• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

May 19, 2011
Visit site
evans is pretty old and rumor is Kruzinger is leaving ASTANA the end of the season, both BMC and ASTANA needs young GT rider, if BMC pays TGVG 2 M a year, i think it is proper to pay Nibali 2.5M
spalco said:
If he's going with BMC he certainly won't ride the Tour de France for the next couple years.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I would love to see him go to BMC, but with all the big name riders already on that squad I doubt he would go there. Not enough opportunity, he would have to compete against Gilbert and Evans for lead in the classics, and in grand tours he would only be able to go for the win in the giro and vuelta.

Astana would be the wise choice, in grand tours they don't have anyone that can seriously contend for GC, but they have plenty of guys who could support him in his GC hopes.

El Pistolero said:
I don't see Evans holding it out much longer to be honest.

Agreed, will be interested to see how he goes this Summer.

Having spent your whole career going for the big one, nearly achieving it and missing, probably thinking the moment had passed and then achieving it very late on, I wouldn't be surprised if he struggled to motivate himself now.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
This will make things very easy for me, you see, I was wondering whether Nibali was a likeable rider or not. Now, if he goes to BMC, clearly he isn't a cool rider and nobody should support him. If he goes to Astana on the other hand, chances are he'll turn out to be a very cool rider, very likeable, and I'll cheer for him.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
May 19, 2011
Visit site
Not necessarily he can only race Giro and Vuelta? This summer we will have a direct comparison between him and Evans in the tour:D

Plus winning Giro seems always a big objective for Nibali, before he can achieve that I think he is OK with not riding Tour

Afrank said:
I would love to see him go to BMC (because it is one of my favorite teams), but with all the big name riders already on that squad I doubt he would go there. Not enough opportunity, he would have to compete against Gilbert and Evans for lead in the classics, and in grand tours he would only be able to go for the win in the giro and vuelta.

Astana would be the wise choice, in grand tours they don't have anyone that can seriously contend for GC, but they have plenty of guys who could support him in his GC hopes.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
saxo no money, ogre probably want a Aussie GT rider maybe evans retirement team
killswitch said:
Between Astana and BMC - Astana will have better support - Kiserlovski, Masciarelli (where is he), Tiralongo, etc., Kreuziger probably will be in OPQS next year (LL is 38?).

OGRE, Saxo also need a GC contender (with points).

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Not necessarily he can only race Giro and Vuelta? This summer we will have a direct comparison between him and Evans in the tour:D

Plus winning Giro seems always a big objective for Nibali, before he can achieve that I think he is OK with not riding Tour

Until Evans retires or leaves the team (which I doubt he will do) he will probably be the leader at the tour meaning Nibali would have to foucus on the Giro or Vuelta. Nothing wrong with foucusing on the giro or vuelta but if Nibali did want to win the tour, and if that was a goal of his, he would have to compete with Evans for leadership.

Afrank said:
Until Evans retires or leaves the team (which I doubt he will do) he will probably be the leader at the tour meaning Nibali would have to foucus on the Giro or Vuelta. Nothing wrong with foucusing on the giro or vuelta but if Nibali did want to win the tour, and if that was a goal of his, he would have to compete with Evans for leadership.

why would evans remain the team leader for the tour even after he starts his decline as a rider? that doesn't make any sense

i hope he doesn't go to BMC tho.

Mellow Velo said:
That money is the root of all evil.
Nibali at Buy More Cyclists would be the pits.
I agree - he won't find a better family atmos' elsewhere - and big brother Basso is moving over - and all the young ragazzi would be at his service at Liquigas. What's a few MEuro more really worth.

He could become a squalo out of water.
mako-shark-france-jan2012_a.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Sad if he goes to BMC or Astana.

Should go to another team that actually needs a GC rider or just a high quality rider.

If BMC, does it mean Evans to GreenEDGE?

If Astana, does it mean Vino finally retire?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
both those two teams need GT riders!!!
ElChingon said:
Sad if he goes to BMC or Astana.

Should go to another team that actually needs a GC rider or just a high quality rider.

If BMC, does it mean Evans to GreenEDGE?

If Astana, does it mean Vino finally retire?

TRENDING THREADS