• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 462 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
movingtarget said:
Froome has shown that he has a big capacity to recover quickly. I think it's going to be very tight.
It looks crucial that Nibali's team drives a huge pace in these next two days. They can't help him much on stage 20 anyway, so surely they have to give everything to make these rolling Cantabrian and Asturian stages really demanding. And the terrain is there to make them really tough like hilly classics. They should make sure that no-one can recover properly from today and yesterday and so that when anyone cracks on Angliru it's going to be a big one.

Contador 's presence won't help Froome at all because he will now try to attack on every stage and if he doesn't gain time himself, someone else will. One or two riders like the Orica riders further down GC will try and go with Contador. That is bad news for Froome as he won't get the easy rides before the Angliru that he wants. Froome is hoping for two easy days, can't see it happening after yesterday. Trek and Orica will sense opportunities at least for a stage win. Poels and Nieve will very important now for Froome.

Re:

telencefalus said:
it will be interesting to ask Nibali if he thinks that is condition is better at la vuelta than in the giro , i think he is better in this gt , this will debunk the fact that everybody at la vuelta are more tired than at giro
I'd be curious too, but by looking at his performance and Zakarin's, I would say: equal. And deep inside, I wish that Pinot was there. Giro-Vuelta is the way to go, unless you bet all your chips on July and the big prize.

Dumoulin would have won this Vuelta. Too bad he didn't try. same with Quintana.

Vino-cenzo can win. It's not over.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
DFA123 said:
movingtarget said:
Froome has shown that he has a big capacity to recover quickly. I think it's going to be very tight.
It looks crucial that Nibali's team drives a huge pace in these next two days. They can't help him much on stage 20 anyway, so surely they have to give everything to make these rolling Cantabrian and Asturian stages really demanding. And the terrain is there to make them really tough like hilly classics. They should make sure that no-one can recover properly from today and yesterday and so that when anyone cracks on Angliru it's going to be a big one.

Contador 's presence won't help Froome at all because he will now try to attack on every stage and if he doesn't gain time himself, someone else will. One or two riders like the Orica riders further down GC will try and go with Contador. That is bad news for Froome as he won't get the easy rides before the Angliru that he wants. Froome is hoping for two easy days, can't see it happening after yesterday. Trek and Orica will sense opportunities at least for a stage win. Poels and Nieve will very important now for Froome.

Bahrain should make a fair deal of pushing as well in the next two stages. The only one who can stay in climbs at least for a while is Pellizzotti. They can save him and put the rest 6 to work their ass out. They are useless anyway in 119km Angliru stage.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
at the start of lavuelta i was pessimistic of Nibali chance to win overall , the guy has almost 150000 km under his belt , and also he said that winning Lombardia was also his target, but i think that Nibali at this vuelta is better than giro so hope he keeps improving and he can win

Rewatched the stage. Nibali was very smart during the whole climb. As soon as he understood he couldn't follow Contador he started pacing himself, accelerating in the final 3 km when it was clear Froome was struggling.

He will find allies in the next few stages.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
Nibali may not be at his very best, but he's still pretty good and what is important, he's pacing himself very well - today, yesterday in the TT - actually during pretty much all of the stages. That's his racing smarts (+ an extra lesson learnt at this year's Giro).

I really agree with this. He has raced this exceptionally well, from the early stage win to not going too deep on terrain that didn't suit him (particularly at that stage in the race) to managing his efforts well now. Only questionable racing decision was the flyer he tried on the 5% slopes a few days back that seemed to cost him seconds i the end. I'm cautiously optimistic that he's still got a bit in the tank to really unleash some powerful attacks in the closing days.

This is so frustrating. Just when you think he has finally cracked froome this bs happens. After this, Nibali has to make a long range attack or it's over and considering Sky's strength I could basically just write it's over. I'm so mad right now. This is one of these moments in cycling where I just don't want to accept the truth. :(

TRENDING THREADS