• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 191 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Impressive ride today. The Tour is not over yet, but he sure showed he's the man to beat, unless something totally out of the ordinary happens. Richie Porte, being the best TTer among the rivals, seems like the most credible challenger.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Oligarh said:
don't worry , there is a divine cosmic justice that won't allow this mediocre dude becoming "great" winning all 3 GT's

:D :D You're a lot of fun, hopefully Nibbles wins more stages in this Tour and then gives you a tour of his trophy cabinet. Possibly even a signed yellow jersey, 'cause he's a nice guy. ;)

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
today is so much harder than that day, and the weather is horrible

Yes and this was stage 10, 2012 was stage 7. Also the previous stages have been much harder compared to what they faced in 2012.

Very impressive ride, scarponi was great too.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
webbie146 said:
Yes and this was stage 10, 2012 was stage 7. Also the previous stages have been much harder compared to what they faced in 2012.

Very impressive ride, scarponi was great too.

what a fighter! I totally changed my mind about him. I can't believe he got on, and keep the pace high. Without him, J rod may just get away.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
what a fighter! I totally changed my mind about him. I can't believe he got on, and keep the pace high. Without him, J rod may just get away.

Yea Scarponi played a big part in getting Nibali the stage win today. I was actually suprised when suddenly Scarponi had returned to the front group haha, boss :cool:

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
deValtos said:
Jens' blog has Nibali at 16:44 to Froome's 16:20 over the 5.9km distance.
Gazzetta.it is still reporting Nibali being faster by 8 seconds, 1872 VAM and 6.6 watt/kg. Might very well be a mistake on their part, I don't know.

See here

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
plagioni said:
Gazzetta.it is still reporting Nibali being faster by 8 seconds, 1872 VAM and 6.6 watt/kg. Might very well be a mistake on their part, I don't know.

See here

Race Radio says that info is wrong, and I trust him.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
elfed68 said:
Wow, he looks very strong!

I doubt Froome or Contador would have troubled him, such a shame we won't be able to see this.
They surely would have, there is no shame in admiting that in top shape they're better climbers. I was hoping that Nibbles could hang with them and then do some opportunistic damage (ala cobbles stage) using his skillset. I was fairly confident of a podium and in 3 weeks there are lots of things that can happen and they did and they still can.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
elfed68 said:
Wow, he looks very strong!

I doubt Froome or Contador would have troubled him, such a shame we won't be able to see this.

Complete nonsense. They are both better climbers than Nibali will ever be (Nibali is good but not that good). Contador would have probably gained 45sec on Nibali on todays stage.

webbie146 said:
Yea Scarponi played a big part in getting Nibali the stage win today. I was actually suprised when suddenly Scarponi had returned to the front group haha, boss :cool:

Many doubted Scarponi, me included until I saw him at the Italian Championships riding for Nibs. He did a mighty fine job making the selection until the very last stages of the race. I was sure he will do a great job someday at the Tour.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Futuroscope said:
Complete nonsense. They are both better climbers than Nibali will ever be (Nibali is good but not that good). Contador would have probably gained 45sec on Nibali on todays stage.

We can estimate how much time Contador could have gained by looking at his performance against Nibali's oponents today in the past. To suggest that he would have put 45 seconds on Nibali is to suggest that he would have gained over a minute on Valverde on a climb which suits Valverde.

I think Contador would have been probably 5-10 seconds ahead, and 20 if he was having a phenomenal day. Not to mention that Nibali tends to do well when it's cooler like today

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Good job nibali, i'm really not sure if AC could have beaten him. He's really strong.

Btw i'm disgusted with the behaviour of maxmartin today, i don't wanna generalize since he's the only nibali fan who was happy Contador crashed. If you don't believe me read the stage thread. It really is disgusting how some people can act. Fans in general are sometimes a bit crazy, yea contadorfans especially but cheering for someone crashing is disgusting.

Anyways he deserves to win this tour, by far the strongest left and i'm sure he himself is sad that froome and AC aren't here anymore.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Told you Tony G won't make it.

You have to admit not having to contend with Contador was somewhat "liberating" for Vincenzo. Still, Tony's team helped out and he gave it a good try on Bastille Day. Nibali has good cause to be confident in his skills but if this last week has taught us anything; you need team support to get to Paris. Not to dampen the rabid fan's adulation or anything but sh*t happens.

Netbalp

BANNED
Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
One needs to contemplate realistically. Let's guess Froome crashed out and Contador could have won the Tour confidently. Would such a victory have considered absolutely sheer? It's not the case. If Contador had crashed and Froome would have won, it would've entailed the same questions. I'm just wanting to say that it's life and luck is always big part of life, sport including and Vincenzo is not blame for having his lucky ticket. He has ridden a very beautiful stage today and I'm for myself happy for him.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:
Good job nibali, i'm really not sure if AC could have beaten him. He's really strong.

Btw i'm disgusted with the behaviour of maxmartin today, i don't wanna generalize since he's the only nibali fan who was happy Contador crashed. If you don't believe me read the stage thread. It really is disgusting how some people can act. Fans in general are sometimes a bit crazy, yea contadorfans especially but cheering for someone crashing is disgusting.

Anyways he deserves to win this tour, by far the strongest left and i'm sure he himself is sad that froome and AC aren't here anymore.

please point out those posts, you nut job.

Futuroscope said:

I saw somewhere else that Nibs VAM today was1798. Anyone more mathematical able to calculate what it would've been for Berto if he would've take 45 sec on Nibs?

TRENDING THREADS