• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 498 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Nirvana said:
Actually Bahrain is his team (literally) so he could do what he wants now.
The only one that has some influence on him is Slongo that (for example) convinced him to ride Sanremo.

Thought it was that Bahraini prince's team...

But, anyway, so the last one should have been

"Well, *** this! I'm doing Vlaanderen this year, and you can't stop me!" or something like that?

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Nirvana said:
The only one that has some influence on him is Slongo that (for example) convinced him to ride Sanremo.
That decision was alright

He attacked on numerous occasions on the Poggio before, once finishing on the podium. He also attacked once on the Cipressa so the only thing Slongo had to do was to convince him he had a good enough condition to challenge the win. As for Flanders, Verbrugghe gave him support in what seemed a crazy idea. Tomorrow we'll find out if he can do something good.

RedheadDane said:
Nirvana said:

Thought it was that Bahraini prince's team...

But, anyway, so the last one should have been

"Well, **** this! I'm doing Vlaanderen this year, and you can't stop me!" or something like that?
The prince put the money (well, also Merida) but the team is run by his former agent, the management and employees are largely from old Liquigas or were with Nibali at Astana, he choose the riders he wanted between old team mates like Pellizotti and friends like Pozzovivo. And was him that convinced the prince to do the team after a meeting in the offseason before 2016 knowing that he would have left Astana at the end of the season.

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
Nirvana said:
That decision was alright

He attacked on numerous occasions on the Poggio before, once finishing on the podium. He also attacked once on the Cipressa so the only thing Slongo had to do was to convince him he had a good enough condition to challenge the win. As for Flanders, Verbrugghe gave him support in what seemed a crazy idea. Tomorrow we'll find out if he can do something good.
First and foremost he convinced him to ride because he doesn't want to. This winter in an interview (probably I also posted here the link when it was released) they asked to him about Sanremo and he answered that he didn't want to ride anymore on this route because he thought was too easy without Manie.

Re:

Ivan_Basso_77 said:
To sum up, a really good display today. Too bad he couldn't hold with Terpstra for just a couple of hundred meters longer - then he may have even had a chance for the podium. However, Nibbles should be convinced to ride Ronde again.

Good race, he can be proud of what he achieved against ultra specialized 10 kilos heavier guys. Nobody could hold Terpstra's wheel today and it was obvious that Nibali was not at 100%. I'm not sure Ronde is for him, time is running out.

Gigs_98 said:
Man, it sucks that nibali couldn't hold terpstra's wheel. He probably would have finished together with pedersen on the podium. Anyway, this race probably convinced him to give the cobbles another shot in the coming years
If he wins Liege then I can see him giving up GTs and adding a few kg and power to give this and roubaix a shot. Maybe even Yorkshire 2019.

Up until blowing up it was exactly what I'd hoped for. The Kruisberg is the ideal spot for him in this race, and he was really there on all the right moments. Don't necessarily think he'd need extra muscles for Vlaanderen, but rather more specific preparation.

Great ride nonetheless.

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
Great ride, now onto Pais Vasco. Respect.
I can only imagine him doing Titi Voeckler faces at the back of the peloton for the first 3 stages

He'll ride for the home brothers. He could use some help in the summer in France.
I can see him attacking on a descent though. Maybe even with one of the Izaguirres as they are pretty good descenders iirc.
Generally Pais Vasco should really be preparation for the Ardennes though. If his shape coming out of that race is like his shape coming out of Tirreno Adriatico I expect great things :D
Rollthedice said:
24th place finish.
Very good result. Not only because he got 24th, but also because he wasn't just sitting in the peloton the whole day doing nothing but sucking wheels. He didn't ride to gain experience but to win.

Good performance, but not great. Cool that he initiated the decisive attack. If he makes Flanders his goal of the season he will be one of the contenders, but I'm not sure if he will do that any time soon. GT's and Liege are more important to him.

TRENDING THREADS