• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (2.1) February 3-7

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Ion makes more sense than Castro if they have to do both races. I don't see what would be wrong with him as a pick for the RR as well as he would be an ideal domestique for the type of course. Luísle would leave them with a pretty ageing squad as well, I don't see that he offers an appreciable upgrade over Ion on the course at this point in his career.
I see Sanchez as a way better TTer and he is not a Movistar rider which is also a pro.

LaFlorecita said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Ion makes more sense than Castro if they have to do both races. I don't see what would be wrong with him as a pick for the RR as well as he would be an ideal domestique for the type of course. Luísle would leave them with a pretty ageing squad as well, I don't see that he offers an appreciable upgrade over Ion on the course at this point in his career.
I see Sanchez as a way better TTer and he is not a Movistar rider which is also a pro.
Ion vs. LuLu in time trials is 9-9 career-long; excluding TTTs it's 8-7 in favour of Ion.

Joking aside, I feel very happy for Stijn. This is the only way he can win a race and obviously with team duties does not get this opportunity very often. And of course, the bag-gate.
CanExHMXIAEqAYN.jpg

Actually, getting angry about the bag entangled in your chain stay might gave him an extra boost, which is all he needed to win.
CanGuGPUAAAcV_-.jpg

pics from https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60

On the other hand, another tactical fail from LottoNL, no? I did not see them pullling at all. I know they had young team in this race but leaving all work to Cofidis just did not work.

Libertine Seguros said:
LaFlorecita said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Ion vs. LuLu in time trials is 9-9 career-long; excluding TTTs it's 8-7 in favour of Ion.
In a very long ITT I would put my money on Sanchez. See for example the Giro this year.

Re:

jens_attacks said:
too bad he's not a selfish baztard, a killer. with the right attitude, he would fight for the classics and not slave.
anyway, epic win.
He fought for the win in 2014 RVV. Was 4th in the sprint, despite letting GVA pull all the way and refusing to take any turns when Cancellara and Vanmarcke joined the duo. Too bad he rides for the wrong team, I'd say

Re:

PeterB said:
On the other hand, another tactical fail from LottoNL, no? I did not see them pullling at all. I know they had young team in this race but leaving all work to Cofidis just did not work.
All the team crashed in the downhill of the third category climb, groenewegen was ok and he continued alone, he cameback to the peloton and then won the sprint for the second place, verey impresive by Groenewegen.

Re:

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Apart from that, why should they have to work? They had their stage win already in the bag; it was now up to Cofidis to prove something.
Oh wow, sorry about the crash.

And why should they otherwise work? Well, they are not exactly a team which could say "let's ignore this opportunity, we will win next time as we please". They should simply try to utilise favourable circumstances while they can. But I can understand that argument, just not with this team.

Yeah Stijn! I love it. This is one of the great things about watching cycling year-round, to cheer on some meaningless stage in a 2.1 race in February because a guy who is so strong but can never win finally has the right configuration to pull it off. I am no Vandenbergh 'fan' (like, I don't cheer for him every race or anything) but he's clearly a fantastic workhorse who is just lacking the skills like attacking punch or sprint speed to close the deal, so it's lovely to see him get it. Did you see how happy Boonen was? I'm sure the whole team is.

:cool:
skidmark said:
Yeah Stijn! I love it. This is one of the great things about watching cycling year-round, to cheer on some meaningless stage in a 2.1 race in February because a guy who is so strong but can never win finally has the right configuration to pull it off. I am no Vandenbergh 'fan' (like, I don't cheer for him every race or anything) but he's clearly a fantastic workhorse who is just lacking the skills like attacking punch or sprint speed to close the deal, so it's lovely to see him get it. Did you see how happy Boonen was? I'm sure the whole team is.

He's certainly a rider that deserved another victory! Was riding well all week too, even in the hilly stages for his build!

Re:

Thanks HelloDolly. The funniest, for the lack of a better word, thing about cycling is how you end up looking like you're defending someone by pointing out they're not really that good. I actually thought Sky had done a lot better than it has.

And kudos to stretch and Wout, well deserved victories for both.