• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 400 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It almost looked like he just wanted to make sure Aru was in the lead group and 300m left he just pulled off and cruised to finish. Until that he was confortably just ahead/aside of Aru. He is going to be entertaining once the time is right.

"I took 11 seconds from the GC contenders because I missed a bit of power in the final sprint - explained Nibali - when the final sprint started I couldn't follow the first riders and I have taken a small gap but I'm confident because I think it's perfectly normal after one month without racing... On the contrary I'm satisfied about my performance because in a difficult stage with narrow roads and high rhythm, we demonstrated that our legs are good!"

Re:

Rollthedice said:
"I took 11 seconds from the GC contenders because I missed a bit of power in the final sprint - explained Nibali - when the final sprint started I couldn't follow the first riders and I have taken a small gap but I'm confident because I think it's perfectly normal after one month without racing... On the contrary I'm satisfied about my performance because in a difficult stage with narrow roads and high rhythm, we demonstrated that our legs are good!"

Works for me :)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

cineteq said:
How many times you said that in this year's Giro?
SeriousSam said:
Not a good sign. Valverde did the Giro too (and more besides) and he was 3rd.

It was a sound assessment each and every time

Of course, hell froze over, Crashweak crashed, a monkey typed Shakespeare and Nibali won the Giro. But them signs, they sure weren't good.

SeriousSam said:
cineteq said:
How many times you said that in this year's Giro?
SeriousSam said:
Not a good sign. Valverde did the Giro too (and more besides) and he was 3rd.

It was a sound assessment each and every time

Of course, hell froze over, Crashweak crashed, a monkey typed Shakespeare and Nibali won the Giro. But them signs, they sure weren't good.

Except he isn't in France to win Le Tour and from that perspective the signs are good. If Valverde can keep the form aaaallll the way to Rio, that's a plus quality he has, nothing even remotely wrong with how Nibali performed today.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
by the third week, Nibali and Majka are probably the most fresh one. If Nibali doesn't loose much time, he'll be up there. You can't pass on opportunity if you happen close to the top :)

Re:

Jelantik said:
by the third week, Nibali and Majka are probably the most fresh one. If Nibali doesn't loose much time, he'll be up there. You can't pass on opportunity if you happen close to the top :)

How in the world will they be the most fresh in the 3rd week? Maybe if they sit along and finish with the grupetto during the first 2 weeks.
Certainly not when they try to hang on.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Not a finish for him, but still it's pretty clear he doesn't have the shape to compete with the best in the first week.
I like he was always very close to the front during the stage though.

Looks like tempo was not an issue for him, which is good sign. He was confortably near the front when Kreuziger did his monster pull. He dropped (intentionally?) only when the sprint started, so probably indeed lacking some final push still.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Kwibus said:
Jelantik said:

How in the world will they be the most fresh in the 3rd week? Maybe if they sit along and finish with the grupetto during the first 2 weeks.

"he will be up there" = he can win a stage :) (when everyone is busy killing themselves trying to hang on sky train in week 2, by week 3 they are all pretty much hanging by the seat of their pants)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

lenric said:
SafeBet said:
Not a finish for him, but still it's pretty clear he doesn't have the shape to compete with the best in the first week.
I like he was always very close to the front during the stage though.

He hasn't ridden a stage since May, it's normal.
This,I hope it is only because he lacks rhytm.

Kwibus said:
Jelantik said:

Vincenzo Nibali began the Tour de France tasked with helping Astana team mate Fabio Aru try to win on his debut but the fickle nature of the world's greatest cycling race means the Italian could yet fight for the yellow jersey.

The 2014 champion won this year's Giro d'Italia and the Tour is, in theory, a step towards the Rio Olympics where Nibali will be one of the favourites for road gold.

History suggests priorities can change, however, and pledges to ride for a team leader can be forgotten if glory looms.

In 1986 Bernard Hinault said he would work for La Vie Claire team mate Greg LeMond but broke his promise. LeMond still managed to become the first American to win the Tour.

More recently, Alberto Contador and Lance Armstrong in 2009, and Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome in 2012, had rocky relations on the Tour.

Paolo Slongo, Nibali's coach, would not rule out any scenario for his rider.

"His goals this season were the Giro d'Italia and the Olympics but a rider like him, on the Tour, is a bit free in the opening stages," Slongo told Reuters before the start of Tuesday's fourth stage in Saumur.

"He starts the Tour as an aide to Fabio Aru since his programme is revolving around the Olympics. He's ready to help Aru, it's normal."

The Olympic road race will be held on Aug. 6, 13 days after the end of the Tour and riders are expected to peak during the Tour and hold their form for Rio de Janeiro.

"He won the Giro so he starts here without any pressure for a result," Slongo said. "He has no pressure from Astana. He is extremely serene, taking it day by day, without any stress."

Freed from pressure, Nibali, who was back to his flamboyant best during the Giro, could be dangerous.

"Let's see how it goes in the Pyrenees, see where the big guns are," he said.

If Nibali, who is nine seconds behind the main favourites, including Froome and Aru, after four stages, does not lose too much time between Friday and Sunday, anything could be possible as the Italian is set to peak towards the end of the race.

"He's not at 100 percent yet because of the Giro d'Italia. He should be at his best towards the end of the Tour," said Slongo. "We don't know how far he can go."

The 26-year-old Aru, who won the 2015 Vuelta, might find out soon.

Re:

Jelantik said:

No way Nibali will be fresh in the third week after doing the Giro and winning the hard way. Maybe even the first mountain stage will show how fresh Nibali is when the opposition will not be Chaves and SK but Froome and Quintana. He will support Aru and try for a stage win if he has the legs. Anything else will surprise me. If you think Nibali will do the double or make the podium you are dreaming. Majka's only role is to support Contador and nothing else. He might get a chance for a stage win if Contador slips backwards.

Kwibus said:
Jelantik said:

Oh yes Aru will get plenty of help from Nibali ! Nibali was not even trying yesterday, it was a training ride. He is changing teams, he has the Olympics and he does not care about Aru. You see Contador busting a gut to hang in there while Nibali was training. There is the difference between both riders. Contador always competes.

Nibali cant help Aru as his form is too bad. Ever since his peaking method, he only gets in form for that race which here is the Olympics. Valverde on the other hand has been pretty good as he knows how to peak for a 2nd GT in succession but most likely he may not be extremely competitive in the Olympics

TRENDING THREADS