• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 610 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have no idea what to make of that.

Could be a) pain still felt - at times - after last year's spine treatment/surgery, no cortico or painkillers allowed/desired
b) good promotion of the aforementioned hospital

It could be, or not, related with today's performance. I'd say more as in hampering his prep than the actual race.

As for today, it was similar with the latest races, always in front, active (he followed with ease a few accelerations from Valverde and others on the first few San Luca climbs) then struggled on the penultimate but was in the favorites group just to switch off when the hammer went down on the last climb.

I'm still not totally depressed about Lombardia but with no team and his dubious shape it doesn't look too good.

Nah, the therapy is nothing, he trained the very same day.
The problem is if he has any pain when going full gas, which he said he had in the past.
Maybe is just publicity, otherwise is very likely that the news wouldn't even get out.

Apart from all that, I think the signs are bad enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does alright in GdL, considering he raced very little after the TdF.
And I guess the team isn't a problem either, cause Jumbo might be able to control the race easily enough, at least in the first part.

The problem is if he has any pain when going full gas, which he said he had in the past.
Maybe is just publicity, otherwise is very likely that the news wouldn't even get out.

Apart from all that, I think the signs are bad enough, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does alright in GdL, considering he raced very little after the TdF.
And I guess the team isn't a problem either, cause Jumbo might be able to control the race easily enough, at least in the first part.
And he has Caruso. One could build a house one his back

I mean, he was 8th last year then 2nd in Il Lombardia. I still expect a top 10, but at this point I don't expect him to be close to the win.

Nevertheless, the time to start raindancing is now
tenor.gif

I mean, he was 8th last year then 2nd in Il Lombardia. I still expect a top 10, but at this point I don't expect him to be close to the win.

Nevertheless, the time to start raindancing is now
tenor.gif

There's still Tre Valli until next Saturday and even then I think we will not be fully convinced until the last part of Civiglio. As it stands now rain is quite possible.

A top 10 without Valverde in it will equal Valverde's top 10s in monuments...

In a short video before the race today he admits he is not in 2015 shape (when he won TVV), we'll see what we can do with the new parcours and when asked about Lombardia, how's the "sensations", Nibali says "stable", not the best shape but try to do the best. When asked if he will compensate with "fantasia" his shape as he did in the past, he smiles and says the legs count more than "fantasia".

In a short video before the race today he admits he is not in 2015 shape (when he won TVV), we'll see what we can do with the new parcours and when asked about Lombardia, how's the "sensations", Nibali says "stable", not the best shape but try to do the best. When asked if he will compensate with "fantasia" his shape as he did in the past, he smiles and says the legs count more than "fantasia".
"I wasn't afraid to be great and I'm not afraid to be sh*te"

Reactions: Rollthedice
Only chance this time it's...

giphy.gif
Nibali took part in four Lombardia with bad weather and rain, in 2006 he didn't finish, in 2010 he crashed while trying to follow god mode Gilbert in the descent of Sormano, in 2012 he crashed in the descent of Ghisallo and in 2013 crashed and abandoned before even reaching the foot of Sormano (in 2012 and 2013 there was Sormano then Ghisallo).

Reactions: yaco
Nibali took part in four Lombardia with bad weather and rain, in 2006 he didn't finish, in 2010 he crashed while trying to follow god mode Gilbert in the descent of Sormano, in 2012 he crashed in the descent of Ghisallo and in 2013 crashed and abandoned before even reaching the foot of Sormano (in 2012 and 2013 there was Sormano then Ghisallo).
But this time the Nibali to crash in the rain will be Antonio, and cause Antonio descends like a granny in bubblewrap all will be fine

TRENDING THREADS