• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 721 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
azzurri1-kiPC-U4102861250907SVH-528x329@Gazzetta-Web_528x329.jpg

The journey was long, as was to be expected, but it went well. And so the national cycling teams ... arrived as scheduled on Sunday for dinner (7 hours ahead of Italy) in the centre near Lake Yamanaka that hosts them. It is located near Mount Fuji.

as reported by Gazzetta

azzurri1-kiPC-U4102861250907SVH-528x329@Gazzetta-Web_528x329.jpg

The journey was long, as was to be expected, but it went well. And so the national cycling teams ... arrived as scheduled on Sunday for dinner (7 hours ahead of Italy) in the centre near Lake Yamanaka that hosts them. It is located near Mount Fuji.

as reported by Gazzetta

Nibali rooms with Bettiol, Moscon is alone. Emilio Magni, Nibali's doctor is also there so all is under control.

Reactions: Carols
Italian athletes are also worried about the situation: an Italian journalist who arrived on Sunday at Tokyo Haneda airport, coming from Rome Fiumicino, tested positive for Covid after a salivary swab and is currently in a Covid hotel where he should stay about ten days. The case was confirmed by the Italian embassy in the Japanese capital. On board the flight that took off on Saturday, according to the Coni website, there were ... the representatives of road cycling of the coach. Cassani: Alberto Bettiol, Damiano Caruso, Giulio Ciccone, Gianni Moscon, Vincenzo Nibali, Marta Bastianelli, Marta Cavalli, Elisa Longo Borghini and Soraya Paladin. The cyclists are, however, already training on the Japanese roads at the foot of Mount Fuji.

As reported in Italiano here

https://www.corriere.it/sport/olimp...hi-c0bde584-e855-11eb-a441-7c7ca8688e2a.shtml

More from Gazzetta:
azzurri-k3JE-U4102911282384KpH-528x329@Gazzetta-Web_528x329.jpg

Japan: the Azzurri on the course. Caruso: "The last climb Mikuni Pass is similar to Civiglio"
Heat and humidity ... "It will be a very demanding test".
Nibali : "True, the final climb is very hard and the heat will play an important role, we sweat a lot".

More from Gazzetta:
azzurri-k3JE-U4102911282384KpH-528x329@Gazzetta-Web_528x329.jpg

Japan: the Azzurri on the course. Caruso: "The last climb Mikuni Pass is similar to Civiglio"
Heat and humidity ... "It will be a very demanding test".
Nibali : "True, the final climb is very hard and the heat will play an important role, we sweat a lot".
What a squad. Let's hope the heat neutralizes Pog a bit.

Also let's hope the games actually happen.

Time to hate Ineos again for Moscon wearing Ineos helmet on Italian team kit.
Forget about the helmet. Trek and Pinarello at least managed to preapre a special frame paintings for the Olympics, while Merida and Cannondale didn't even bother and their riders (Caruso and Bettiol) have to ride their normal team-coloured bikes. I'd be totally pissed off if I had to ride the Olympics race on my standard, boring team bike..

Last edited:
SIlence before the storm, low profile, now at last a few words before the race:

"How did I come out of the Tour? The sensations were good but there were no conditions to make a classification. When I retired I wasn't tired. I thought about the national team. Each one of us can be a leader. In a race like this you have to be very good on that single day. I did everything I could to be so. And experience is decisive. As well as unity. Clarified with Ciccone after the Nationals? Race episode. Born and finished there. Nothing else."

"If I sign up early for a medal? The podium matters. I hear people say that in cycling it's a less important title but ask Van Avermaet (gold in Rio 2016, ed) what it meant to him. More than a World Championship? It has a different value. The Olympics has something more. To get to play my cards, everything has to be perfect, otherwise I'll be on hand. Who do we have to beat? Pogacar, Van Aert, Evanepoel. But at the end of the day I think like Sagan, how do you know beforehand? Maybe a young man doesn't get a good night's rest the night before and doesn't get it right in the race. Without naming names, I've seen examples."

"How did I come out of the Tour? The sensations were good but there were no conditions to make a classification. When I retired I wasn't tired. I thought about the national team. Each one of us can be a leader. In a race like this you have to be very good on that single day. I did everything I could to be so. And experience is decisive. As well as unity. Clarified with Ciccone after the Nationals? Race episode. Born and finished there. Nothing else."

"If I sign up early for a medal? The podium matters. I hear people say that in cycling it's a less important title but ask Van Avermaet (gold in Rio 2016, ed) what it meant to him. More than a World Championship? It has a different value. The Olympics has something more. To get to play my cards, everything has to be perfect, otherwise I'll be on hand. Who do we have to beat? Pogacar, Van Aert, Evanepoel. But at the end of the day I think like Sagan, how do you know beforehand? Maybe a young man doesn't get a good night's rest the night before and doesn't get it right in the race. Without naming names, I've seen examples."
The Olympics will face it's most significant test tomorrow

Are they worthy of Vincenzo Nibali?

The silence has moved over to the Olympic RR thread: https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threa...-tokyo-mens-road-race-234k.37143/post-2602601

TRENDING THREADS