• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 720 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I mean he wasn't completely awful on Sunday, in what was probably the most competitive break of the Tour. Would have rather seen him try on Saturday though, he may have had a better chance (but oc TGBM took the win home for the squad).

About Sunday in his own words:

"I wanted to push a little bit to see how the legs are and I realized that the situation is a bit so and so".

In the meantime, Astana's Martinelli tells us more about Nibali's move for next year:

"The idea came to me at this year's Tirreno-Adriatico. One morning I threw it out to Vincenzo, I asked him why he didn't come back to us to end his career, after having won everything. He came to the bus the next day and told me 'you know I thought about it! If it could be done it would be nice'. From there I started to work on the sides of my team and whoever had some doubts, which is normal since he is 36 years old".

"Vincenzo's return to Astana would give something more: both to the team, as well as stirring up some desire in him. It would be good for both of us: for us as a team, since a champion who would give prestige to Astana Premier Tech would be back, but also for him, since maybe he still has something to give, who knows he might be able to do it with us. We hope to close the deal soon".

In the meantime, Astana's Martinelli tells us more about Nibali's move for next year:

"The idea came to me at this year's Tirreno-Adriatico. One morning I threw it out to Vincenzo, I asked him why he didn't come back to us to end his career, after having won everything. He came to the bus the next day and told me 'you know I thought about it! If it could be done it would be nice'. From there I started to work on the sides of my team and whoever had some doubts, which is normal since he is 36 years old".

"Vincenzo's return to Astana would give something more: both to the team, as well as stirring up some desire in him. It would be good for both of us: for us as a team, since a champion who would give prestige to Astana Premier Tech would be back, but also for him, since maybe he still has something to give, who knows he might be able to do it with us. We hope to close the deal soon".
5gcp7x.jpg

Fuglsang is furiously scribbling on his diary right now. Does he have a contract with Astana for next year? If not he may decide it's suddenly time to depart after almost a decade there ;)

Actually Birdsong has a theory for the reason he is not quite in shape and he mentioned also Nibali: "I think the vaccine holds me back in performance. The same thing happened to Vincenzo."

• Wow
Reactions: Carols
Davide "Mancini" Cassani about his team:

"I would compare Nibali with Jorginho, two born experienced directors, Damiano Caruso with Barella for their versatility, Moscon and Chiesa since they are two born attackers, Ciccone and Insigne for their unpredictable "shots" and Bettiol with Locatelli for their tactical concreteness."

"Obviously, we will follow a tactic agreed with all the Azzurri in the coming days, each of the five will have a specific role without designated captains."

"It's a very challenging course, with its 4,865 meters of elevation gain and three tough climbs, the most challenging of which will be the Mikuni Pass, 33 kilometers from the finish. A 7-kilometer climb with an average gradient of 10% that will select the lot of favorites. This will be followed by 10 kilometers of descent and a hilly finish. It would be an ideal route for a 100% Nibali, maybe with a few years less..."

"I would compare Nibali with Jorginho, two born experienced directors, Damiano Caruso with Barella for their versatility, Moscon and Chiesa since they are two born attackers, Ciccone and Insigne for their unpredictable "shots" and Bettiol with Locatelli for their tactical concreteness."

"Obviously, we will follow a tactic agreed with all the Azzurri in the coming days, each of the five will have a specific role without designated captains."

"It's a very challenging course, with its 4,865 meters of elevation gain and three tough climbs, the most challenging of which will be the Mikuni Pass, 33 kilometers from the finish. A 7-kilometer climb with an average gradient of 10% that will select the lot of favorites. This will be followed by 10 kilometers of descent and a hilly finish. It would be an ideal route for a 100% Nibali, maybe with a few years less..."

"In 2016, he did a Sterling but was not awarded a penalty"

Moscon and Chiesa are two very different attackers...

Very good feeling about Nibali. 2021 seems to be the year for 36 year-old Italian men winning 2020 events.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't even know what a great profile for Nibali is anymore.
A rainy Roubaix where bike handling count more than raw power? A pan flat race where for some reason there is only a reduced group (think of London or Doha) and you can time an attack with a couple of kms to go and if you are lucky the chasing isn't enough to catch you? Otherwise there are still post Tour fixed criteriums :smirk:

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS