• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a Portugal (2.1) 29/7 - 9/8

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

BigMac said:
Libertine Seguros said:
I love Mondim. This is always the sign that the Volta starts for real here. Big crowds, a legendary if not brutal climb beginning here, and it's just annually a great moment in the race.

And it's just around the corner from João da Ega's hometown :p

You read Os Maias? :D

Filipe Cardoso most combative of the day.
Yea, it's one of my favourite books. And because of A Volta I always remember that Ega's from Celorico, lol.

Cardoso starting to really grimace with 4km to go. Quite impressed with Sten van Gucht in the chase too - he's still over a minute ahead of the péloton, a 22-year-old Belgian who I'm not familiar with, but seems to be dealing well with heat and pace here.

Re:

BigMac said:
Efapel almost another 1-2-3 on Senhora da Graça!

Libertine Seguros said:
I like Joni Brandão, and I was all primed to throw my laptop out the window if he hadn't sat up then.

He's a team player. The guy's very humble.
It was that it looked like Filipe was going to be caught when the sprint came, and then it was his own teammate that did it, for a second I thought Délio was going with him and Joni was about to screw his teammate over AND lose the victory... in the end we got the Bert Dietz moment, which is always nice.

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
pedromiguelmartins said:
No! Mestre and Sousa getting stomped by w52, Milaneza style.
Sousa should know all about Milaneza style, so it's good to see him squashed like the insect he is by it.
Don't say that. IF it wasn't for him, many editions of the Volta would be a borefest. He's awesome and never wins it.
Anyway, wait for what happens after the rest day.

IF Joni Brandao wants the Volta, he should have gone for the kill!! He needs to take 2min on Gustavo before the last TT.

I can't fuc****ng believe that America Silva is still involved in cycling, specially as Efapel's JS. What a disgrace. Where is Manuel Zeferino to put him on his place?

He never wins it, and he never should. If he was going to win it it should have been in 2008 when he got that gift of several minutes from the break on Torre but couldn't hold on despite a super-strong Liberty Seguros team. If he was as strong as he has been approaching 40 back then, he would have won easily.

Stage:
1 Filipe Cardoso (Efapel-Glassdrive) POR 4'26'14
2 Joni Brandão (Efapel-Glassdrive) POR +mt
3 Gustavo César Veloso (W52-Quinta da Lixa) ESP +mt
4 Amaro Antunes (LA-Antarte) POR +4"
5 Délio Fernández (W52-Quinta da Lixa) ESP +4"
6 Alejandro Marque (Efapel-Glassdrive) ESP +8"
7 António Carvalho (W52-Quinta da Lixa) POR +8"
8 João Benta (Louletano-Ray Just Energy) POR +16"
9 Ricardo Vilela (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA) POR +23"
10 Daniel Silva (Radio Popular-Boavista) POR +25"

New GC: