• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Voeckler

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Voeckler#Early_years

Yellow in 2004 was because of a lucky break, but holding on for 18th overall is impressive. And maybe more indicative of doping than anything he has done the past couple years. But he can obviously recover from day to day after 2 weeks of racing.

Whatever he's on I hope he keeps at it. He makes every race more exciting. There aren't many riders out there who put it all out there.

patrick767 said:
Hrotha, 23rd in the Giro is a far cry from 4th in the TdF. Anyway, I'm not claiming that Voeckler is doping for sure. I don't know. I do find his apparently sudden excellence in climbing in the 2011 TdF odd, so I'm looking for earlier signs he could do it.
Oh, I don't buy his 2011 performance (or Europcar's) for a second. I was using the 2010 Giro as a way to explain why today's performance wasn't extraordinary for him, in my opinion. Of course, after 2011 it's hard to think of him as clean in either 2010 or 2012.

he also got 4 minutes in a breakaway in 2011, without that he probably would've been 20th again

i see nothing different about Europcars performance last year vs. this year. the peloton rode the mountain stages very slowly last year, especially the climbs in the middle of the stage. there was a much, much bigger group going to the base of Luz Ardiden than there was La Toussuire this year. and when they got to the final mountain it was just him and Rolland, who is right there again this year with the GC group most of the time, and comfortably inside the Top 10 in GC.

he would never have gotten to the alps in yellow last year if this current Sky team was around then. that's the real difference between this year and last.

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
It struck my family yesterday that Tommy may be on the Tourettes spectrum, with his faces, & difficulties at interpersonal interaction.

Saying this someone with a child with this: Now I feel irrationally protective of him :D

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Stage: 16, 2012 TdF
Elevation gain: 3,500m
Distance: 197km
KOM points: lots 2xHC, 2x1st cat
Finishing: solo
Average speed: 35km/hr

Sprinting uphill in stage 17 like you didn't ride the day before: priceless.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
gearmasher said:
I agree. If there is anyone I want to believe is clean, it is Voeckler. Hands down the most exciting rider in the peleton. Racing the way it should be...old school to the max.

Gotta agree with this, dope or no dope he provides a lotta entertainment and a great billboard for his sponsors, and that folks is what pro sport, essentially, is ;)

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
frenchfry said:
I would rather watch a dirty Voeckler than a dirty Wiggins any day.

And this is why there will always be doping!

We all love cavalier escapes, rides 'al la Jens' and these depend on doping to a greater or lesser degree.

Also why not treat all dopers the same? Either doping is acceptable or it isn't. Saying 'I like x so will tolerate his doping' (sometimes manifested as 'all Brits are clean, dirty doping foreigners cheat') just discredits the poster.

taiwan said:
What is it about Voeckler that some people dislike so strongly? He has some ardent haters.

He has more class than them and that stings.

Anyway, I think the knee injury was fake. He didn't want to go for GC again, to in the end finish 5th-10th without chance of stage win, so he just decided to lose time in the first week to get freedom.

Doping, I don't know. He's been on the rise a few years now. 2011 might be suspicious, this year not so much.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Arnout said:
He has more class than them and that stings.

Anyway, I think the knee injury was fake. He didn't want to go for GC again, to in the end finish 5th-10th without chance of stage win, so he just decided to lose time in the first week to get freedom.

Doping, I don't know. He's been on the rise a few years now. 2011 might be suspicious, this year not so much.

Seems someone disagrees:
http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/article...aison-le-poison-agit-encore_1736926_3242.html

Thanks to Adamastor for providing the link

May 26, 2010
Visit site
a première tue plus qu'elle ne blesse. Elle concerne le chouchou, Thomas Voeckler qui, comme son clone, le Virenque des grandes années Festina, braque le maillot à pois de meilleur grimpeur et le cœur des Français. Saint Thomas, de son plein gré, à l'insu de ses mollets presque décharnés au point où ils se confondent avec ses tibias, est capable, comme Richard naguère, de faire des raids en montagne en maintenant sur quatre cols un régime moteur à "375-390" watts, sans faiblir, en accélérant quand il le souhaite. Il franchit en tête l'Aubisque, le Tourmalet, Aspin, Peyresoudre en 5 h 32 min 2 s en concluant victorieusement, frais comme un gardon, les 197 km à 35,59 km/h de moyenne.

google's offering;

he first kills more than it hurts. It is about the pet, Thomas Voeckler who, like his clone, Virenque of Festina great years, turns the polka dot jersey of best climber and the heart of the French. St. Thomas, voluntarily, without the knowledge of her calves almost emaciated to the point where they merge with his shins, is capable, like Richard once, to make raids on four mountain passes maintaining an engine speed "375-390 "watts, unabated, speeding when he wants. He crossed the top Aubisque, Tourmalet, Aspin, Peyresoudre in 5 h 32 min 2 s, concluding triumphantly, fresh as a roach, the 197 km to 35.59 km / h average.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
pffff.....amazing. Is it being discussed somewhere already?

En 2011, après seize années de curée aux produits lourds, nous nous réjouissions enfin, dans ces colonnes, de l'absence de coureurs à plus de 410 watts de moyenne sur les derniers cols des étapes de haute montagne : le seuil de détection du poison. Las ! Ils sont à nouveau quatre cette année à avoir franchi cette barre : Wiggins, Froome, Nibali et Van den Broecke, avec 415 watts pour les trois premiers du classement et 410 watts pour le quatrième.

about Froome:
S'il ne bride plus son moteur pour attendre son leader, il peut rentrer dans la caste des recordmen du monde des meilleurs "performers" de tous les temps : Pantani, Armstrong, Contador.

and the guy is funny too. full of irony that article.

La troisième comparaison, qui fait plus sourire qu'elle ne surprend
La dernière comparaison qui nous excite plus qu'elle ne nous bluffe.
Vivement 2013 et le come-back de Contador et sa viande contaminée !

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
taiwan said:
What is it about Voeckler that some people dislike so strongly? He has some ardent haters.

You mean spectators? I heard he isn't liked in the peloton because of the way he behalves in a race (the constant show, silly riding, ... basically going into the general flow of cycling rules). They do got respect for his achievements though.
Anyway that's what I heard on tele from some (former) pro's, as a spectator I couldn't care less, I like watching him race :)

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
wannab said:
You mean spectators? I heard he isn't liked in the peloton because of the way he behalves in a race (the constant show, silly riding, ... basically going into the general flow of cycling rules). They do got respect for his achievements though.
Anyway that's what I heard on tele from some (former) pro's, as a spectator I couldn't care less, I like watching him race :)

I suppose I meant people on the forum. In race threads you get some people saying along the lines of 'anyone but Voeckler', 'I hate that guy' etc. Wasn't sure why.

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
google's offering;

The comparison of Tommy V and Virenque is apt. Both doped to the gills, both massively after attention but somehow fun to watch. A love/hate thing for me.

At least Voeckler doesn't have the total prettiness that, pre-'98, led to me willingly turning a blind eye to the obvious with Richard. I can be that shallow. :rolleyes:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
fluffkitten said:
The comparison of Tommy V and Virenque is apt. Both doped to the gills, both massively after attention but somehow fun to watch. A love/hate thing for me.

At least Voeckler doesn't have the total prettiness that, pre-'98, led to me willingly turning a blind eye to the obvious with Richard. I can be that shallow. :rolleyes:

Voeckler is liked by the French where as Virenque wasn't after 98 and his lying.

TRENDING THREADS