.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Do you even remember last year? Talansky was at his strongest in the 3rd week :rolleyes:

Man you're so full of bs in your last 2 posts.. it actually isn't even worth reacting to anymore

then don't, no one is begging your high mighty opinion.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
maxmartin said:
lol said like a cycling god, why don't you open a gambling company?

So you think Nibali got a chance against Contador, Froome, or even Valverde?

Talansky finished 7th in the Vuelta, and 10th in the Tour. Now he won the Dauphine. It would be rather strange if you say he can't ride top-5 at all.