• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 716 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I still can't believe he will be at the top of the Colombière with the favourites, especially after today's effort. Maybe if the pace is not crazy high... Jumbo clearly is not gonna drill it, Pog isn't in a hurry to be in yellow, we'll have to see what Ineos does. Thomas seems off his best but Carapaz is in blistering form so maybe they will already try something.

Yesterday he said he has to drop out of the GC in order to win a stage. Today he goes in a break and lands in sixth just behind Pog. Tomorrow: "it's not my intention to be so high in GC but the legs responded well"
Let's not forget the interview where he says he has no intention to be in break, 'cause that would just doom the attempt. Yet he was among the first ones to move. He's such a snake and I love it.

4990275_0.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Carols and hfer07
if they assume (just like we all do) that pogacar is untouchable then he is not in the equation, he just happens to profit from it
TBH, in some way I am jealous, that you (all, probably) think Nibali may win something..
That's so ridiculous and so stupid that becomes so crazy, and yes, unfortunately so wonderful.

This is totally ridiculous
NIbali was not in contention at the Giro because he crashed a few weeks before and hurt his wrist

This idea that he is all washed up when Richie Porte,, Damino Caruso and Geraint Thomas are not is also ridiculous

I cant see why Niobali is the only one who cant win anything ??

Nibali may not be able to beat Pogacar but neither can anyone else

On a fast rouler stage he may find it difficult to stay at the end on the slopes with Allaphill;pe but then no one else can

And he doesn't have the power of WVA and MvDP but who has ?

Nibali is smart and lucky ...If Nibali is all washed up then so is every one else in the peloton except the few mentioned above ...but there are many ways to skin a cat and win a race

Reactions: jmdirt
This idea that he is all washed up when Richie Porte,, Damino Caruso and Geraint Thomas are not is also ridiculous

He had been bossing things when those three were still busy slaving, for some reasons it makes people things they are fresher talents.

By the way, I don't fully get the hype about his Olympic chance like it's worth for him to put all the season hope all in it. If he's seen as declining and having difficulty peaking for anything, why do some think he'll suddenly fly like it's Rio again?

He had been bossing things when those three were still busy slaving, for some reasons it makes people things they are fresher talents.

By the way, I don't fully get the hype about his Olympic chance like it's worth for him to put all the season hope all in it. If he's seen as declining and having difficulty peaking for anything, why do some think he'll suddenly fly like it's Rio again?
Because Vino

because we feel the God of the Bag is hearing our prayers.

Reactions: jmdirt

If you don't fully get the hype after years of unreasonable hype in this thread you haven't really paid attention :D

Realistically speaking, the Olympics RR is often a strange race. Legs matter, but team tactics and ability to read the race are equally important. A few contenders won't be there or might be tired after a Tour ridden full gas. Nibali also has a history of over performing in long and hard races (even last year in the WC, when his shape was far from optimal).

So yeah, at the moment he's far from a favorite, but I wouldn't say he has zero chances of winning.

Realistically the only unknown for today is when will he drop. In a parallel bag world he finishes with a group of contenders and ends up second in GC.
After yesterday, the only team with capabilities and will to drive hard starting from Col de Romme is Ineos. And even they might be vary because of Thomas. For JV and DQS as low pace as possible is advantage. UAE is dead after yesterday. Break can definitely succeed today and in peloton it will probably be matter of single rider attacks. Won't be suprised if Nibs is right there in the mix still good part up to Colombier, but will not be probably in the selected group to respond (late) attacks from the likes of Carapaz.

Though the wildcard called Movistar can do anything in the remit of imagination.

Reactions: Summoned

TRENDING THREADS