• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Shame he leaves liquigas IMO.

Take money out of the equation, i think Liquigas is the best place for him, if they just let him pick his schedule. If his schedule depends on Basso, he should go elsewhere.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
karlboss said:
Take money out of the equation, i think Liquigas is the best place for him, if they just let him pick his schedule. If his schedule depends on Basso, he should go elsewhere.

Agree with this, Sagan presents a leadership problem as does Basso, but Liquigas I think would be the best if not one of the best teams to support him.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I think it would be a smarter move for him to go astana TBH.
But he might still go to BMC.
All that too many chiefs, too little indians is bull.
In every race they have figured out who are the domestiques and leaders.
Nibali would be way more comfortable in astana, but BMC also has no lack of italians.

Eyeballs Out said:
I wonder who Liquigas will replace Nibali with ? (assuming they've got the money to spend that they were offering him).

Betancur ? Pozzovivo ? Taaramae ?

The pay rise Nibali isn't receiving is going to Sagan. With Liquigas unlikely to continue it makes sense to slim down the wages.

The team will now build itself around Sagan. Amadio might be able to squeeze two or three more solid GTs out of Basso, Capecchi may be able to lead (at least in shorter races). Viviani, Moser and Oss will get plenty of results also. He will continue to sign young talent like Agostini who may turn out to be their next GT leader, or perhaps look to sign a second tier leader who still has some room for improvement.

I think Betancur would be a nice fit.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
TourOfSardinia said:
I agree - he won't find a better family atmos' elsewhere - and big brother Basso is moving over - and all the young ragazzi would be at his service at Liquigas. What's a few MEuro more really worth.

He could become a squalo out of water.
mako-shark-france-jan2012_a.jpg

While it's true that Basso will be on his way soon enough, you forget that he's not the only conflict on the team:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUDXKY1Np2M

With Basso gone, Sagan and Nibali wouldn't conflict in stage races much, but the classics present an issue. Sagan will be better in races like FW and LBL in the coming years, and I don't think Nibali would be willing to cede or share leadership with him at all for those. Not to mention they just seem to create conflict where there doesn't really need to be any.

I don't know, I really like Nibali at Liquigas and Liquigas will really need to find another GT talent with Nibali and Basso both on the way out or on the decline. On the other hand, the awesomeness that is Peter Sagan should have no problem keeping the team alive and kicking while they do find their next GC threat...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
The pay rise Nibali isn't receiving is going to Sagan. With Liquigas unlikely to continue it makes sense to slim down the wages.

The team will now build itself around Sagan. Amadio might be able to squeeze two or three more solid GTs out of Basso, Capecchi may be able to lead (at least in shorter races). Viviani, Moser and Oss will get plenty of results also. He will continue to sign young talent like Agostini who may turn out to be their next GT leader, or perhaps look to sign a second tier leader who still has some room for improvement.

Good post. Liqui have a great classics team lead by Sagan, no pressing need for a Nibali replacement there, they still have Basso for the GTs again no pressing need for a replacement. It will be save money and development I'd expect. I think a focus on Italians though.

Ferminal said:

this!

Is always "cheaper" to nurture youngster than "paying" high salaries to good riders--just ask Riis :D

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
There's been speculation in the press for at least the past 12 - 18 months about the possibility of Nibali going to Astana.
It's a shame that he's going to go where the pay cheque is the biggest, but at the end of the day, athletes have a shorter career than most so I guess he's safe guarding his future.

Plus more money to keep Sagan(s) for a long term deal.

Money is the root of all evil, specially in sport!

I would like for Nibali to just go to a team that can pay him what he is worth. Both teams seem to appreciate his talent/ have need of a young GT rider.

However if Kreuziger goes well at the Giro, Astana should try keep him him ( unless if he wants to move ). It would also be bad for Inlinsky who would have to ride for Nibali at LBL.

BMC could realistically sign him as the replacement to Cadel. He puts in good training and competes all year round. TJVG might also be able to help until he turns 27. Nibali would not be able to lead at the TDF next year probably.

I have to say i think he would look awesome in both kits.

BMC would double their offer if he becomes WC.

royalpig180 said:
With Basso gone, Sagan and Nibali wouldn't conflict in stage races much, but the classics present an issue. Sagan will be better in races like FW and LBL in the coming years, and I don't think Nibali would be willing to cede or share leadership with him at all for those.
On the other hand, the awesomeness that is Peter Sagan should have no problem keeping the team alive and kicking while they do find their next GC threat...

True- Sagan would be a great leader. Moser would also continue to develop, Oss and Viviani too. Eros could win a short stage race a year and Basso could continue going well at the Giro for another year.

I think Sagan would be better at AGR than LBL.

Wasn't Sagan goin to OPQS? or was this wishfull thinking.

Nibali shoud stay where he is, the Liquigas jersey fits him like a glove.

If he wants to leave please not at BMC, he will suck big at BMC.

So Astana then which of course would opset Kreuziger and Kiserlovski not they left Liquigas to have more playground themselves...

well well the season is only at 1/3 or so and the transfer season starts already.

As long as no contract has been signed (that we know of) can only speculate. Perhaps LQ is publicly putting pressure on Nibali to sign, forcing him to make a quick decision (so that LQ can find a new sponsor faster, with Basso & Sagan already tied down) and making him look like he's only interested in a bigger paycheck.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
in italy there are rumours that geox would like to come back to cycling and in that case they will be the main sponsor for amadio, taking the place of liquigas.
that is the only hope to keep nibali.

in technical standpoint, best place for nibali will be liqui,. basso is fading, the team is strong for GTs and he will stay in italy with people that know him very well and nurtured him in the right way.
second best choice probably is astana. obviously best choice for the money.

betancur probably has already signed for amadio for next year...

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
So how desperate are Ag2r for points? Their cheque book isn't the smallest in sport by a long way and they can't ride their way out of oblivion.

Seriously, Nibbles needs to stay in lime green, it's part of the natural order of the universe. Nibali leaving Liquigas would be like Valverde riding for Radioshack.

TRENDING THREADS