• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana 2020, Spain, February 5 - February 9

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Main take is Valverde bad, but then he probably shouldn't be flying this time of year.

Maybe he can still peak as high as previous years but it doesn't look like he's going to be at the same January-September level he always seems to be in. Sure, there was the second place in Mallorca and then the other day but this is the guy that won Valencia 3 of the last 4 years.

Good to see there is actually some sign of decline there, finally, anyway.

Reactions: postmanhat
Pogacar is a truly superb rider but he has already done altitude training and is in top form for team UAE's goal of wining the UAE tour..so formwise is ahead of the rest
I think the kid is the real deal and can win many GTs . However he needs to be managed well by his team and not too much expectation put on his shoulders. Many riders look unbeatable and then nada

Maybe like Quintana v Bernal ....Pogacar will win the Tour before Roglic for Slovenia ?

It's bad. If he gets dropped but it's like 7/8th half a minute back, it's no big deal. But these climbs are where he normally thrives. In Catalunya it was at least altitude and it was a far better field where he got wacked. Now there's only Pogacar.

Obviously there's no need to panic for his fans, but this result in itself is dire.
Deviates from his standard, yes. Inside 7 or 10 today would do it, but he was there with a teammate. I'm sure there's an explanation.
By the end of the month should be more clear.

deleted by mod

Being in the US it's pretty easy to not pay attention to cycling. It's rarely on TV anyway. It's actually very difficult to follow it. It won't be hard to stop watching or paying attention to it. Sorry, but I haven't found another rider who I'm like or care enough about to go out of my way to watch races. Again being in the US you have to search for races. Right now I've got college basketball on and the XFL starts their new season in about a half hour. Cycling mostly isn't on TV over here and when it is usually on tape delayed in the middle of the night.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is HORRIBLE. This is a very disastrous sign for this year and next year. Truthfully, I'm not sure there's any good reason to bother watching other than to say goodbye.
Age is catching up with him, finally, you have to accept it. We, most likely, won't see Alejandro Valverde's season-long immortal form anymore. But what we could see is one long peak like last year, hopefully in the summer/late summer. He's still capable to win big races, but the difference is that now he needs to build form much longer, and now he needs to be more careful where, when and how he races throughout the year, cause those old days when he had the form whenever he sits on the bike are most likely gone.

Age is catching up with him, finally, you have to accept it. We, most likely, won't see Alejandro Valverde's season-long immortal form anymore. But what we could see is one long peak like last year, hopefully in the summer/late summer. He's still capable to win big races, but the difference is that now he needs to build form much longer, and now he needs to be more careful where, when and how he races throughout the year, cause those old days when he had the form whenever he sits on the bike are most likely gone.

Possibly, hopefully he can pull off one long peak this summer like he did last summer. However he was still better last spring than he is this spring. I suspect next year he won't race outside of Spain. I just have this feeling that next year will be a farewell Tour for his Spanish fans.

People need to stop minimizing the things these youngsters do just because the top 10 gc riders aren't participating. You can only beat whoever you face in a race.
You missed the point. I;'m minimizing the messages like "Bernal should be worried" and stuff like that. On the basis on a result in Andalucia.

I even said it was impressive.

Read better between the lines, thanks.

Last edited:
No one is gonna stop him.
Maybe WADA, but I don't think they have anything to do here.
The guy's numbers are much more impresssive than Remcos and MVP'ls altogether.
The question is how hees ganna respond to the hype. and (or) hate.
No question, this year TdF winner. Blaaaaah

Jakobsen wins the final stage.

Interesting sprint. It seems like Groenewegen is practically unbeatable when coming out of someone’s wheel (or people’s wheels for that matter), kicking out of the stream of speed. Yet I’ve seen a few sprints these last couple of years where he’s lost when trying to kick at the same time as the guy in front of him or next to him. Guys who during a specific sprint might be a little strong facing the wind at the same time (and holding on longer).
Something him and his adversaries should take into account.

Today Jakobsen was simply stronger. Groenewegen literally died in the last 15m. It also didn't help Groenewegen took the outside, there was a little corner in the last 100m.
He was stronger. My point exactly. And not the first time Groenewegen died like that when facing the wind for more than a few seconds.
Jakobsen would have won the previous sprint as well if not for the very short sprint. He might actually be the strongest sprinter in the world if all sprinters would kick off at the same time for a 250m sprint (Gaviria maybe with a little more endurance but not the same speed).

Last edited:
He was stronger. My point exactly. And not the first time Groenewegen died like that when facing the wind for more than a few seconds.
Jakobsen would have won the previous sprint as well if not for the very short sprint. He might actually be the strongest sprinter in the world if all sprinters would kick off at the same time for a 250m sprint (Gaviria maybe with a little more endurance but not the same speed).
today was a very short sprint...

TRENDING THREADS