• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta a Portugal 2022 (August 4-15)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Old man Cardoso and Murguialday out of the first group after the Sameiro climb.

EDIT - Cardoso lost nearly 50 seconds. Still 5th but now he has Marque and Délio much closer. Murguialday was able to finish with the main GC group so his top10 hopes are still alive.

Last edited:
Stage
Clipboard.png

GC

Clipboard-GC.png

Reactions: Sandisfan
Não-Tugão Classification for the stage:

1 Txomin Juaristi (Euskaltel-Euskadi) ESP 3'32'03
2 Calum Johnston (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA) GBR +st
3 Joey Rosskopf (Human Powered Health) USA +st
4 Asier Etxebarria (Euskaltel-Euskadi) ESP +1'27
5 Juan António López-Cozar (Burgos-BH) ESP +1'28
6 Mateu Estelrich (Electro Hiper Europa-Caldas) ESP +st
7 Scott McGill (Wildlife Generation Pro Cycling) USA +1'47
8 Unai Cuadrado (Euskaltel-Euskadi) ESP +st
9 Roberto Carlos González (Java-Kiwi Atlántico) PAN +st
10 Victor Langelotti (Burgos-BH) MON +st

Murguialday loses a fair bit of his lead as Juaristi becomes a bit of a threat.

1 Jokin Murguialday (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA) ESP 29'25'29
2 Txomin Juaristi (Euskaltel-Euskadi) ESP +1'59
3 Yesid Pira (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA) COL +3'46
4 Barry Miller (BAI-Sicasal-Petro de Luanda) USA +6'32
5 Calum Johnston (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA) GBR +7'01
6 Roberto Carlos González (Java-Kiwi Atlántico) PAN +7'43
7 Unai Cuadrado (Euskaltel-Euskadi) ESP +7'48
8 Thomas Armstrong (Electro Hiper Europa-Caldas) GBR +9'38
9 Éric Fagundez (BAI-Sicasal-Petro de Luanda) URU +16'45
10 Victor Langelotti (Burgos-BH) MON +17'26

Last edited:
I have my doubts that Figueiredo will be able to create a significant gap to Mauri Moreira on the SdG climb.
He probably has to do what he did the last 2 years, go crazy on the steep 2nd half of the Barreiro climb with it's murito section.
If Mauri can't follow the rest of the team should stay pasdive and let the others, or what is left of them, do all the work until the final climb. Then Mauri and Carvalho can go on the attack, the former to win the gc, the later to make it on the podium.

I have my doubts that Figueiredo will be able to create a significant gap to Mauri Moreira on the SdG climb.
He probably has to do what he did the last 2 years, go crazy on the steep 2nd half of the Barreiro climb with it's murito section.
If Mauri can't follow the rest of the team should stay pasdive and let the others, or what is left of them, do all the work until the final climb. Then Mauri and Carvalho can go on the attack, the former to win the gc, the later to make it on the podium.
Agree. Monte Farinha is not known for creating big gaps ever since it was repaved many years ago. Even the radioactive performances of Balarcón only amounted to a few seconds.

Figueiredo would need at least a minute on Moreira to dream of holding on to yellow after the final ITT. Unless he cracks at Barreiro (which is a climb with a section that suits Figueiredo very well but it's relatively short), I don't see him losing this Volta. Even if he cracks, unless it's a complete meltdown, there's still more than 30km until the beginning of Monte Farinha which wouldn't benefit a lone man and specially a lightweight like Figueiredo.

Agree. Monte Farinha is not known for creating big gaps ever since it was repaved many years ago. Even the radioactive performances of Balarcón only amounted to a few seconds.

Figueiredo would need at least a minute on Moreira to dream of holding on to yellow after the final ITT. Unless he cracks at Barreiro (which is a climb with a section that suits Figueiredo very well but it's relatively short), I don't see him losing this Volta. Even if he cracks, unless it's a complete meltdown, there's still more than 30km until the beginning of Monte Farinha which wouldn't benefit a lone man and specially a lightweight like Figueiredo.
It comes down to how many ridera would be left in the gc group behind him after the Barreiro climb and who'd be willing to chase.
2 years ago he and Amaro (who got dropped by him on the Barreiro climb) got a big gap before the final climb, but that had a lot to do with Efapel being Efapel...

It comes down to how many ridera would be left in the gc group behind him after the Barreiro climb and who'd be willing to chase.
2 years ago he and Amaro (who got dropped by him on the Barreiro climb) got a big gap before the final climb, but that had a lot to do with Efapel being Efapel...
Moreira will probably be able to, at least, stay with the Boavista guys. It can get tricky if they try to attack the descend since he's a complete donk, but an idiot like """Professor""" Zé Santos is unlikely to think of that. Anyway, I really don't rate Figueiredo chances of staying clear if he has a 30s advantage or something.

• Wow
Adorable seeing the Burgos riders all coming in arm in arm to celebrate Langelotti's stage win like they were the victorious Jumbo domestiques at the Tour.

First professional win for the Monegasque, and I'm not sure if it may even be the first professional win by any Monegasque cyclist. I certainly can't find any others from a quick bit of research, maybe some more in-depth searching will turn something up.

Adorable seeing the Burgos riders all coming in arm in arm to celebrate Langelotti's stage win like they were the victorious Jumbo domestiques at the Tour.

First professional win for the Monegasque, and I'm not sure if it may even be the first professional win by any Monegasque cyclist. I certainly can't find any others from a quick bit of research, maybe some more in-depth searching will turn something up.
Nice win for him, I remember him riding a really good uphill prologue in Valle d'Aosta in the u23 ranks.

Reactions: Lui98 and Sandisfan

In the category "Monegasque cyclists" on wikipedia there is only one entry. And it's him. Antoine Berlin is another Monegasque rider who has a decent ride from time to time but they're the only two I can think of.

The list of top riders from Monaco on PCS is literally just those two.
For (most) other countries they always list 10.
PCS also has a born in section which only lists 4 riders born in Monaco, Langelotti and Berlin plus 2 others Albert Vigna (1891) and Laurent Devalle (1892).
Cycling Archives has 18 riders and none outside of Langelotti have won a pro race.

Last edited:
Can you post that list?
You could just go to Cycling Archives (or First Cycling) and filter by nation :p

Anyway it looks like most of them come from results in the same races, a few hillclimbs and crits held in and around Monaco from the mid 2000s to the mid 2010s, whether that's because those races then died off or because Cycling Archives only has the records for them in those years I don't know:
Mickaël Bouget (5/3/80) - won a crit in 2008 in Monaco
Arnaud Caraccioli (DOB unknown) - only result logged a crit result in Monaco in 2010
Nicolas d'Angelo (17/3/94) - was on a French elite amateur team in 2014 and competed in the Mediterranean Games in 2013
Laurent Devalle (15/1/1892) - entered Tour de France in 1921, 22 and 24
Arnaud Dubois (DOB unknown) - entered hillclimb races on Col de la Madone and Col de Turini around the turn of the 2010s, winning on the latter in 2009
Pascal Garnier (DOB unknown) - one result, a crit in Monaco in 2006
Lionel Ipert (DOB unknown) - 3rd in a crit in 2008, 4th in the Col de la Madone hillclimb in 2010
Victor Langelotti (7/6/95) - the guy we're talking about here
Cédric Ligier (DOB unknown) - won the Turini hillclimb in 2010
Roger Miquet (DOB unknown) - crit results in 2008 and 2009
Stéphane Operto (25/11/66) - entered Olympic RR in 1988 (while it was still amateur)
Albert Pannaci (DOB unknown) - no results logged
Nicolas Philibert (30/5/85) - got some results on the French amateur calendar in 2013-14, rode on an elite amateur team in 2015
Anthony Picoulet (DOB unknown) - two top 5s in the GP d'Andon in 2011-12
Mickaël Poulin (DOB unknown) - 2nd in the Madone hillclimb in 2009
Claude Viano (DOB unknown) - won the national championship in 1956. It seems most of the other entrants were French with the top Monegasque getting the jersey.
Albert Vigna (29/1/1891) - entered the Tour de France in 1926
Rodolphe von Berg Jr. (4/10/93) - won the Col de Turini hillclimb in 2012 and did some French amateur races in 2013.

Cycling Archives has Antoine Berlin down as French, although his 13th in the Vuelta a Murcia, 15th in the Sibiu Tour and 8th in the Tour des Pays de Savoie obviously massively outstrips most of these guys for results.

TRENDING THREADS