• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 182 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
He looked calm, focused, and collected all day to me. Good riding by him.

When Contador was pushing the pace at the front I noticed he had is eye on him the entire time, not looking away at all. He's focused this Tour, that's for sure.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Nice show of strength by Saxo. I was hoping Majka would be useless after the Giro, but he got rid of Birdsong. Does he have some sort of problem? Because this was very weak. Kangert and Scarponi were good though, it's probably the fact that Astana has been riding at the front protecting the MJ taking its toll. I think they can make a decent uphill train if they really need to. If Fuglsang drops out of the top5 on monday, I hope Vino makes him a super-domestique.

Contador looking super strong, going to be really really tough for Nibbles. Richie to win it, of course.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
the_cutter said:
Nice show of strength by Saxo. I was hoping Majka would be useless after the Giro, but he got rid of Birdsong. Does he have some sort of problem? Because this was very weak. Kangert and Scarponi were good though, it's probably the fact that Astana has been riding at the front protecting the MJ taking its toll. I think they can make a decent uphill train if they really need to. If Fuglsang drops out of the top5 on monday, I hope Vino makes him a super-domestique.

Contador looking super strong, going to be really really tough for Nibbles. Richie to win it, of course.

The only real concern I have after today's stage is Nibali's team. They didn't really seem to be there at times they should have. Hopefully they will bounce back.

But I'm also kinda hoping that Fugs cracks and loses 10 minutes so he has to work entirely for Nibali and forgets about his own GC. :p

May 19, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
My only worry today was the Astana team. But was it planned? On the other hand, Tinkoff-Saxo team might have burned themselves for nothing. Monday will tell if it was worthy for them to do all that work...

I don't think it is planned. In the interview, Vino said Birdsong was supposed to be up there. But he is not. But you also have to wonder how many times can Saxo train repeat this?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Fuglsang, not tyst Great (told you so). Scarponi dere until the last hill, and Kangert got dropped down to Birdsong. Not worried at all for the mountain team

they may also think about Monday. Lemond questioned Saxo tactics, said Saxo should let Astana rider and reserve the energy for the monday. Maybe that is also Astana's tactics. Let's wait and see.

Afrank said:
The only real concern I have after today's stage is Nibali's team. They didn't really seem to be there at times they should have. Hopefully they will bounce back.

But I'm also kinda hoping that Fugs cracks and loses 10 minutes so he has to work entirely for Nibali and forgets about his own GC. :p

This stage puts to rest all the Dauphine nonsense. He was very strong and I start to think that if he keeps this advantage after Monday there is a good chance he might take the yellow to Paris. Birdsong should shut up and do some work. Today the team wasn't so important, Oleg's boys made the selection and Vincenzo didn't really need any teammates at the end stages but there are some hard days to come.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Tinkoff is stronger than Astana. Just Micheal Rogers was hurting the group. With Roman out and Majka barely at his level there's no difference at all.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Inquitus said:
Contador looks to have Nibali's number, I expect a bigger gap on Monday and the floodgates to open in the Pyrenees, also note Bertie is now the bookies favourite for the Tour.

just like Froom's used to be bookies favorite

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:

Scarponi was there, he took it easy on the last climb, 'cause there was no reason the waste energy there with Saxo attacking and Nibbles in control. Kangert had to drop and pace Birdsong. And if Fugs really was ill today then he should be better on Monday. They can match Saxo. However, Saxo is indeed stronger than I thought.

But overall yes, there are doubts creeping in my mind. Before today I thought Astana was super strong and if Contador tried a long-ranger they would bring him back. Not so sure now!

Thoughts......

Nibali defended marvelously. His team looked weak and he was basically glued on Alberto's wheel for the final 12km all by himself. There was a yellow helmet peeking through every once in a while back there but Nibali will need more team support than this very soon.

I've bred and raced thoroughbreds. There are a couple of saying that apply. Nibili was 'blowing hard' at the finish, he was used up. Alberto 'wouldn't blow out a match'; not taking a deep breath. Also in the slow mo replay it showed Nibs shake his head after the stage as if to say 'damn that man made my life hell I'm glad that is over'.

On the bigger climbs Nibs will be dropped it appears. He will hang on and fight desperately. The question is: is his cushion big enough? He needs to be in total defense mode, 2:30 is a Big spread!

BTW it is agony watching your 2 favs go mano a mano!!

May 19, 2011
Visit site
the_cutter said:
Scarponi was there, he took it easy on the last climb, 'cause there was no reason the waste energy there with Saxo attacking and Nibbles in control. Kangert had to drop and pace Birdsong. And if Fugs really was ill today then he should be better on Monday. They can match Saxo. However, Saxo is indeed stronger than I thought.

But overall yes, there are doubts creeping in my mind. Before today I thought Astana was super strong and if Contador tried a long-ranger they would bring him back. Not so sure now!

Astana also has to pick up there battles, they can't be ride in front in all MTF stages, just as I don't expect Saxo to do so. Vino said Nibble is in total control the whole stage, but I am a little bit perplexed by the final three seconds, someone said there was something wrong with the gear. I think the team will be ready for Monday, if not, then it will very tough battle for Nibali to keep the yellow.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree that birdsong needs to drop his own aspirations this year. His post-race interview yesterday was questionable to say the least. On a different note Kangert's near crash was hilarious and made up for birdsongs illness/slackage.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Carols said:
Thoughts......

Nibali defended marvelously. His team looked weak and he was basically glued on Alberto's wheel for the final 12km all by himself. There was a yellow helmet peeking through every once in a while back there but Nibali will need more team support than this very soon.

I've bred and raced thoroughbreds. There are a couple of saying that apply. Nibili was 'blowing hard' at the finish, he was used up. Alberto 'could blow out a match'; not taking a deep breath. Also in the slow mo replay it showed Nibs shoke his head after the stage as if to say 'damn that man made my life hell I'm glad that is over'.

On the bigger climbs Nibs will be dropped it appears. He will hang on and fight desperately. The question is: is his cushion big enough? He needs to be in total defense mode, 2:30 is a Big spread!

BTW it is agony watching your 2 favs go mano a mano!!

I don't think Nibbles was blowing that hard, I just don't think he had an acceleration in him at that time.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
yespatterns said:
I agree that birdsong needs to drop his own aspirations this year. His post-race interview yesterday was questionable to say the least. On a different note Kangert's near crash was hilarious and made up for birdsongs illness/slackage.

Kangert is clearly in decent form as caught up to Birdsong despite of that crash. I was pleasantly surprised with Scarponi too who despite hiding most of the time looks to be in good form

May 19, 2011
Visit site
whittashau said:
Kangert is clearly in decent form as caught up to Birdsong despite of that crash. I was pleasantly surprised with Scarponi too who despite hiding most of the time looks to be in good form

he should be, he quit giro so early, should be very fresh at this time

TRENDING THREADS