• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana 2017 (01.02. - 05.02.)

Stage 1 Orihuela › Orihuela TTT (38 km)

volta-a-la-comunitat-valenciana-2017-stage-1-1484488511.jpg

Stage 2 Alicante › Denia (181 km)

volta-a-la-comunitat-valenciana-2017-stage-2-1484488536.jpg

Stage 3 Canals › Riba-Roja de Túria (161 km)

volta-a-la-comunitat-valenciana-2017-stage-3-1484488559.jpg

Stage 4 Segorbe › Lucena del Cid (180 km)

volta-a-la-comunitat-valenciana-2017-stage-4-1484488578.jpg

Mas de la Costa

MasCosta.gif

Stage 5 Paterna › Valencia (124 km)

volta-a-la-comunitat-valenciana-2017-stage-5-1484488595.jpg

Teams

Ag2r (Naesen, Riblon)
Astana (Fuglsang, Scarponi)
BMC (GvA, Roche)
Burgos BH (Belda)
Caja Rural (Pardilla, Arroyo)
Cannondale (Rolland, Vanmarcke)
CCC (Paterski, Hirt)
Cofidis (Bouhanni, Navarro)
Dimension Data (Anton, Kudus)
Direct Energie (Coquard, Sicard)
Euskadi Basque Country - Murias (Bravo)
FDJ (Pinot, Reichenbach)
Gazprom (Foliforov, Lagutin)
Inteja Dominican Cycling Team
Israel Cycling Academy
Movistar (Quintana, Moreno, Amador)
Orica (Yates, Yates, Albasini)
Quick Step (Martin, Gilbert, Stybar)
Roompot (Kreder, Weening)
Spain (National Team)
Team Katusha-Alpecin (Martin, Zakarin)
Team Lotto NL (Kruijswijk, Roglic)
Team Sky (Poels, Kwiatkowski, Kennaugh)
Team UKYO (Prades)
W52 / FC Porto (Veloso)

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I like the route. What happens in the TTT will be crucial. Mas de la Costa is very steep but too short to make differences, the guy who wants to win there knows the good move is on the last kilometre, unless someone attacks on Puertomingalvo, it could be definitive as the rest of the stage before the climb is not a hard section and with many kms descending.

Pretty ridiculous route, pretty much only one relevant GC-stage outside of the big TTT. Don't get me wrong, I very much like long team time trials, but then you got to balance it out with the rest of the route (even tho thats really hard in just 5 stages). No matter what, it will be fun to watch that stage, Im expecting some pretty huge timegaps early on.

I think Quintana is the favourite, but Zakarin will be a good bet as well.

damian13ster said:
I like the TTT to be honest. It is something unique, interesting. Also, it will force teams to blow a race apart on those semi-hilly stages.
Or everyone will ride conservatively, race will suck, and will be decided by TTT. Who knows :)

I don't mind the TTT either; not every race has to follow the same script. It's not like it's a big WT race and most riders will just be there to get some kms in the legs. So at least the long TTT offers something different and unusual. The winner will probably have to put in an excellent team time trial and will also have to be good at muritos; that's an interesting combination and may open the GC up to riders who don't normally get a shot at the GC.

What an unbalanced route. :(

Should have at least 2 selective stages with such a long TTT. There is a risk that a man who will have the best cumulative time of the 4 remaining stages won't even make top10 overall, something like Boasson Hagen in last year's Eneco. That's rather bad IMO.

The TTT is way too long. I'd like to see FDJ show up with their A team. After last year's good performances, they could get their guys on top. Because if you win the TTT, you pretty much win the race.

Terrible design.

I'll be looking for Tibopino on the short MTF, if he can start it better than Malhao last year, he'll be a candidate for the stage win.

Terrible design...

Movistar, Quintana ftw.

You people and your balance talk. ;) Put in four mountain stages and an itt and everybody would be dancing around. Oh this is so good, no sprints, Zomegnan wanks to this, blablabla.

It's a prep race and digging deep for short periods of time, what you normally do in a ttt, seems like a good thing for riders to get in better shape. And it is something different. We don't get to see many ttt at this length and also on hilly courses. And if the overall race is decided after it, still nobody cares, because it's a prep race.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if they win but LottoNL actually has plenty of TT power in their squad. Wouldn't be a surprise if they compete for the win. Unpredictable early season shape and the fact that especially for a long TTT like this having practiced TTT together is important as well make the TTT very difficult to predictict, imo.

TRENDING THREADS