• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 605 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Carols said:
Nacho said:
Red Rick said:
Today's stage reminded me of Angliru 2017 a little bit.
LOL! That's funny. I see where you are coming from, and I was sort of thinking the same. But, it wasn't near as bad (obvious) of a gift as Angliru 2017, was it?
Gift my butt. Froome was All In to catch him!
LOL. I never thought of that. Maybe that is why Kwiatkowski was in such a foul mood towards the summit -- he wasn't wanting to catch him, but let him fall all the way to the bottom??? LOL

Very happy to see Vincenzo finally get his win. It has been a year of struggles since what happened last July. A very emotional moment indeed.

Since 2010 there hasn't been a year in which he hasn't achieved something significant (a win/poidum in a Monument or stage win/overall win/podium in a GT). Glad that the trend is continuing. Lombardia, next.

It's always incredible how good is for him going over 2000 meters, they always talk about colombians but i think he's the one that improves much at high altitude, this week in three days he passed from saying to Wiggins he was dead already at the foot of Vars to hanging one minute for 15 kms despite Jumbo making a pace that discouraged everyone to attack from the GC group. Yesterday was also the best climb possible for him with extreme lenght, not steep gradient (excluding the very final ramp) and the altitude but already on the Iseran he looked really good and when was catched only Bernal dropped him and was able to stay with the other GC riders till the top.

Anyway i don't know how to interpret his shape, he started the Tour saying that he could have been good in the first two weeks and fade in the third but then at the first medium mountain he looked gone, he said he was ill but after some days he said he wasn't ill and now in the end he looked like he could have stayed with the favourites. I think there will be a big difference for the fall if he's still carrying some Giro shape or he build up for a new peak during the Tour like in 2016, in the first case i can't see him doing well again this year.

Re:

Nirvana said:
It's always incredible how good is for him going over 2000 meters, they always talk about colombians but i think he's the one that improves much at high altitude, this week in three days he passed from saying to Wiggins he was dead already at the foot of Vars to hanging one minute for 15 kms despite Jumbo making a pace that discouraged everyone to attack from the GC group. Yesterday was also the best climb possible for him with extreme lenght, not steep gradient (excluding the very final ramp) and the altitude but already on the Iseran he looked really good and when was catched only Bernal dropped him and was able to stay with the other GC riders till the top.

Anyway i don't know how to interpret his shape, he started the Tour saying that he could have been good in the first two weeks and fade in the third but then at the first medium mountain he looked gone, he said he was ill but after some days he said he wasn't ill and now in the end he looked like he could have stayed with the favourites. I think there will be a big difference for the fall if he's still carrying some Giro shape or he build up for a new peak during the Tour like in 2016, in the first case i can't see him doing well again this year.
He was both in form and really fatigued. I think he did well on taking his off days really calmly and muster whatever energy he had for the final few days. Perhaps the shortness of the final stagse actually helped him in that regard.

Red Rick said:
Nirvana said:

He was both in form and really fatigued. I think he did well on taking his off days really calmly and muster whatever energy he had for the final few days. Perhaps the shortness of the final stagse actually helped him in that regard.

Hehe, now the shortness of a stage apparently helps the one guy whom everybody always says benefits from long endurance races.

tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Nirvana said:

Hehe, now the shortness of a stage apparently helps the one guy whom everybody always says benefits from long endurance races.
I don't see how they're mutually exclusive.

Especially because in a breakaway the flat parts will also tire breakaway riders cause they have to work there too. Saturday that was only 25km. And still, the climb was 80 minutes long, which definitely favoured Nibali.

tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Nirvana said:

If it didn't favored him then the win is more outstanding but there were certainly a few favorable conditions in that particular stage, extreme length of the climb, steady gradients for most of it, part over 2000m.

rick james said:
Red Rick said:
it was gifted
Angliru 2017 was definitely gifted as several riders from other teams took turns pulling for Contador.
Stage 20, probably not as Bernal and Thomas were content to coast home 1-2 while the Movistar riders didn't have enough in the tank to attack until they were inside the final 1km. No one else had anything left.

Rollthedice said:
del1962 said:
When you podium the Giro you’re not too old to win

Of course not. It's a narrative that comes up from time to time, it was also used before the Giro when his chances were dismissed. People forget too quickly that he finished second in a Grand Tour just 2 months ago while being stronger than all the other favorites. What he still needs this year is a big win and then off to Trek.

He should go back to Astana not Trek, last Trek GT Podium was Grandpapa

DanielSong39 said:
rick james said:
Red Rick said:
it was gifted
Angliru 2017 was definitely gifted as several riders from other teams took turns pulling for Contador.
Stage 20, probably not as Bernal and Thomas were content to coast home 1-2 while the Movistar riders didn't have enough in the tank to attack until they were inside the final 1km. No one else had anything left.

Nothing to do with Nibali, take it elsewhere!

del1962 said:
Rollthedice said:
del1962 said:

Of course not. It's a narrative that comes up from time to time, it was also used before the Giro when his chances were dismissed. People forget too quickly that he finished second in a Grand Tour just 2 months ago while being stronger than all the other favorites. What he still needs this year is a big win and then off to Trek.

Astana wanted to take him back, but had not that kind of money...
At least that's what Martinelli said sometime ago.

Edit: In theory Trek has the climbing firepower to help Vincenzo, even extremely well, if those riders give up on their personal ambitions...

Climbing said:
del1962 said:
Rollthedice said:
del1962 said:

Astana wanted to take him back, but had not that kind of money...
At least that's what Martinelli said sometime ago.

Edit: In theory Trek has the climbing firepower to help Vincenzo, even extremely well, if those riders give up on their personal ambitions...

Yeah like LPR :)

TRENDING THREADS