• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana 2021 (April 14-18)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Do you think the break will be allowed to go ahead in the two sprint stages with Demare and Ewan present - It's fantastic the race is going ahead because it gives an opportunity to young developing riders.
Sprint stages are always boring and never worth watching regardless of the race.

And that guy from a Continental team could go on to become a big name. Let me tell you something; back in 2008 a guy from a Continental team won Tour of Denmark, he's done pretty well for himself since then.
Still doesn't make it worth the time or energy to watch.

So... people in Spain don't care about up-and-coming riders?

Most don't appear to believe there are any. They seem to have decided that unless there is a new Contador or Valverde there aren't up and coming riders.

Still doesn't make it worth the time or energy to watch.

Why not?

Most don't appear to believe there are any. They seem to have decided that unless there is a new Contador or Valverde there aren't up and coming riders.

That's their loss.

---
What I'd like to know is why they have to ride so damn early in the day! Don't they realise we are some who have to work?

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Why not?

That's their loss.

---
What I'd like to know is why they have to ride so damn early in the day! Don't they realise we are some who have to work?

I don't see any reason to watch. The biggest reason to watch Tour of Utah is it's raced at dinner time. Races in Europe don't have that usefulness. Easier to watch a Marvel movie and most likely much more interesting and entertaining than what Valencia is going to provide.
It's their belief and so far there is nothing to prove they are wrong, including Spaniards currently in world tour teams.

I don't see any reason to watch. The biggest reason to watch Tour of Utah is it's raced at dinner time. Races in Europe don't have that usefulness.

Well, of course you have that handicap of time. (Mine is the fact that it happens while I'm at work...)

It's their belief and so far there is nothing to prove they are wrong, including Spaniards currently in world tour teams.

Two WorldTeam Spaniards won stages in the Tour of the Basque Country last week. One of them is 25, so he's got some years ahead of him.
And then there are the younger riders, the conti-team riders. Sure, some of them you may not have heard about, but... that's not a reason not to cheer for a rider, is it?

Well, of course you have that handicap of time. (Mine is the fact that it happens while I'm at work...)

Two WorldTeam Spaniards won stages in the Tour of the Basque Country last week. One of them is 25, so he's got some years ahead of him.
And then there are the younger riders, the conti-team riders. Sure, some of them you may not have heard about, but... that's not a reason not to cheer for a rider, is it?
I suspect with with the time of the stages they will be over before I even get out of bed.

Having no clue who a rider is is a good reason not to cheer because you don't know who they are.
They want basically Contador or Valverde reincarnated and anything less isn't good enough to many of them. The reaction I saw from many Spaniards was to congratulate the rider and not really care more than that.

Having no clue who a rider is is a good reason not to cheer because you don't know who they are.

I suppose it's different if you're not watching, but if you are watching a race, and a rider is solo in the front of a hotly pursuing peloton, with the victory in the balance, are you gonna care if you've never heard about that rider before?
And even if you're not watching, you're not gonna get curious if some unknown rider starts appearing in the top of the results-sheets?

I suppose it's different if you're not watching, but if you are watching a race, and a rider is solo in the front of a hotly pursuing peloton, with the victory in the balance, are you gonna care if you've never heard about that rider before?
And even if you're not watching, you're not gonna get curious if some unknown rider starts appearing in the top of the results-sheets?
As basically 99% and currently more like 100% of races are contested while I'm sleeping or working, the answer is not in a field like this one.

Really!!?? I find it hard to believe..I do not want to say you are very wrong because while there maybe some who holds that view point but there are plenty of others who couldn't care less about Velasco or Valve piti.

Yes, if you'd just answered 'yes' I'd have guessed Real next. That totally figures.

It doesn't matter what part of the country they are from. Most of my friends are from Murcia, but I have a few friends in other areas of the country. This includes two kids who were offered continental contracts after aging out of U-23 and turned the contracts down to finish their educations and get real jobs because their idea was if they couldn't attempt to follow Valverde's accelerations at 21/22 years old, they have no right having any pro contract and it's best to just finish school and get a real job. One isn't even doing anything at all with cycling, the other one is helping to coach. This is more the double edged sword of Valverde owning and running an amateur team.

It doesn't matter what part of the country they are from. Most of my friends are from Murcia, but I have a few friends in other areas of the country. This includes two kids who were offered continental contracts after aging out of U-23 and turned the contracts down to finish their educations and get real jobs because their idea was if they couldn't attempt to follow Valverde's accelerations at 21/22 years old, they have no right having any pro contract and it's best to just finish school and get a real job. One isn't even doing anything at all with cycling, the other one is helping to coach. This is more the double edged sword of Valverde owning and running an amateur team.
I didn't think they were from Madrid.

Well, I'm a Real supporter* and can't wait for the race to begin. Lots of talent instead of the usual suspacts at the start, it's gong to be really interesting.

*Not that I follow as such, not even the sport, but sometimes what club you support isn't really a calculated decision. Thing is I lived really close to Bernabeau for a while and went to see a game there which just blew me away.

TRENDING THREADS