• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vinokourov 2010

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Agreed. Vino is one of the great stage race animators. I look forward to watching him play the role of the renegade attacker as Contador bides his time to attack on the steepest grades.

Their combined styles should make for a diffucult Tour for the other favorites.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Vino has shown he is in pretty good form early on in the season, He may even have a good result in one of the Northern Classics. For a pretty long time during the first stage of the Critérium International Vino was at the front in the chase group up the climb to Col de l'Ospedale, also His leadership is motivation for the other Kazakhs in the team, i.e. Maxim Iglinski and Dmitriy Fofonov. It's good to see him back, He really is an explosive rider, and I'm sure Alberto will appreciate his aggressiveness in the peloton and his climbing skills for the mountain stages, that is if the ASO allow him to start the Tour.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
CiclismoDeCalifornia said:
Vino has shown he is in pretty good form early on in the season, He may even have a good result in one of the Northern Classics. For a pretty long time during the first stage of the Critérium International Vino was at the front in the chase group up the climb to Col de l'Ospedale, also His leadership is motivation for the other Kazakhs in the team, i.e. Maxim Iglinski and Dmitriy Fofonov. It's good to see him back, He really is an explosive rider, and I'm sure Alberto will appreciate his aggressiveness in the peloton and his climbing skills for the mountain stages, that is if the ASO allow him to start the Tour.

I don't see why the ASO would not allow Vino to race the Tour, he is racing CI which is an ASO race...

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
When will these braindead balloons realise that the reason Vino, Valverde, Ricco etc were able to achieve the so called feats for which they are lionised is that they were pumped full of pharmaceuticals?

If it looks too good to be true, It probably isn't!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
jpowell said:
When will these braindead balloons realise that the reason Vino, Valverde, Ricco etc were able to achieve the so called feats for which they are lionised is that they were pumped full of pharmaceuticals?

It's ok, your hero is clean.
Just a perspective shift, some just believe that everyone is doped and so the playing field is somewhat level and hence these guys are still exciting riders to watch. Think of the worlds last year, vino was a shadow of his former self yet he still attacked.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
jpowell said:

Wow, mind is blown, thanks for making that clear. I never realized that these guys did doping. That changes everything. How could I have been so blind?!

May 5, 2009
Visit site
jpowell said:

Everybody's full, the entire peloton (including the cancer of cycling LA), so this levels the playfield more or less. Therefore let's focus on cycling again and don't make a doping thread out of every thread.

I wonder whether Vino will obey to the team strategy at the Tour de France. Considering that he will probably be AC's most important domestique. Let's hope so, then we could have great and thrilling races in front of us.

Was a pity that AC didn't realise in the CI yesterday that his allergy will not allow him to win. Would have been interesting to see Vino use his energy to fight for the stage win instead of leading the peloton out in the headwind.

What I have always liked about Vino when he was a GC contender is that he did never run with the calculator. He kept on fighting and never gave up and often attacked, thereby risking everything. I hate today's cycling strategies, where they often only attack in the last few km's of the final climb.

Vive le Cyclisme!

la.margna said:

I wonder whether Vino will obey to the team strategy at the Tour de France. Considering that he will probably be AC's most important domestique. Let's hope so, then we could have great and thrilling races in front of us....

This paragraph really caught my attention. Its Vino's team. Does anyone know the dynamics between Vino and Martinelli? Very curious about this. I think many had been focused on the AC/AV dynamics but if Vino outranks Martinelli - this could get interesting. Wonder if Martinelli has something in his contract about him being the boss while out on the road.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Bicicleta said:
This paragraph really caught my attention. Its Vino's team. Does anyone know the dynamics between Vino and Martinelli? Very curious about this. I think many had been focused on the AC/AV dynamics but if Vino outranks Martinelli - this could get interesting. Wonder if Martinelli has something in his contract about him being the boss while out on the road.

Surely you'd think Vino wants his team rider to win the Tour? And I'm not talking about Team GC here... :cool:

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Once a doper always a doper

He should have been banned for life to make way for someone clean in the peleton... still maybe some of the clean riders can make life unpleasant for him - he and his ilk are destroying the sport.

Contralamontre said:
He should have been banned for life to make way for someone clean in the peleton... still maybe some of the clean riders can make life unpleasant for him - he and his ilk are destroying the sport.

care-o-meter.jpg

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
"Vinokourov, Kashechkin and Ricco fan, and i am proud of it!" yeah right

You obviously just dont get it...all 3 are arrogant cheating fraudsters who cheated money from sponsers, other riders and all involved in the sport.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Contralamontre said:
You obviously just dont get it...all 3 are arrogant cheating fraudsters who cheated money from sponsers, other riders and all involved in the sport.
The same things that make you so angry have not been changed at all. The UCI and it's punishment structure are still in place. Vinokourov has shown good form for many of his 10 years as a pro. He has also shown that riding and knowing how to prepare is the biggest part of returning to his place at the table of top pros after being punished. He spends little time getting interviewed and more time concentrating at what made him recognized..racing. People like you need to get angry from the top down not the bottom up, Ricco,Vino and others are playing by the rules that are in place. If it was a capital offense(banned for life,20 years ect) they would have a different approach to their work.McQ and the UCI would change things if your opinion was the one they cared about

Contralamontre said:

Another lifetime ban on first time caught cheaters! Have you stopped to think about how, if combined with effective testing, this would kill the sport for a long, long time. Considering how many of the top pros dope in one way or another, this would just kill it. Lifetime banning for first offences would not be effective, just like 2 year bans have not really been too effective. It would just up the stakes. Once you win enough, you are too big to be caught.

Do you really think that all of the little fish the've been catching are the only ones doping, but folks like Contradope and Wiggodope are not taking a thing??

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
As long as he keeps riding in front, I don't really care.
It's still good to have him back.

For sure. Looked super strong last weekend. I hope he gets some results. Alberto has to be feeling really good too. He's got a domestique for the TDF who's equal to or better than a Leiphiemer or Horner.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i find it interesting that vono's weight is currently mentioned at 71 kg whilst during his victorious vuelta it was 68.5 kg.

but looking at some pics, he's got hollow cheeks and gaunt appearance. dunno.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
karlboss said:
It's ok, your hero is clean.
Just a perspective shift, some just believe that everyone is doped and so the playing field is somewhat level and hence these guys are still exciting riders to watch. Think of the worlds last year, vino was a shadow of his former self yet he still attacked.

Sorry to 'dope' this thread but the field is not level. Economics influences who can pay for what. Some guys just EPO and testosterone patch it. Others can get/pay for HGH, autologous blood doping, storing the blood...

So I agree the pack is full, but the degrees of cheating are different for one day racers, bottle carriers and GC contenders.

Would love to see Jan, AC, AV and Lance slamming each other too, but those days are long gone.

NW

python said:
I find it interesting that Vino's weight is currently mentioned at 71 kg whilst during his victorious Vuelta it was 68.5 kg.

But looking at some pics, he's got hollow cheeks and gaunt appearance. Dunno.

He's never been a stick figure, even in his younger years. A solid build, but not too diesel.

If he's doing this amount of training, I see him doing something in the Ardennes Classics. That would be spectacular.

Those are his types of races.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
He's never been a stick figure, even in his younger years. A solid build, but not too diesel.

If he's doing this amount of training, I see him doing something in the Ardennes Classics. That would be spectacular.

Those are his types of races.

He's listed for Giro del Trentino, which makes sense since he has Giro ambitions, so La Fleche Wallone is out. AstanaFans is in close contact with him, and they don't have him down for Amstel Gold. It looks like Vino, Maxim Iglinsky and Contador could have a bit of fun at Liege Bastogne Liege.

It could just be a couple of more pounds of muscle than before, especially since he had time away.

AstanaFans.com does have a Vino 4 Ever section with new photos and updates every day or two.

TRENDING THREADS