• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2023, March 20-26

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I know we're in a post-truth world these days, but to suggest this Remco-Roglic commentary is the norm is going overboard. I couldn't watch this morning; when I came online to open this thread and saw there were 14 pages of comments after just stage 1 of Catalunya, I knew that Remco and Roglic had to have been involved (in some way) in the finale) !4 pages and the day is not over. Both Paris-Nice and Tirreno, arguably much bigger races with big star power, each had 8 pages of comment after their respective first stages. And that Stage 1 of PN included Pogacar and Vingo, in their first big rematch since the Tour, sprinting for mountain bonus points. Yet Remco and Roglic generate twice as much commentary.
Maybe that's because folks are more into their rivalry, then that of Pog-Vingo? Just a hunch. And if you think this is crazy, wait until next year when it will be the rivalry between Remco and Tadej/Jonas.

• Haha
Reactions: noob
It was raced extremely passively in 2013 and 2014 IIRC. I don't think it's very representative. 30 guys within a minute in 2013. It's similar in profile to Pico Jano except harder and higher. One team can decide to drill the first 3rd and gaps are big.

Unless I'm in extremely good shape I'm not even trying to follow Evenepoel I'm just looking at my stem probably.

That said, IIRC Tortosa was basically the most biblical VAM of like 2012-2019
If it’s raced hard, I agree the gap from first to tenth will probably be towards or even a bit above the upper bound of those previous four stages, especially if Evenepoel and/or Roglic is in great climbing form. However, with a bigger MTF to come (which usually isn't the case when Vallter is used, only in 2013 when there was a Port Ainé MTF the day after), there isn’t as much incentive to force big gaps, and we all know Roglic is usually happy to let it come down to a sprint. So there’s a good case to be made for a more defensively-raced climb and therefore smaller gaps (around half a minute from first tot tenth) as well.

Reactions: Tonton and noob
Nope, don't think so :) ealier someone listed a few riders that didn't even made the top10 and won the Giro.

It depends on what riders compete in the preparation race. Guys like Roglic and Evenepoel fight for victory in every race and it's likely that they will be on the podium both in Catalunya and at the Giro. Similarly Pog and Vinge were both top3 in Nice and nobody is expecting someone else as a Tour winner. If guys like them are far in the GC something is really off.

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Congratulations to Primož Roglič for winning a prestigious sprint and taking the leaders jersey.

Finally the Roglič vs Evenepoel season started. First stage and they are already sprinting cheek to cheek. Trying to win a stage. JV did a great job today. Gesink doing some work early, Kruijswijk and Foss chasing down the breakaway, Kuss did a pull ... If i seen correctly Bouwman doing the leadout. It might have come a bit too early but Roglič did the rest. To secure the win.

To be honest i didn't expect Evenepoel in such position. First thought was he improved a whole lot in the past 6 months. But after watching the replay the truth is Evenepoel was extensively using draft and was gaining speed coming from behind mainly due to starting early. This i must say is rather smart tactics for him. But when Roglič turned on the afterburner. Nobody was gaining anything anymore. Roglič was rather considerate and instead of celebrating lifted Evenepoel spirit up. This generation of eddies should in my opinion be rather grateful. For having a mentor like that.

The best sprinter won.

P.S. Too bad for the crash. Yates being out of GC is rather bad for this race. Climbers should really try to put the duo under some pressure. That is on why both are here. Tomorrow first big test in mountains.

Bad news for Cataldo, Trek says multiple fractures:
"A CT scan performed at the hospital revealed that Dario has sustained a fractured left femoral head & right acetabulum (the ‘ball & socket’ joint of the hip), two transverse process fractures of the lumbar spine without neurological impact, multiple broken ribs with a collapsed lung on both sides and a fractured left collarbone. "

View: https://twitter.com/TrekSegafredo/status/1637902368443604993
Genuinely quite terrifying . One of the worst injury list I read in a long time , and it happen to a lovely guy who is in the end of his career seasons. I was gone training and come back and it make d me genuinely sad to read that.

Tomorrow this thread will collapse.
There is like 3 options and they will all potentially lead to great content:
  1. Remco wins. This race is full of riders training and no one cares.
  2. Remco drops. Kid cant climb.
  3. Roglic beats Remco in the sprint. No race analysis is allowed.
And we are still in March.

Might as well merge it with the Remco is the New Pogacar thread.

I know we're in a post-truth world these days, but to suggest this Remco-Roglic commentary is the norm is going overboard. I couldn't watch this morning; when I came online to open this thread and saw there were 14 pages of comments after just stage 1 of Catalunya, I knew that Remco and Roglic had to have been involved (in some way) in the finale) Fourteen pages and the day is not over. Both Paris-Nice and Tirreno, arguably much bigger races, which also had big star power, each had 8 pages of comments after their respective first stages. And that Stage 1 of PN included Pogacar and Vingo, in their first big rematch since the Tour, sprinting for mountain bonus points. Yet Remco and Roglic generate twice as much commentary.
I wonder how much of the commentary is commentary about the commentary.

TRENDING THREADS