• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a Portugal 2016 (2.1, 27.07./07.08.)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It took me a few hours to realize, that they put Alto de São Macário, which is the Mortirolo of Portugal, in the middle of a stage.

3bd9be39a8d23210a6b07e82c89d865e.jpg

Have they ever actually ridden São Macário in the Volta before? In the middle of the stage? I can't tell if LS will be joyous or in full on Tourmalet AGAIN mode.

I'm glad they're throwing it in there. New stuff can be re-used once it's done once.

Also happy to see a Oeste stage with Montejunto and a Margem Sul stage (well, I'd still want to see a Caparica or Sesimbra finish one day, the region gets too little love).

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I don´t like the route, but sometimes i the road things look better than in the paper.

Glad to see Serra da Arrábida in this route, i live clooser, and one of the sides of the climb as some steeper gradients. It is possible to make some diferences there, some seconds.

Re:

filipepc said:
I don´t like the route, but sometimes i the road things look better than in the paper.

Glad to see Serra da Arrábida in this route, i live clooser, and one of the sides of the climb as some steeper gradients. It is possible to make some diferences there, some seconds.

Looking at the distances it looks like a relatively long loop after going past alto das Necessidades and before Arrábida. They're definitely going past Azeitão and over the top of the ridge though. Could be punchy enough. And international viewers are gonna get an eyeful. Place is beautiful really.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
The place is amazing, believe me... If they are going to climb by the Azeitão side, the descend to Setúbal is very tricky and dangerous. It will be a very beautiful day and a surprise to many people.

They finally discovered São Macário... this is very much the "Grand Colombier in the 2012 Tour" or "Ancáres in the 2011 Vuelta" kind of discovery, but if it means in a couple of years they use this climb properly it's a necessary evil. This is a serious climb, 9,4km @ 9,2% with a max of nearly 20%, some inconsistent ramps and likely 35º+ heat. Should be a great one.

I wish they were doing a double loop on the penultimate stage. Yes, the region is beautiful, let's show it off by giving the audience twice the eyeful and creating a better stage as a result!

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
They finally discovered São Macário... this is very much the "Grand Colombier in the 2012 Tour" or "Ancáres in the 2011 Vuelta" kind of discovery, but if it means in a couple of years they use this climb properly it's a necessary evil. This is a serious climb, 9,4km @ 9,2% with a max of nearly 20%, some inconsistent ramps and likely 35º+ heat. Should be a great one.

I wish they were doing a double loop on the penultimate stage. Yes, the region is beautiful, let's show it off by giving the audience twice the eyeful and creating a better stage as a result!

I, honest to god, never realized it was that much. It's not much easier than stuff like Grand Ballon from Moosch and considerably harder than quite a few TDF regulars like Azet and Marie Blanque west. I wish I'd seen old man Cândido sprinting up this one. Gonna have to settle for Rui Horner... :D

An increasingly forlorn Força Hernâni! I think this might be the best chance others will have of unthroning César, with the non-MTF at Torre and Délio off racing in France. Of the estrangeiro teams, that Caja Rural team looks strong as well, just depends how much - if any - interest in the GC they have, as Zé Gonçalves, Hugh Carthy and Eduard Prades all could contribute on a few stages. Canty was good in Austria, how good will he be here? Will be interesting to see how Stalnov goes, he was climbing like an angel in Turkey.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Stalnov could surprise people.
It wil be interesting to see what the Funvic boys can do, Diniz and João Gaspar could surprise people and Flavio Santos is just a mean mofo with a big engine.

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Well going to watch the Montejunto stage, my training place, glad to see they are going to Arrábida, at least it's a change, anyway still miss those 200km and more Alentejo flat stages

TRENDING THREADS