• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Volta a Portugal 2016 (2.1, 27.07./07.08.)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

BalearicBeats said:
search said:
DNP-Old said:
Hugh Carthy also included. This is going to be brutal. Vamos Egan!

neither of them is on the final startlist though. Bernal is in Colombia to prepare for l'Avenir, no idea about Carthy

Carthy raced in the Basque country a few days ago, so he might be available. Would be a nice change to see believable guys racing :D

This comment is slightly ignorant. And doesn't belong here too.
 
Re: Re:

BigMac said:
BalearicBeats said:
search said:
DNP-Old said:
Hugh Carthy also included. This is going to be brutal. Vamos Egan!

neither of them is on the final startlist though. Bernal is in Colombia to prepare for l'Avenir, no idea about Carthy

Carthy raced in the Basque country a few days ago, so he might be available. Would be a nice change to see believable guys racing :D

This comment is slightly ignorant. And doesn't belong here too.

It is, I'm just joking (and not the first one to do so in this thread).
 
Jul 15, 2016
72
0
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

BalearicBeats said:
BigMac said:
BalearicBeats said:
search said:
DNP-Old said:
Hugh Carthy also included. This is going to be brutal. Vamos Egan!

neither of them is on the final startlist though. Bernal is in Colombia to prepare for l'Avenir, no idea about Carthy

Carthy raced in the Basque country a few days ago, so he might be available. Would be a nice change to see believable guys racing :D

This comment is slightly ignorant. And doesn't belong here too.

It is, I'm just joking (and not the first one to do so in this thread).

I wasn't joking!!
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
4
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
StryderHells said:
Anderis said:
My Cannondale bias will make me rooting for Drapac here, Canty especially.

Some interesting names on startlist.

I think Canty will struggle here, they put out some massive numbers on the climbs in Portugal

Clinical reasons, right?

Yep :D

nope[/quote]

Please expand.[/quote]
portugese cycling scene was cleaned up big time, starting in 2009. since then the results have been normal. I mean last year alto torre. please provide me evidence of these ridiculous watt numbers because I don't believe it at all. back when they were doping the gaps were monstrous, which is usually an indication of doping anyway. huge differences in level. well these are gone. last year torre the top 10 were within 20 seconds or so
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
4
0
Visit site
Re:

BigMac said:
He's probably talking about the Senhora da Graça climb last year which provided some huge numbers, but the rest of the Volta seemed rather normal.
the senhora de graca climb is a short and pretty easy climb which always results in small timegaps except in the dopingera
 
Re:

BigMac said:
He's probably talking about the Senhora da Graça climb last year which provided some huge numbers, but the rest of the Volta seemed rather normal.

I don't really want to stray to far into this here (shouldn't of said anything in the first place) because I know it's not allowed but that stage did spark my interest. I will leave it alone now :)
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
4
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
BigMac said:
He's probably talking about the Senhora da Graça climb last year which provided some huge numbers, but the rest of the Volta seemed rather normal.

I don't really want to stray to far into this here (shouldn't of said anything in the first place) because I know it's not allowed but that stage did spark my interest. I will leave it alone now :)
then I'm sure you never saw cycling of the portugese scene of the 2000-2007 era. one has to only look at the alto de torre 2007 climb of david blanco to know what I mean
 
Re: Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
BigMac said:
He's probably talking about the Senhora da Graça climb last year which provided some huge numbers, but the rest of the Volta seemed rather normal.
the senhora de graca climb is a short and pretty easy climb which always results in small timegaps except in the dopingera
it wasn't the timegaps it was the power numbers that caused the attention.

Anyway, A Grande is here! With Délio now having got out to France and no Torre MTF, this will be the best chance to dethrone César I think. Unfortunately it also means the race is more well suited to Horner, hopefully age finally catches up with him. That said, it should be good for Joni too with this route. Nocentini's in good form though, and you can't rule out Marque either, though he's seemed a level below since his brief flirtation with the top level. Hoping for Antunes to kick on, LA are my favourite of the domestic teams.

I like the look of the Caja Rural squad but their ability to impact the GC will probably depend on who's going to also do the Vuelta, remembering LLS a couple of years ago where he looked great for a bit but was still building form so ran out of gas before the end of the race. They along with probably Belda are likely the most dangerous outsiders for the GC, but I can see Vigano and Gavazzi definitely contending for stages, maybe some of the Drapac guys too.
 
Re: Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
TMP402 said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
StryderHells said:
Anderis said:
My Cannondale bias will make me rooting for Drapac here, Canty especially.

Some interesting names on startlist.

I think Canty will struggle here, they put out some massive numbers on the climbs in Portugal

Clinical reasons, right?

Yep :D

nope

Please expand.[/quote]
portugese cycling scene was cleaned up big time, starting in 2009. since then the results have been normal. I mean last year alto torre. please provide me evidence of these ridiculous watt numbers because I don't believe it at all. back when they were doping the gaps were monstrous, which is usually an indication of doping anyway. huge differences in level. well these are gone. last year torre the top 10 were within 20 seconds or so[/quote]

Hahahha :D :D :D

I hope veloso will be under attack this year. Going with brandao
My heart always with mythical rui sousa.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
2
0
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks that the Funvic guys could be competitive? Diniz and João Gaspar ( last year he finished 2nd behind his teammate Kleber Ramos on the queenstage of the Tour de Rio, ahead of Sevilla and Veloso, riding as a stagiaire for Funvic) could do something, and Flavio Santos is just Flavio Santos. Kleber Ramos and Murilo Affonso aren't riding, but they still have a strong team and I think that riding the Volta is a big deal for the team.
PS: Murilo Fischer getting a spot on in the Olympic RR team over Diniz is a joke.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
4
0
Visit site
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Am I the only one who thinks that the Funvic guys could be competitive? Diniz and João Gaspar ( last year he finished 2nd behind his teammate Kleber Ramos on the queenstage of the Tour de Rio, ahead of Sevilla and Veloso, riding as a stagiaire for Funvic) could do something, and Flavio Santos is just Flavio Santos. Kleber Ramos and Murilo Affonso aren't riding, but they still have a strong team and I think that riding the Volta is a big deal for the team.
PS: Murilo Fischer getting a spot on in the Olympic RR team over Diniz is a joke.
the funvic guys usually really suck outside of america.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
2
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
Mayomaniac said:
Am I the only one who thinks that the Funvic guys could be competitive? Diniz and João Gaspar ( last year he finished 2nd behind his teammate Kleber Ramos on the queenstage of the Tour de Rio, ahead of Sevilla and Veloso, riding as a stagiaire for Funvic) could do something, and Flavio Santos is just Flavio Santos. Kleber Ramos and Murilo Affonso aren't riding, but they still have a strong team and I think that riding the Volta is a big deal for the team.
PS: Murilo Fischer getting a spot on in the Olympic RR team over Diniz is a joke.
the funvic guys usually really suck outside of america.
Yeah, usually they do, but I still have some hope.