• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 398 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nibali discussion thread

Red Rick said:
cineteq said:
Martinelli: "We won't go to the Tour with two leaders. Vincenzo is an extra weapon. I don't want any rivalry"
Tour de France: Aru has 'blind faith' in Nibali

This is all I needed to hear to understand that Nibali is indeed the team leader for TdF! :twisted:
:lol:
I really want Nibali to be a dangerous GC contender at Tour but look at AC last year. I know he is older but I dont think that Nibali has chance even for a podium.Probably around 5th place,and that would be an achievement.I hope he can do something and win stage or two but I dont expect anything divine. Aru should be more protected imo

Nibali won the Giro, I will be very happy if he takes a stage and finishes top 10 at TdF. Anything more is a Big Ask. There seem to be a few stages that he could do well in if he has the freedom to go for it.

It is his last year with Astana and while he shouldn't burn any bridges I don't think his 'loyalty' level will be as high as usual. So if he has a stage opportunity I hope he takes it!

Then on to Rio and a medal!

Nibali as "free domestique" :) with "you do not have to but you can" attitude and with motivation to shut up everybody´s mouths as consecutive GIRO TDF winner will be much more dangerous than he used to be as solo TDF leader.

I agree with Martinelli. He is an extra weapon.

I am still not sure if I prefer him or Contador to win the Tour. I would probably cheer for Nibali as this forum would be a mastercomedy.

SKSemtex said:
Nibali as "free domestique" :) with "you do not have to but you can" attitude and with motivation to shut up everybody´s mouths as consecutive GIRO TDF winner will be much more dangerous than he used to be as solo TDF leader.

I am still not sure if I prefer him or Contador to win the Tour. I would probably cheer for Nibali as this forum would be a mastercomedy.

As much as some of us and probably all the Italian press want him to go for the win, chances are so slim given the circumstances that it would be unwise to endanger his main goal, a medal in Rio.

Rollthedice said:
SKSemtex said:

As much as some of us and probably all the Italian press want him to go for the win, chances are so slim given the circumstances that it would be unwise to endanger his main goal, a medal in Rio.

As somebody has already said in this forum. Never underestimate Nibali in GT. As we say here "only our wish is father of the idea" that he can be a contender against Froome, Quintana, Contador and Sky army of bots but probably Nibali is Gods favorite and his luck in GT is endless. And although there no cobbles this year there are still some downhils + carnage caused by sprinters :)

Re: Re:

Alexandre B. said:
hfer07 said:
El Pistolero said:
From the Secret Pro:

Nibali not stopping after Kruijswijk crashed was, in my eyes, out of order. I read somewhere that he was already planning to attack on the descent, but either way, you respect the race leader, and he didn’t.

:mad:
I'm late on this but man... He has to grow up.

I'm not sure if I allready replied to this crap before, but it's such crap that I will again.
As a dutchie and obviously someone that supported Kruijswijk I don't blame Nibali for anything. He did what he had to do. The race was on, waiting would be ridiculous.

dacooley said:
Kwibus said:
I can't believe people actually think Nibali has a shot at winning the TdF.
I'm more more surprised nobody calls him a covert favorite. sometimes riders tend to be the biggest contenders but only a pile of truly competent experts give them it. like 2 years ago. cineteq won't let anyone lie.

He rode the Giro and won it. I don't think he can compete with the best at the TdF after doing that.
If he didn't ride the Giro then I'd put him amond the favourites, not my biggest favourite, but he would be a challenger for sure.

cineteq said:
How do you know for sure that a medal in Rio is his main goal?
Right. I'm not so sure that's the case. Bettering Contador's Giro-Tour attempt and finishing ahead of Aru in GC may be what he's after. He hates their guts... or at least gives off that impression.

The problem, even if his form is better than you can reasonably expect is that he won't have much team support until at least the Pyrenees. I think Aru will be ready, though, and a genuine podium contender, which makes it even less likely.

The Froomes and Quintanas better wish that Nibs has no intention whatsoever to challenge for the win otherwise they'll have to look for every stone, bump in the road, corner, wheels front, left, right and back, they'll have to wash their hands properly, eat carefully to avoid getting sick and even then the probability for them to exit early will still be high.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
The Froomes and Quintanas better wish that Nibs has no intention whatsoever to challenge for the win otherwise they'll have to look for every stone, bump in the road, corner, wheels front, left, right and back, they'll have to wash their hands properly, eat carefully to avoid getting sick and even then the probability for them to exit early will still be high.

This I'm more worried about indeed :lol:

Kwibus said:
dacooley said:
Kwibus said:
I'm more more surprised nobody calls him a covert favorite. sometimes riders tend to be the biggest contenders but only a pile of truly competent experts give them it. like 2 years ago. cineteq won't let anyone lie.

He rode the Giro and won it. I don't think he can compete with the best at the TdF after doing that.
If he didn't ride the Giro then I'd put him amond the favourites, not my biggest favourite, but he would be a challenger for sure.

Exactly. How anyone can expect him to win after Winning the Giro, boggles my mind. It doesn't seem possible anymore, there are to many Big Guys that point for the Tour only. A stage and a top 10 sure, that should be within his grasp.

Kwibus said:
Rollthedice said:

This I'm more worried about indeed :lol:

:lol: I almost peeped myself.

Carols said:
Kwibus said:
dacooley said:
Kwibus said:

Exactly. How anyone can expect him to win after Winning the Giro, boggles my mind. It doesn't seem possible anymore, there are to many Big Guys that point for the Tour only. A stage and a top 10 sure, that should be within his grasp.

Well sure but why would Nibali give a rodent's anus about a top 10 anyway? Top 10s are a big deal for fringe GC riders looking to justify a leader's salary at teams without a serious contender. They have no real relevance for a guy who has won all 3 GTs. Nibali should be in the league of riders who only notice wins or, at the biggest races, podiums.

TRENDING THREADS