• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vintage parts/bikes still in use

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
1983 Gios Aerodynamic - I've had it for 4 years, picked it up for £100 on ebay - the seller, a shop, didn't know it's worth. I rode it with a fixed wheel for the last few years but realised it rode just too nice and was too good to just leave it with the other bikes - it's off at the moment for a respray and looking forward to spending the next few months sourcing and polishing suitable parts. I'll probably look to ride in a few spring classic sportives on it too - Flanders in April looks appealling

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
no photos handy at the moment, but...

a 1990 steel framed Desmarais (small local frame builder in Quebec) with 1987 Campy C-Record w/ Simplex downtube shifters, toe clips and straps.

I haven't ridden it in quite some time, the rear derailleur has seen better days after a couple of seasons of hard training, racing, and being mangled in a couple of crashes.

I love that gruppo!

I will probably strip the parts off the frame and display them in all their glory in my shop/bike room. the frame is a throw away as it wasn't that great to begin with with some funky geometry (Bob Desmarais had some strange ideas about frame building).

Also still have my first TT Pinarello Prologo funny bike with an Ayala disc wheel, both a graduation present from high school from my parents. It is hanging from the wall in my shop. I still ride it a couple of times per year. I showed up for a TT last summer with it and the looks I got from the sea of Cervelo owners was worth it!

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
ethnik said:
no photos handy at the moment, but...

a 1990 steel framed Desmarais (small local frame builder in Quebec) with 1987 Campy C-Record w/ Simplex downtube shifters, toe clips and straps.

I haven't ridden it in quite some time, the rear derailleur has seen better days after a couple of seasons of hard training, racing, and being mangled in a couple of crashes.

I love that gruppo!

I will probably strip the parts off the frame and display them in all their glory in my shop/bike room. the frame is a throw away as it wasn't that great to begin with with some funky geometry (Bob Desmarais had some strange ideas about frame building).

Also still have my first TT Pinarello Prologo funny bike with an Ayala disc wheel, both a graduation present from high school from my parents. It is hanging from the wall in my shop. I still ride it a couple of times per year. I showed up for a TT last summer with it and the looks I got from the sea of Cervelo owners was worth it!

buzzzzzzz... Title of the thread holds the key element 'Vintage parts/bikes still in use', not 'hanging on the wall'. I wanted to see what old stuff people are riding on a regular basis, which in turn gives a good indicator of how good some parts were built, or how well they're taken care of, but still ridden.

I have no doubt there is a load of cool vintage out there amongst our members, but let's keep this thread for the stuff that sees regular use.;)

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Bustedknuckle said:
When I go down to 'posting rules' I see that I cannot post attachments so how do I post a pic of my 1888 Campagnolo/Delta gruppo on me H20Ford?

eh? :confused:

If you got a pic, post it. 1888 huh, That's old! :D

Ok, you threw me for a loop with the 'posting rules' comment. If you're trying to figure out how to attach a pic, click on the postcard looking button in the message formatting pane. A popup will ask you to enter the http link to your photo, which should originate in an online photo album like flickr, photobucket, picasa, etc. Make sure you use a direct http link, NOT embed code.

Waterford

1988 C-Record Delta

if74g5.jpg

Yahoo, it worked!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
1992 Specialized Allez Epic - one of the first carbon frames, uses aluminum lugs with carbon tubes. Shimano 105 7 speed gruppo and the original white Look pedals. I had hung it up for about 12 years (along with all my riding) but am now getting back out there 3-4 days per week and have put 1200 miles on it since July. This bike just has a silky smooth ride.

IMAG0009.jpg

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Perfect thread. I use mostly vintage stuff. My Franklin Frames made Bradley frame hosts mostly vintage stuff. The frame itself is from 2000 or so. The wheels are Phil Wood FW hubs, Sachs FW. The Crank is a TA Zephyr 185mm 26/44/48. The derailleurs are a then current 105 double front, vintage XT rear which I found in a Pittsburgh shop in '99. Suntour Thumbshifters ,the Power ratchet ones from the early 80's. I've got 3 sets of those!

The headset is the very cool American Classic Trilock.

p6200344-1.jpg

The seatpost is one of my vintage Campy NR's from the mid 80's . About 10 years ago I got some replacement allen head bolts for these from Diablo Cycle(now defunct) to replace the original 13mm hex.

Suntour XC Pro canti's.

p6200343.jpg

I'm also building up a Rivendell Bombadil with more vintage stuff, including some vintage F & R Shimano Deore MT-60 derailleurs. I'll likely be using my vintage Sachs FW's too... and of course the SunTour thumbshifters. Brakes will be vintage Deore Canti's from the early 80's.

I also still have my '83 Stumpjumper Sport running too. No pics.