• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vintage parts/bikes still in use

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
List your vintage parts/bikes here that still get ridden regularly. The 3 parameters are:

1. At least 10 years old
2. No longer in production
3. Currently in use.

1991 Campagnolo Olympus cantilever brakes on my Surly Cross Check which get heavy use, especially this time of year. The word was that these had crappy stopping power, but I monkeyed around with them enough to get 'em nice and dialed. Same set up for the last 10 years this season.

L1020317.JPG

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Shimano Sante 7-Speed DT Shifters
Shimano 105 7-Speed Front Derailleur

Both are on my old Giant bad weather/trainer bike. The rear derailleur died over a year ago so I threw on a Shimano Ulterga 6600 10-speed derailleur that I had just collecting dust and it shifts flawlessly. The hubs are on their last leg and I have been thinking about getting a new set of wheels and converting it to 9 or 10 speed.

Still ride on occasion a 1987 Colnago SL frame with Dura Ace 7 speed. Original freewheel (11-21), hubs on 36 hole Ambrosio Montreal Tubulars and a second set of wheels with Ambrosio Elite Clinchers. Original Super Turbo saddle. Only thing changed is the chain, small chain ring and the peddals. Still runs great. Oh yea, I replaced the crappy dura-ace head set when the bike was new with a Campy Super Record. Love that bike...it was my first "high end" bike when I was racing...I picked it up as a lasts years hand me down from a senior when I joined my first team as a junior in 1988. It has at least at least 100000km on it. Used to keep it in my bedroom and stare at it constantly. Still would if the wife would let me..;)

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
1994 Masi Team 3V, forest green, contract build by Mondonico. Made with Columbus Nivachrome with the same Masi designed and pantographed internal lugs. Some of the other parts that qualify: 1996 Chorus 9sp rear der, 97 ITM Goccia stem, 97 ITM Pro 260 bars. My gravel road racer. The old school 1" quill stem absorbs rough roads much better than threadless.

L1020009.JPG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all for sharing the beautiful photos of classic gear. I am inspired to rebuild my 1994 Jimmy Sanders (a Serotta understudy) with the old 1994 Dura Ace that is in the box of old parts.

It weighed 25 lbs. but rode like a dream, climbed like a pig, descended like an anvil, and cornered on rails.

Steel is real!!!

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
80's Neon

Check out the roller-cams and steel fork
my first and only Mountain Bike - 87 C-Dale:

photo-27-1.jpg

24inch Rear Wheel..29ers are for wussies:

photo-25-1.jpg

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Original Year Ksyriums, Final Year RB-1

First year Ksyriums...true as they were way back when:
000_0296-1.jpg

My most comfortable Road Bici...final year (1995) RB-1 frame:
000_0294-1.jpg

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
My old Rossin crit bike I still race every now and then in masters events. From 1984 with Campagnolo Super record. AHH the ease of simple downtube shifters.

Black Dog said:
Still ride on occasion a 1987 Colnago SL frame with Dura Ace 7 speed. Original freewheel (11-21), hubs on 36 hole Ambrosio Montreal Tubulars and a second set of wheels with Ambrosio Elite Clinchers. Original Super Turbo saddle. Only thing changed is the chain, small chain ring and the peddals. Still runs great. Oh yea, I replaced the crappy dura-ace head set when the bike was new with a Campy Super Record. Love that bike...it was my first "high end" bike when I was racing...I picked it up as a lasts years hand me down from a senior when I joined my first team as a junior in 1988. It has at least at least 100000km on it. Used to keep it in my bedroom and stare at it constantly. Still would if the wife would let me..;)

Black Dog, you MUST post a photo of such a magnificent sounding specimen!!! Old school Colnago frames are the coolest.

steelciocc

Hey Repost the images using our insert image feature, instead of photobuckets embed code, use the direct link.
RDV
---------------------------

Hmmmm. What am I doing wrong? I don't know, but I'm making a mess of it. Delete this and start fresh using the insert image button. Those tags were not there before. RDV4ROUBAIX

RDV,

Not excatly sure on either. The Black frame is Deda Zero Uno and I believe it's a mid 90's frame. I bought it NOS from ZAR in 2004.

The smoke frame is from the late 80's and is built with Chorus 10 with indexed downtube shifters. It would fit in perfectly in 1988.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
steelciocc said:
RDV,

Not excatly sure on either. The Black frame is Deda Zero Uno and I believe it's a mid 90's frame. I bought it NOS from ZAR in 2004.

The smoke frame is from the late 80's and is running Campy 10 with indexed downtube shifters. It would fit in perfectly in 1988.

Man, I've got a stack of catalogs from ZAR Intl and others spanning from the mid 90's to about 04. When I find them I'll have a scanning session and start a post dedicated to Italian steel.

Mar 16, 2009
www.violetcrown.org
Still on occasion trot out a 63 cm 1978 Colnago Super with a mixture of Nuovo Record and Super Record components (the "Super Record Appearance" gruppo). Shimano Ultra-7 freewheel (13-19) and chain, 36-hole Super Champion tubular rims laced to Record LF hubs with DT 2.0 stainless spokes and sporting either Continental cotton or Clement Paris-Roubaix tubs. Selle San Marco Concor saddle. Cinelli 1A stem (130 mm), 66-44 bars. My seat bag is a zippered cash pouch from Arlington (Texas) State Bank, circa 1976, held in place with an ancient Christophe toe strap. Bike is mat black with yellow transfers, yellow Benotto cello bar tape. Try to get a good pick and upload soon.

A

Anonymous

i must rebuild the old peugot (approx 1988) one day.. if i can find some brakes and a cheap groupset.. the rest is easy..

one day.. will have a look at the frame sometime and see what condition its in..

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Man, I've got a stack of catalogs from ZAR Intl and others spanning from the mid 90's to about 04. When I find them I'll have a scanning session and start a post dedicated to Italian steel.

Sweet:D:D:D

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Early 1990's vintage (maybe 91/92) DeBernardi SL, Early Campy Chorus (first Ergo) 7 speed (freewheels!), flipped back to downtube shifters just because it looks better, Turbo saddle, ITM bars/stem, Campy Gamma rims on older American Classic hubs, Conti tires, Campy crankset, bottom bracket, Chorus brakes Look pedals. Of course the race wheels were tubulars, fitted with Sprinter 250s (I think they're hanging in the garage somewhere)

Yes, ZAR international through Tom's Atlantic Cyclery in Atlantic Highlands NJ. Old warhorse from USCF Cat 4 crits in NJ, now ridden just because I can up here in NH. Yes, it's got scars, but still fits like a glove.

Also had a Colnago outfitted with full SunTour Superbe Pro as the alternative, but that was gotten rid of long ago. Stupid thing to do.

Actually just came back from a lunchtime ride on it 45 minutes ago or so.

TRENDING THREADS